1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bible verses regarded as hate literature

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Mathetais, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] Bible verses regarded as hate literature

This article blew my mind. Any comments?

2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Political correctness -- and an increasingly anti-Christian fervor -- backstops these sorts of things. I guarantee if the fellow had used Koranic verses, no one would have said a word, because that would impinge on his free speech. We now have a system that, instead of learning from past experiences that discrimination against minorities is wrong, has now decided to discriminate against majorities! Brilliant, just brilliant. Makes me wish I could buy my own Caribbean island and get away from it all.

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think this here is a matter of context rather than bible verses. Would you have reacted at the sentence if the same things had been written without the Bible references and perhaps using slightly different words? That add *is* a hate add no question about it. The only reason there is a ruckos for it being convicted is because it quoted the bible instead of mr. Bigot himself.
    I also do not think anyone would comment if someone had put in an add about the same topic and qouted the koran instead, as much if not more bigotry in that one than in the bible.
    I know I find that add offensive and if I had been gay I would have found it even more offensive. I would even had found it threathening considering that in one the bible verses that is being referred to it states that a man that has homosexual sex should be put to death.

[ February 20, 2003, 18:49: Message edited by: joacqin ]

4. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Mat,

The problem is not the bible quotes, but how they are being (ab)used.

But they're God's word I hear you say.

Well lets examine just a few of the other words from the old testament:

1. Slavery is fine [Leveticus 25:44], even selling your own daughter [Exodus 21:7]
    2. Working Sundays (or Fridays I suppose given the time this was written) is punishable by death [Exodus 35:2]
    3. You may not approach God's altar if you have poor eyesight! [Leveticus 21:20]
    4. It's a sin to have your sideburns trimmed and the sides tidied up. [Leveticus 19:27]
    5. You can clearly not play American Football without gloves [Leveticus 11:7-8]
    6. I also hope your congregation is small and out of stone if you should happen to swear [Leveticus 24:10]

This is NOT indended to be bashing the Christian faith, but the point is two fold:

The bible can surely be guidance in many respects for many people, and the 10 commandments give clearly good moral guidance for non Christians too. To say that we should live according to the all the old laws is, however, clearly neither practical nor relevant in todays society.

I do not see how the advert, using biblical quotes such as the ones shown, has anything to do with Christianity OR the bible, it has everything to do with "gay bashing".

[ February 20, 2003, 20:30: Message edited by: Viking ]

5. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Having now read the article and some related links, I still am not convinced. The ad simply stated his belief that homosexuality is wrong. Any idiot knows that a lot of the punishments the Bible mentions are out of date, but the idea that homosexuality is wrong is still held by the majority of Christian denominations. The author of the ad did not put a little picture of people killing gays, or surround them with crosshairs -- he just had a circle with a line through it. By the logic currently being applied, any sign that has a cigarette that is circled and barred incites people to kill smokers, which we all know is nonsense.

I don't think they should penalize this guy until they have a better causal or logical link between his ad and violence against homosexuals.

6. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yeah, the Judical Branch in the States has very little to do with "Justice".

It has to do with "interpretation". Which is simply "popularity".

Just like it is in the Muslim community, and every other religion. They all have different sects. Which varies from year to year; nation to nation.

Right now, it's popular to be Anti-Catholic. And I can't really say the Roman Catholic Church didn't have it comming for the past 60 or 70 years.

But it'll die back down. Hopefully, with some changes made. All these priests just need some sex kitten wives. Won't really change this generation of child molestors, but it might very well prevent the next generation of them.

7. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    i don't think the Bible itself is being considered as hate speech, just the context. Heck, if someone is really bound and determined to find discrimination everywhere they look, they could probably find my grocery list to be hate speech!

Last I heard, in the US there had to be physical damages before pain and suffering could be pursued - DMC, Sir Bel, is this still the case? Is this true in Canada as well? If so, there must have been evidence of a direct cause-and-effect. I'd like to know more about what damages were suffered. Math's article is silent on that point.

On the whole, the Bible has more good stuff than bad. For those who believe it's a great guidebook; for those who don't, it's still interesting literature. But who gets to draw the line in determining how much of the literal text an individual adheres to? I can understand the defendant's position that his faith required him to make the sinners aware of [his interpretation of] God's word, but when the audience wasn't receptive did he have the right to continue to pursue the matter directly?

8. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] I must have missed the turning of the century or something. Since when did it become a hate crime to claim that what someone is doing is wrong? Next thing you know, my supervisor won't be able to order me to follow proper safety procedures (preventing me from injury), as the criticism might make me feel defamed, ridiculed, and ashamed.

