1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Black Isle Studios Board Update

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, Apr 5, 2001.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by Darien)

Well the boards have been busy, so there's a lot here. Here's the latest update from the Black Isle Studios message boards.

Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal

Dave Gaider, Senior Designer:

About revealing too much about Throne of Bhaal: We'd post more responses, but most of the posts are speculation. And speculation is funner to watch then address...not that addressing would help, much.

There's only so much we're willing to tell, after all. Much of the things you've heard about will make much more sense when you actually play...and the only way to address them before-hand is to explain the whole story. Which we will not do.

Ending the rampant speculation:

Sarevok IS the new joinable NPC. Period.

The only one. Period.

For lots of reasons that will make sense once you play and will not be revealed before-hand. Like any other NPC, you will not be forced to take him in your party. It's up to you how you react to him.

On Jaheira's age: She's only supposed to be 23? Well, that's according to her bio, I suppose. I've always thought of her being in her early 30's.

But, then, I think of her as acting like she's in her early 30's. I've known people in their 20's who were very mature for their age...and from Jaheira's background, you can probably tell she's packed quite a bit of living into a short amount of time.

I wouldn't consider her Harper background to be all that extensive. She was still an agent when you met her, after all, and not a full Harper (she hadn't earned her pin, yet).

But, then, she did speak of Gorion like he was an old friend, so that always made me think of her as a bit older.

But there you go.

On Viekang and Wild Mages: Did we not say that the whole Viekang thing would be solved in ToB? Those of you who were confused by his sudden disappearance in Trademeet will finally understand what that was all about.

And, no, he isn't a wild mage, either.

Good lord, man, pull yourself together! The Wild Mage was a kit we almost had in BG2 and have polished up to include in the expansion for those people who enjoy that sort of thing. It's not the focus of the expansion, nor did we ever even hint that the NPC had anything to do with the kit.

I guess this means you'll have to replay the game more than once. Perish the thought, eh?

Including more evil playable options: Right now, we're trying to include as many real evil options as we can. I know personally I've been adding more 'evil' replies into dialogue...sometimes just for effect, sometimes a path of its own.

Some guy: "Excuse me, sir... I would not disturb you, I know how powerful you are and I... I would not think of, uhhh... but I need your help! I beg you!

1) "Certainly, what is the problem?"
    2) "Is there a reward involved?"
    3) "Yeah, well, things are tough all over. Take a hike."
    4) "Let me put you out of your misery, then, fool." (Attack)

Stuff like that. As far as the game overall goes (including the ultimate ending), let me just say is that we're keeping all options (including evil ones) open."

The Amulet of Power class restrictions: If it's in the description, then yes...paladins and rangers are supposed to be restricted. I don't know what the original concept for the item was supposed to be, but the general tendency for us is to stick with the description as written rather than change the description itself (if possible).

Attacks by Familiars: That rabbit is just wack. When I was going through the familiars for their upgrade, the rabbit had all sorts of strange stuff I don't remember it having last time I looked. Fire damage? Yeesh. Code creep, I guess. As far as the individual attacks go, no...they were never set out to do 1d6 damage each. It depended on the creature type. The cat should have an attack though.

Well, I won't go into the gross details of what's being done with the familiars, but they are being powered-up a little overall. Keep in mind that's it's still a small extra and a 1st-level spell...we're not looking to make them into monsters, here.

HP's are being increased, resistances that they had are increased, plus they get either a new spell-like ability (or two), better attacks or better skills (each of the neutral animals now has one thief skill that they are a master in).

But for details on exactly what's what, you'll have to see in the game itself."

Regarding crowded cities: Actually, we've found an OK way of doing it, recently. We have the ability to keep a certain number of sprites 'on-screen' at any one time. As soon as they go off-screen, they DestroySelf. So it's a constant re-spawning process. On a decent-level processor, you can get quite a crowd without too much speed-loss.

Thing is, we have to keep min-spec machines in mind, as well, so we're always going to have a limitation on the number of animations that can be processed by the computer at any one time. If you have a big area loaded in (like, say, Waukeen's Promenade) you have to account for all the 'placed' characters that aren't just random crowd members, as well...and that takes up a lot of processing power, as well.

That said, we've got some spectacular mass-combat situations in store for you guys. Imagine being able to keep 20 opponents on-screen constantly. Blow away 5 soldiers, here come another 5 charging in from off-screen...it's pretty intense.

But you'll have to see it for yourself, I'm sure.

Mark Darrah, Lead Programmer:

On Wild Surges: Wild surges: The level modification is in. The code is pretty close to the Tome of Magic. The surge chart is slightly different and the item control does not happen.

And Wild Magic: Except for some specific in game exceptions, single classes Wild Mages are the only ones affected by Wild Magic. They are certainly the only ones who have access to the Wild Magic spells.

On Deleting spells from spell book: In TOB you will be able to erase spells from your spell book.

On multiclassed characters: Multiclassed characters get a mixture of abilities from the 2 classes. As to being underpowered. At 4000000XP (half of 8 million) you will be able to cast 9th level spells. Now triple classed characters on the other hand... Then again the wide selection of abilities does go some way to balancing this.

Charles Deenen, Director of Audio:

Regarding music in Throne of Bhaal: TOB will have additional new music, about 20-25 minutes of stuff. The music is made to fit with the area and story of BG2-TOB.

Currently, Mr. Hoenig's involvement will be fairly limited, since he's working on 2 new TV shows. However, the music will be following his style and themes. If you liked the music in the opening and ending movies of BG2, you'll like the new stuff as well. From what I've heard so far, it'll be very fitting and think you'll be pleased.

Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter:

Kevin Osburn, Line Producer:

On the status of the game patch: The Heart of Winter patch should hopefully be ready this week. QA is testing it right now, and we are very close to finishing it.

As soon as it is ready we will let you know.

J. E. Sawyer, Designer:

On Improved pathfinding: Danien Chee actually spent a long time trying to improve the pathfinding for HoW. When I played through the game, it seemed pretty good. However, I usually play parties of four characters.

Steve Bokkes, Designer:

On item suggestions and new monsters: Hello all. It's nice to see that you've all been busy little beavers this weekend. I just finished reading through all the new posts, and I must say that I'm impressed. I've got enough item suggestions to do an entire sequel (hmmm....). Seriously though, I do appreciate the input. Now it's time to get to work on getting it into the game. Thanks again to everyone who took the time to participate in the polls.

BTW: I just got the final word on our new monster for the Dungeon Pack. The latest addition to the Icewind Dale bestiary will be the _ _ _ _ _ . (you didn't really think I'd just give it away, did you?)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.