1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BlackBerry 5810: Unlockable?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Disciple of The Watch, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Hey.

I recently got a hold of a Rogers Wireless BlackBerry 5810 (yes, the old reliables), and I was wondering if any other cellphone cracks (not that you're not a crack, empath, but I don't think that is your department ;) ) out there could possibly tell me if there is a way to unlock the thingie.

I most certainly *do not want* to be stuck with a monthly package for 6 months and 250 bucks to get the damn code. Rogers have already ****ed me of nearly 400 bucks in the past, and I believe it's time for me to do the same to them. :evil:

Anyhoo, if it's possible to unlock the thing, I would probably use it on Fido. Yes, yes, they have been bought out by Rogers, I know, but Fido offer more competitive rates, and that BB uses only the PCS band, so, better off with Fido.

So, if anyone knows of any means to unlock BB, please do share your wisdom :D

[Msg for Tal: I don't think this is an illegal issue, but if it is, then delete the topic, lock it, or whatever mean you deem appropriate.]

2. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Well, what do you mean by 'unlocking'? It doesn't work at all? :confused:

3. Disciple of The Watch

Yes, the phone works fine, but I am talking about removing the SIM lock - the lock that makes the phone accepts only the SIM cards of the original carrier (I.E: My BlackBerry is locked to Rogers, so it will only accept Rogers SIM cards)

When the SIM lock is removed (and the phone unlocked), the phone accepts SIM cards from any carrier. That is this very lock I seek to remove, to use the phone with another provider.

4. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

In Poland when one want to remove the SIM lock he goes to a shop witha all that cell phone stuff and ask the shopkeeper to do it. It's pretty cheap (4-5 beers) and takes only few minutes :)

5. Disciple of The Watch

Well, after doing some research, there is a place in Edmonton that offers unlocking, but I don't know if they unlock BB... but if they do it, I have a feeling it's gonna cost me... they offer Treo unlock for 75$...

If my contact still worked at Rogers... it might have been do-able... Say, that gives me an :idea: ... :evil:

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    IIRC, unlocking a cellphone is tricky, and is eaiser to find an unlocked version on eBay. :thumb:

Like this one I just found for you! BlacBerry 5810 :rolling:

7. Disciple of The Watch

Thanks for taking the time to find one on eBay, Kitrax, I appreciate it. But I don't really wish to buy another BB, mainly because I haven't received mine yet :p

Yeah, I've done quite a bit of research on unlocking phones... BlackBerries are among the hardest to unlock, it is said. I have heard rumors about a clip to unlock all BlackBerries under work, but that was some time ago. The easiest solution would be a prog that could calculate unlock codes based on IMEI, but finding the damn program is gonna be a serious pain in the ass. You wouldn't happen to know where I could find one such prog, do you, Kitrax? Sure would help me.

8. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I asked Jeeves, and he told me to ask google. :p

Seriously though...I have no idea on how to unlock cell phones. Sorry. :confused: :rolling:

9. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Can't you just plug it to your comp, download the prog, and replace the firmware much like with DVD-drives?

10. Disciple of The Watch

Hmm... yeah, that could do the trick, as I have the cable and the cradle that allows connection to a PC... hmmm... problem will be to get the said firmware. Still, that's a step in the right direction.

11. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

All right, I have to ask. Why did you buy a phone/organizer-thingy with service to a company you hate? Wasn't it mentioned on ebay or wherever you bought it? :confused: Caveat Emptor.

12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I would imagine he got a good deal on the device for signing up with the company. He is now trying to circumvent that agreement with them...

13. Disciple of The Watch

Oh yes, t'was a one hell of a sweet deal indeed. $9.95 (ends up costing $30, US$-CAN$ conversion, money order issuing fees :rolleyes: ) for a BlackBerry, completly free of sevice term (no, 'sevice' is not a typo, that's the loving nickname I have given to terms :shake: )

Well, I am already a long-time Rogers subscriber, and they're the only GSM carrier to offer BlackBerries. I guess I could have gotten a Telus BlackBerry, but they are the most expensive carrier. And Bell Stupidity... I'd rather drown in a sewer than using their service :almostmad:

Back to GSM. Getting my BB unlocked would be pretty handy even if it's just the possibility of using local SIM cards when travelling instead of paying enormous roaming fees.

I don't really mind staying with Rogers, the service is good, but definitively not the best.

If I can get it unlocked, all the better, if not, then I'll just bring my unlocked 3595 with me when travelling.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.