Rallymama: most Christians believe that anyone not in Christ is bound for hell. If you care anything for people then it'd be paramount for you to warn them, whether they appreciated it or not. It'd be similar to telling your friend to get off the railroad tracks because a train is coming. Would you just shrug your shoulders and walk away if your friend didn't really want to listen?

Viking: it's true many of the Judaic laws are outdated and not literally applicable today. However, I don't think you can quite equate homosexuality with trimming your sideburns. Notice that two of those verses are New Testament, and clearly state that homosexuality is wrong. And, to open a new can of worms, look at the results of homosexual activity. About 70% of all AIDS cases reported were exposed during homosexual intercourse. That AIDS is strongly associated with homosexuality is undeniable: a look at any gay support page will reveal links to safe sex and AIDS prevention. Just think how much disease reduction we could do simply by making people ashamed of homosexuality....

9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    @Rallymama - I will give you the California law on the issue of mental distress and physical harm. Given that California is probably the most liberal state with regard to plaintiffs' lawsuits, I will assume that other states may have more stringent restraints. In a run-of-the-mill negligence (or other non-intentional tort) case, a plaintiff can only recover emotional distress if there is first some physical harm. Thus, someone who is emotionally distressed, loses sleep because of it, and then has physical harm from the lost sleep will not qualify. However, if you're hit by a car and your pretty face is messed up causing you amazing emotional distress, then you can collect.

There are also such things as Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress, where, if someone does something way outside what a normal civilized society considers in the realm of decent, and that act causes emotional distress, you technically do not need physical harm or even necessarily need a physical manifestation of your distress. That being said, if you don't show a physical reaction (and have plenty of shrink bills), good luck recovering sizeable damages.

There is also a group of cases with presumed damages that arise from specific circumstances. The best way to explain it is to give examples: the mortuary screws up and put someone else's loved one in grandma's coffin just in time for the open-casket ceremony; or, you are standing there when, not five feet away, some remarkably negligent idiot runs over your wife/child. The negligence is just negligence, but the special circumstances allow mental distress damages where they otherwise might not be allowed.

Pain and suffering, by the way, is something entirely different. That arises as general damages from such things as medical malpractice, a car accident, etc., and arises specifically out of a physical injury. Obviously, you cannot have pain and suffering without the physical injury. That's why I went on about the mental distress above.

Edit - Back to the topic of the post, I see this as yet another extension of the ridiculous political correctness that is taking over my country and elsewhere. Give me a break already!

Did anyone act on the "message" and stone a gay person? You had better believe it would have mentioned it if that, or any other such reaction, occurred. That's like blaming Ozzy Osbourne or Marilyn Manson for Columbine. Get a grip people! We all have free will and can believe what we want -- unless it translates into harm (and I don't mean "boo-hoo my feelings are hurt" harm, I mean "damn that rock that hit my head did a number on me" harm) it just is way too ridiculous to be tolerated. Grow a thicker skin people. I'm Jewish (if anything) and I couldn't care less if some Christian told me I was going to hell because of it. That's his opinion and he's entitled to it. I had some fine religious debates with Southern Baptist zealots in college. Grow up!

[ February 21, 2003, 00:53: Message edited by: dmc ]

10. aegron Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

three words: Freedom Of Speech. Yes it might hurt, yes people may feel injured, but still it's his right to publish this add. Just as Neo-nazi's should have the right to publish their articles and muslim-extremists have the right to publish theirs.

This seems far-fetched, but if we can't read what people think, we don't know what they'll do next.

If this man felt that this was the "right" thing to do, we can disagree with him but we can't forbid him to do this. Tolerance doesn't mean adjusting to majority's believes, it means having the right to have your own opinion even if most people disagree!

(still I personally think there are better ways to trie to convince people of their wrongdoings :) )

11. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

It seems that the way things are going (in Canada, anyhow) that actual damages do not have to be inflicted and proved before someone is shut down. Going down the slippery slope to Doublethink and the elimination of individual opinions and thought . . .

12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Well if the Christians don't like gay people then they don't like gay people, deal with it, get over it. Its not hate speech, just a dislike of something. Is saying that you dislike the guy down the road hate speech? No. If these people don't like your bible they just don't have to read it or take any notice of it now, do they?

13. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    That's my question. One individual makes a choice to interpret the Bible in a particular way (or ignore it entirely), but is then involuntarily subjected to preaching from another individual whose interpretation of the same work requires him to save sinners from themselves. Where is the line between well-intentioned intervention and harrassment? Who gets to decide?

14. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Capstone, I'm not sure about your number that 70% of AIDS cases are a result of exposure during homosexual intercourse.

According to the CDC, approximately 50% of the 38.6 million people in the world with HIV are women. Now, my understanding of the complaint of HIV/homosexuality is that the primary complaint is there is increased risk involved with anal sex. Putting aside that a lot of straight people also engage in anal sex, it seems that the fact that 50% of HIV cases are women seems to indicate to me that it is unlikely that 70% of AIDS cases were a result of homosexuality. Now, I know your number was "reported" AIDS cases but given those numbers I can't help but wonder at the 70% number. Maybe you meant only in the US? If that's the case the CDC numbers for the US that I see seem to indicate that at most the number will be more like 410-420 k out of about 800k. total of about and that is if you assume all those who were homosexual and injected drugs were exposed from their homosexual activity and you discount their drug use. If you assume drug use was the vehicle of exposure that number drops another 50k. These were the Center for Disease Control numbers, maybe you can make some assumptions about all the unreported causes etc to boost that number but then you're making a fair number of assumptions and this completely discounts the international numbers:

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/stats.htm#international

Also, you wrote:

Well, we could say likewise, think about the amount of disease reduction we could achieve by making people ashamed of sex. Or ashamed of drug use. Or ashamed of blood transfusions. From the fact that something can have a negative consequence it doesn't follow that something is of itself wrong. Also, I take it there might be other ways of reducing the spread of HIV without painting a scarlet letter on people.

Edit -- oh, and as to the court's ruling, I find it awful from my point of view but don't have a clue when it comes to Canadian law.

[ February 21, 2003, 22:41: Message edited by: Laches ]

15. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

@Rallymama: I was a missionary for 2 years, but if someone said "No thanks, no interest" I said "Have a nice day!" and walked away. I never held anyone down and forced them to listen to what I had to say. I think common sense has to carry the day in these situations. An ad does not force anyone to read it or do anything. A person knocking once on your door is not harassment. I know people all have divergent opinions on this sort of thing, but as logical, rational people we can come to a general consensus on where the line between simple talking or preaching and harassment lies.

16. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Deparra.

That is intelligent of you. But I would also remind you that there are individuals out there who are not so intelligent.

MY boy, The Body Ventura, summed it up fairly direct.

"Organized religion is for the weak minded."

Now, although that's taken "out of context", it's so applicable to so many things, not just religion. But, in specific, religion.

Heaven's Gate. The Branch Davidians. Extreme Fundamentalist Muslims. Extreme Fundamentalist Roman Catholics. Homophobics.

There are many who have been brainwashed; quite literally. And it follows, generation to generation; each perpetuates the situation. For an elite few, those which evolution has gifted, manage to free themselves. They are the ones that ask "Why?". And they ask that question, in reference to the other 4.5billion people on the planet.

Many of the Jehova's Witnesses that come to my door are not of the elite few. And my job description does not specifically list "Let them get it all out of their system, before you close the door and climb up on the roof with the garden hose."

My point is, you obviously were not brain washed correctly.

17. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

EJ, for one thing, I'm not a JW. And I don't think that there is any need for anyone to listen to someone on their doorstep for any length of time -- one the other hand, a hose is probably a little extreme, but hey, it could be worse -- it could be a gun. ;)

Faith is not brainwashing, though. That's just a little too simple. I have faith in God, and I express that faith through the religion I believe he created. I am not some moron who was tricked by his parents, however. I am a fully functioning member of society. I hold a job, I contribute to the economy. The idea that I'm just some misguided moron is deeply offensive. And I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant, EJ, but I've come across people who honestly believe I'm some sort of programmed bunny. :mad:

[ February 21, 2003, 20:54: Message edited by: Depaara ]

18. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Perhaps not a programmed bunny but rather gullible and extraordinary optimistic is what I would say. I do have to admit that I cant understand any thinking human being can just accept any religion, and I am not talking about the concept of god but about taking everything that a lot of loonie bins said a couple of thousand years ago as the absolute truth. I am not a stranger to leap of faiths but that leap must be world breaking in its lenght.
    But this is highly off-topic and I apologize in advance.

19. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    joacqin, to accept religion you must be human..

20. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Joaquin, you are entitled to your opinion -- I'm sure people who know me in other contexts have equally poor opinions of me, but it seems to me to be an attitude of extreme hubris to believe that so many people around the world are so gullible and naive. I'd just like everyone to be able to say what they think (as you just did) and not be accused of damaging anyone (which is what happened to the advertiser whose adventure started this thread).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.