1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Blair...

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Barmy Army, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Looks like he's finally getting forced out.

Can you say 'Wooo!'

2. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Let's see what his replacement looks like before we celebrate. ;)

3. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

From where I'm standing (on the opposite side of the world from where he rules) he seemed, in general, a very reasonable, level headed person. Until he became Bush's lapdog. If it weren''t for that point, I would be very surprised if the replacement measured up anywhere near his standards. But then in saying that, I'm not very knowledgable on UK politics :)

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Every politician falls out of favour sooner or later. It's just Tony Blair's turn now.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Everybody will love him again in about 15 years time (or if he dies). That seems to be the way of things. Look at how popular Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton are now, never mind the idol like status that John Kennedy has.

6. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

It's always the way of things HB. I dare say 5 years, not 15 for Blair. All things considered I agree with Rotku. Then again, is being the lapdog of the US a good decision or a bad one? You could make an enemy of the world but as long as the US is your friend it doesn't matter.

7. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

It certainly does matter if it looses you the vote back home.

8. Abomination Gems: 26/31

I'm talking from the country's perspective, not Blair's :p

If parlimentarians weren't afraid of being voted out of office (as in if they were voted out they wouldn't care so much, and go back to doing whatever it was they did before being a parlimentarian... eating kittens or whatever) they could push forward those unpopular yet brilliant policies most countries need.

Staying in office doesn't mean always making the right decisions, it means always making the most popular ones.

9. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

When Blair started, he was anti-conservative, wanted to stand up for the minorities, improve womens rights and things like that. Somehow he just changed overnight and comes out with comments such as "I also don't believe that homosexuals should get married" (echoing Bu$h). Do we really want someone that runs the UK based on his or her religious beliefs?

From a N.Irish point of view, he has released Republic and and Unionist thugs from prison early to terrorize their neighbourhoods again, and he is hell bent on giving all of our natural resources to foreign companies. The water service, our docks and Lough Neigh belong to N.Ireland, not to the highest bidder!

Bring back John Major, all is forgiven!

[ Or Maggie Thatcher while we're at it! :grin: ] - Beren

[ September 11, 2006, 09:06: Message edited by: Beren ]

10. Rotku

But aren't the popular ones the right ones in democracy? If we wanted otherwise we would have an oligarchy or a monarcy or some sort, where the masses don't vote.

11. Abomination Gems: 26/31

The popular decisions CAN be the right decisions but often they are not. I stand by the idea that most people don't know how to run a country, they don't know what is required and they only care about being able to afford to pay all their bills.

Most people need to be led to the correct decision when it comes to running a country and sometimes a country needs to be very harsh to make sure that the goals of the country are met.

Give somebody enough rope and they'll hang themsleves. Make life too easy for people and they become complacent. Grant people a few more rights and they'll abuse at least one of them before the year is ended.

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That's exactly my point!

13. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    You might also say that a democracy is about voting yourself to other people's money...

14. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
  15. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have to admit, Tony Blair was a big part of why I supported the Iraq war in the beginning. He had the credibility that George Bush lacked, in my view. I think this was the case with a lot of Americans at the time. It really is too bad he let the Bush Administration have their way with him. Who knows where we'd be today had he only had the balls to be the voice of reason. That said, it does make you wonder if the Bush administration twisted his arm to get his support, and what they used for leverage. Because when you think about it, Britain had very little to gain by the campaign. Blair had to have known that even in Iraq was a complete success, Bush would have taken all the credit anyway. It can certainly be argued that Britain's recent Islamic terrorism problems are a result of Blair's involvement with Bush...

16. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    You're kidding, right?
    I mean, yes, he is a better liar than Bush - he at least TRIES to come up with excuses, no matter how lame they are (and boy were they lame). But credible? There's several scandals that have come up against him, including (surprise surprise - not) that he fabricated (yet another) story about WMDs in Iraq. Not to mention that one of his close allies (Ian Blair - no relation) is involved in more cover-ups and outright withdrawing of evidence (including but not limited to the de Menezes affair) than I care to count. That's really not my definiation of credible. And for the record, his pro-American stance (to the point of blindly going for whatever Washington wants without a second's thought for Britain) dates as far back 1997, the year he became Prime Minister.

17. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

You mean: Do we (you) really want someone that runs UK based on Bush's religious beliefs?

And as to a non-sarcastic/cynical response, I would say America needs to ask the same question...

18. Abomination Gems: 26/31

I thought the justification for removing Saddam from power was that he ran a country based on horrible religious beliefs... oh the irony.

Hey! China! Time to invade that horrible fundamentalist country known as the United States of America!

19. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

From what I heard Blair is quite a religious person himself. Although nothing strong enough to have kept him from pretensions of sincerity, evidently.

Around here it is upheld that Hussein regarded al-Qaeda (or other groups with a religious impetus) as a threat to his regime. If it werent for the oil of Iraq he might have ended up as an ally of the US - again. Who's to say. Instead of Pakistan, which is a veritable breeding ground for terrorism and, apparently, has done so much to spread WMDs in recent years. Now that Iraq has been turned into a big training facility for terrorists, US vendettas lead to Iran, not Pakistan. It's all rather amusing, I think.

20. Abomination Gems: 26/31

I recently heard Blair in Lebanon and frankly I can't help but respect the man. He's a brilliant public speaker, charismatic and nobody could call him stupid.

I just think its a shame that he will lose out because of the whole Middle-East thing when in everything else he seems to be a very good PM.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.