1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG2 or D2?? which one..

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by itsy-bitzy, Oct 7, 2000.

1. itsy-bitzy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] well i wanna buy a new game and i was deciding between BG2 and D2.. i dont have all the money in the world sense im only 16 and am saving for a car. but anyways i wnated to know if anyone thinks that D2 is better.. i had IWD but when i got to the place with the mushroom ppl i was so fucking bored i just un-installed the game. is BG2 gunna be liek that where there r only like 15 lvls? cuz that makes the game so short. well thats all i was woundering thanks...

2. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Baldur's Gate 2 has depth, where Diablo 2 does not. Baldur's Gate 2 has quests, multiple ones that by far rank on top of Diablo 2's quests, which I have played both of. Icewind Dale by far took me past Diablo 2, which was a dull game of hack and slash and kill the final beast to get to the next level type of game. Yes, you can rank way past 90th level in Diablo 2, but doing it will amount to many days of doing the same 'ol over and over and over again.

Diablo 2 is story driven, but nothing like Baldur's Gate 2 which is epic driven.

Diablo 2 is one dimensional in terms of story, ideas and by far has already been done enough times that I can't believe people are still falling for it ;)

Baldur's Gate 2 and the D&D system does not advance as "quickly" as Diablo 2, but that's where Diablo 2 had to go because of its constant "repeat" game effects. I can only face the same looking creature with a different name so many times before I get sick of it.

I loved IWD, but BG2 is much better than IWD because it has much more depth. IWD was a fill in and a classic Dungeon Crawl adventure game. Diablo 2 for myself ranks beneath them all.

Baldur's Gate 2
    Icewind Dale
    Diablo 2

Syl...

3. As someone who has put some serious time into both games, I thought I'd add my bit:

BG2 is far deeper than D2. It will take you far longer to beat it, there's just so many places to go and things to do and stuff to kill. You'll be going back and beating it again, to see what you missed before. There's a lot of strategy involved in combat, blind rushes will have you seeing the death screen a LOT of times if you don't wise up and plan ahead. I love this game! :D

However, I still have a lot of fun playing Diablo 2. True, it's not as deep, but it doesn't pretend to be. It's an arcade style game, and the endless variations on the items and the possibilities in the skill trees don't exactly make Diablo 2 a "shallow" game. What really makes it shine though, is the multiplayer mode. Yes, you have your share of buzzards and backstabbers (like you do in any online game), but when you get a group of people together in a coordinated attack on one of the major bosses, there's nothing like it! Whatta ruuuushh! :D

So, what type of game are you looking for? They're very different games, try to pick the style you'd most enjoy playing. Quick paced moster rushes (I love letting my barb be surrounded by critters and then putting the double swing on), or slower paced, more strategic gaming. I love 'em both.
    Choose wisely... ;)

4. itsy-bitzy Gems: 1/31

what oneis better for playing multi player? thats what i mgetting it for. D2 or BG2??
    thanks for all the input, it was nic to here there was alot of places to go in BG2, but how many lvls r ther ein BG2?

5. Jadel Valerion Gems: 1/31

Bah... There's no women fighting over my character in Diablo II, so BGII all de way my friend... not to mention I'm losing faith in Activision all together... What sucks is that BG and it's sequel dont go on after the final battle like Fallout does... I hope someone makes a patch for that like they did with the first one...

Err... yes... levels... well the exp cap is 2950000 and the make level is 23 for theives and 14 for druids, varing for the other classes... BUT the power is much different in D&D, 20th level is the equivelent (?) of 100th level in Diablo few people ever get there in a short period of time... and if they do they are cheating (PC version) or they have a foolish GM (P&P versions)... But each class is power at the max... and if your play entirety (?) of the game you will easily get there... And you start at level y-10 according to your class... this is the sequal of a game with an exp cap of 89000... Big leap... I know... so the level you will go through if playing this game would be the equivelent of 35-100 levels in diablo two... But trust me... YOU WANT THIS GAME! And If you dont like it... then back away veerrry carefully... Toodles

[This message has been edited by Jadel Valerion (edited October 07, 2000).]

6. Themis Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I got D2 first as I was looking forward to it more. Big disapointment. Limited re-playability and I just got bored.

It does have better multi-player capability but BG2 is a much bigger game. Has more to it and I know that I am going to have to play it through 3-4 times to do all the things that I want to do.

I think that the XP caps should be blown away and 40th level characters allowed. They have all the spell levels in the game so they should let the levels go forever. Note: I am barely half way now but I know that I will hit the ceiling before I finish the game 3 times.

I am really into BG2 now. They added enough to keep me interested for a long time.
    D2 did not add enough to keep me interested.

Both are good systems with lots of potential.
    BG2 really needs to enhance the Multi-player aspect BIG TIME.

I would spend your money on BG2 unless you really want to play with your friends.

7. itsy-bitzy Gems: 1/31

so, basicly, BG2 is NOT a multiplayer game i take it?? as for D2 is all multi player almost? thanks for all ur input guys

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.