1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG2 Sound Quality

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Raiken, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Raiken Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi, I wondered if anyone else noticed the poor sound quality of some of the NPC dialogue in BG2?

By poor quality, I mean some of the recordings sound distorted, almost like they've got a bit reduction effect applied. It's very noticable in Ireniucus' dialogue at the start of the game for instance. I thought it was my install or sound card, but I've extracted the wav files and played them through my soundblaster card and my E-MU usb interface and the problem is still there.

The BG sound quality is great, and I can only think because BioWare squeezed more info into less space (4 cds for BG2 compared to 5 for BG1), that the compression has effected the sound quality. While I'm aware nothing can really be done, I just wondered if anyone else had noticed this?

Ta.

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Iirc having EAX enabled distorts the dialogue sometimes. Do you have that checked?

3. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Iirc it is enabled by default.

4. Raiken Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

As I stated in my original post I've extracted the wav files and played them outside of the game. I've also used an audio interface (the E-MU one I mentioned) that doesn't have any in-built effects or EAX. Either way, they aren't as 'clean' as NPC dialogue from BG1.

Now maybe EAX is making it worse, though I expect it's the reverb effect applied in certain areas that are causing the distortion and hiss to become more pronounced.

It isn't just Irenicus, as I've heard it on some of the PC voicesets. And really it isn't a major problem, it's just something I've noticed ever since I first played the game and I wondered if anyone else had noticed it too.

Thanks anyway. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.