1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BioWare Unreal Engine Interview at HomeLAN Fed

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by chevalier, Sep 20, 2004.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    HomeLAN Fed has interviewed Ray Muzyka, BioWare's Joint CEO, on the recent acquisition of Unreal Engine licence from Epic. First of all, they discuss the reasons behind buying the license while BioWare itself has created efficient engines. Here's an excerpt:

HomeLAN - Why would BioWare wish to license an engine for a game when they have created their own powerful technology for their current and future titles?

Ray Muzyka - The Unreal Engine 3 technology is very impressive – we’ve carefully assessed all of the available graphics engines out there and this engine is the right one for the specific title that it’s being applied to. It’s important to note that we’re still developing our own engine technology for our other titles present and future (Jade Empire, Dragon Age, etc) – and we have some very impressive next-gen technology of our own in development right now as well – the BioWare Eclipse Engine. We have some very talented people working hard on that engine as well as advanced technology for our other announced titles – Jade Empire (a martial arts RPG for Xbox, to be published by Microsoft) and Dragon Age (a fantasy PC RPG – no publisher has yet been announced on Dragon Age). We have five internal product teams and we’re also working with a number of external developers who have licensed our own engine technology like the BioWare Aurora Engine or the BioWare Odyssey Engine for their own titles.

All of our games are quite different yet they’re very similar in many respects – there is a core RPG layer which permits strong storytelling, character interactions, exploration and character progression. We’re currently building an RPG layer for Unreal Engine 3 to ensure that this title will have all of the great features that BioWare games are known for: a compelling story, entertaining character interactions and exploration, and strong character development aspects, and Epic has actually expressed interest in talking with us about the licensure of that RPG layer, which we own. Licensing the Unreal Engine 3 really allows one of our internal development teams to focus on creating a highly cinematic and immersive RPG in a relatively short amount of time, while our other teams continue work in parallel on future projects and on the next-generation BioWare Eclipse Engine.

Sounds great, more BioWare games in a shorter time. If they keep that special touch of BioWare roleplaying games even on a First Person Shooter kind of engine, it's going to be great. That they intend to create a special RPG layer for it, is even better. Go, BioWare.

Read the whole thing at HomeLAN Fed.

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Everything we expect? By the way, if somebody worries about the potential of this engine, Epic has their own info page with some screenshots and a whole lot of technical stuff I don't understand anything of.

3. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    If someone can explain to me how "full motion capture for all animations, full VO for all dialog, realistic facial animations" are supposed to please core RPG fans, I'd be happy to know. And if the good/evil story progression involves ONE single choice you make just before the end of the game (*cough* KOTOR *cough*), then no, I for one will not be "pleased".

Oh, and noticed how the word "cinematic" keeps popping up? It disturbingly reminds me of some of the worst games I have played, some 8 years ago, when FMV was the Next Big Thing. And how about "next-generation"? I can't quite understand what this is supposed to mean.

Marketing is just nuts, methinks.

Mollusken, if it makes you feel better, I don't understand much of the engine's specs either. :D

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    And yet with all this progress, we keep seeing ever shallower and more dumbed down CRPGs... thanks, but no thanks for such "advancement of the genre". The only place I see it advancing is in the looks department, but I for one am not playing CRPGs to look at the pretty graphics.

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Nice graphics are a nice thing to have, if added bonus. Same for sound. Just let the game not feel like an FPS with a couple of columns of digits pertaining to the hero and it'll be fine.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.