1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best weapons for a kensai/mage?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Canned Chaos, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Canned Chaos Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm planning on playing a late-dualled Kensai/mage.
    Seems like this could be fun to play; requires some tactics, real damage dealer, and when combined with some selected spells... (improved haste and stonekin spring to mind)
    The thing I can't decide on is what weapons to use.
    I'm torn between dual wielded katanas and a quarterstaff.
    On the one hand, dual katanas give the speed bonus, and Dak'kon's Zeth blade has the extra spells. Plus they are mighty cool...
    However, the Staff of the Magi is bloody overkill if you ask me. That thing sure is powerful :eek: . But then again, a Kensai wielding a friggin' stick... meh.
    Any other weapon suggestions are welcome...

2. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I liked my Kensai with a Halberd a lot. "Dragon's Breath", the one you find in the Underdark, is a pretty good one, +4 and various elemental damages, then a Ravager halberd.

In the very beginning of the game there's a +3 halberd that gives +1 strength, it could be bought at Ribald's mart. You could use Staff of the Magi as a special cases weapon, becoming invisible at will, as well

Also, Foebane (Bastard sword from Watcher's Keep) + Kundane or Belm works really well. It'll compensate for your otherwise low HP.

One of the last times I soloed with Kensai\Mage I used Foebane+Axe of the Unyielding +Ring of Gaxx - fantastic HP recovery. ;)

3. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Neither Foebane, Axe of the Unyielding nor the Ravager can be found in SoA.

Dual wielding katanas sounds like a pretty good idea: Dak'kon's Zerth Blade for AC and extra spells and Celestial Fury for pure tanking power. Staff of the Magi also sounds like a good idea - wielding a staff doesn't violate the kensai's description from a roleplaying point of view (IMO).

Belm or Kundane are also great off-hand weapons (+1 attack/round). There are also a lot of long swords out there: Namarra +2 and Adjatha the Drinker sounds like a pretty cool combo for early/midgame (but maybe not the most powerful). It seems like the kensai/mage can take down just about anything no matter what weapon he has - so I guess it boils down to how powerful you want him to be...

4. Canned Chaos Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well, I will probably be playing ToB as well, so thanks for the advice, Kulyok. I will probably stick to katanas, maybe throw in a point in staffs or two, just to have Staff of the Magi as a backup (Knagaxx...). Cuz the only thing cooler than two katanas is three katanas :D

@ Victor Eremita
    I would say that having a staff is not that "Kensai-like". I'm no master of Forgotten Realms lore, but the game describes them as "sword-saints" and I think it also mentions "being one with the sword" or something like that. While I could see a staff-wielding kensai, a bladed weapon just seems so much more fitting...

You say the Belm and Kundane add 1 attack to your speed. Is that with the main or the off-hand weapon? If it's the main, then it seems like one of these, with the Celestial Fury + Improved Haste would make quite a combo (how many attacks per turn would that be?).

Slightly off-topic, but another dillemma I'm having is when to dual. Since I will be playing through ToB as well, I'm considering dualling at level 12, 15 or even 18.
    The thing is, even though dualling at higer levels gives the extra THAC0 bonus (the main perk of a kensai), I then wouldn't regain fighter abilities until pretty much the end of ToB.

5. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

What about a multiclass using shadowkeeper to make the 'plain fighter' part as a Kensi? I have not tried this myself, but I believe that it can be done.

6. Leslie Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

If you intend to solo then late dual is no problem as far as XP is in question. The problem is only that you will play 40% of the game as kensai, 40% as mage and 20% as Kensai/Mage.

I usually dual at 9 even when playing TOB, or solo or in a party. That way I quickly start playing as Kensai/Mage almost from the first big quest on.

He also has no problems in TOB about his THAC0. If it gets really nasty cast Time Stop and whack for 3 rounds - autohit!

I use twohanded swords (*****) and quarterstaves (**) and put ** in twohanded weapon style for more critical hits.

Lilarcor is +3, has good immunities and can be found very early in the game. Later you can use Silver Sword, Soul Reaver (if not good) and Staff of The Magi for protection and dispeling.

7. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

@ Canned Chaos:
    I'll rephrase it then... IMHO it doesn't violate the kit description to use staffs as a kensai :D

AFAIK, the extra attack applies to the main hand. Check out this thread.

It think it would be: base attack/round x 2 + 1 (e.g. 7/2 x 2 + 1 = 8).

I could be wrong though...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.