1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best fighter race/ kit/ class combinations ...

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Ragusa, Apr 1, 2001.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    In my endless struggle to fiully explore the secrets of BG-2 I now reached the point where I think about the perfect fighter race/ kit/ class combination .........

For I´m too lazy to think myself I depend on your opinions :D

2. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Oh Ragusa, what have you done. You realise that this type of question is likely to result in bloodshed as we start another 'my barbarian could whip your kensai mage' logical and rationale discussion.

So, my recomendation, become a Druid learn lots of heal and charm spells then spend your time being nice to characters, monsters, animals and trees alike.

3. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] harhar i felt it was time for another cruel and dirty flamewar, harharhar :D

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited April 01, 2001).]

4. Seric Exz Guest

...or you could become a care-free bard, soothing everyone's ears with music and tall tales as you run through the forests of Faerun, thus calming everyone down, and creating peace and harmony everywhere you go... (And possibly giving the aforementioned druid a morale boost as he/she runs around trying to heal everyone)

5. Punkindrublic Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

i got a feeling we got a kensai mage war starting again. personally i think its more fun to play on the class thats more interesting rather then powerful. for example its fun to play as a mage and sorcerer and u get those little familiars to annoy for a while. and theres the monk which is interesting class so isay be then all just don't start with the kensai mage stuff

6. Silroth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Who says, mages aren't powerful?!?!?!? :mad:

7. shadowboxer Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] (in stupid half-Orc voice)

Duh, My Barburian is da best of 'em all!
    I'll kick all yer little butts out the door!

(in a real voice)

IMHO, there is no best class for a fighter.
    all of them have there oown strenght and weaknesses. Except for wizard slayers, they just suck.
    And I don't wanna hear some Barbarian come on here and say they are the best, they have there own weaknesses, they can't heal like a paladin, they can't specialize in a weapon like a fighter or do that Kensai thing either. Every other calss has there own disadvantages too.

Well thats my ramble for now, hope that did something other than get you messed up.

8. Ragusa

Media:
    Two things come to my mind:

I think the best races for a wiwzard slayer are halfling or elf. Their high dex give them extra attacks with ranged waepons and since every attack cumulatively reduces the chance of an enemy mage to fail to weave his spell by 20% this would be the most effective suppression of enemy magich char. Using the crossbow of speed or this shortbow they´d be very effective.

Dvarves and halflings have better rescue throws than either human, elves and half-orcs so they are more resistant to die accidentally or beeing charmed. So they give better and more secure chars for your party if created well.

9. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Wizard slayer's really pathetic though.
    The paladin class makes for a powerful and flexible fighter. Be it the pure paladin, cavalier, inquisitor or undead slayer, their strengths more than make up for their drawbacks. Plus, they get to use carsomyr, one of the most powerful weapons in the game.
    The barbarian, i've recently noticed, is also extremly powerful and mobile with the increased walking speed. At high levels, with damage resistance and Rage, the barbarian can go screaming into battle, crushing everyone.
    For the fighter class, the pure fighter and the berserker are good for non-dual characters. The Kensai's high AC makes him a secondary fighter at best.
    Among the ranger kits, only the archer seems worth your while. A multiclass ranger cleric is a very flexible character though.

10. Ragusa

Media:
    A Paladin too has the advantage of improved rescue throws that make him more robust than regular fighters. That´s the reason why I created my halfling pally (inspired by Mazzy - every lawful halflings dream of a girl). I agree that I for example an Inquisitor is a deal better than the wiz slayer.

And you´re right Shura, barbarians are really impressive - improved speed and of course their rage (IIRC temporarily +4 on str/ con) ability make them an awesome fighter. But I think people are blinded by the half-orcs stats for that class (max str-19/ dex-18/ con-19).
    I´d consider a dwarf better suited for this class for his stats are almost as good (max: str-19/99 / dex-17/ con-19). You can overcome the missing AC bonus with a shield easily. The better saving throws are well worth that and make the dwarf the more attractive barbarian in my eyes.

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited April 02, 2001).]

11. Deano99 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

i won't start the Kensai/Mage War again!

i think ANY class can be made into a good Character. But plain Fighters will always conme out on top.

But i am also impressed by the qualities of Fighter/Clerics.

12. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] Let´s focus on pure fighter class only - so we can avoid to resurrect the old powergaming and kensai-mage wars :D

13. cathon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well if you are talking about a front line fighter, I think you want to maximize hit points, armor class, and saves. You want a class that can use good armor. I'm going to go with a dwarven berserker with max con and dex. Then give him a girdle of giant strength. He may not kill as fast as a kensai, but he'll hold the line.

14. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I'm only echo-ing some of the comments posted already but I'll express them again.

My most powerful fighter for BGII Shadows of Amn actually turned out to be my dual classed Fighter/Cleric. Only due to the fact that in THIS game you find that 35% to perhaps 45% of the opponents you meet in the game are undead (perhaps more?). From Mummies, Zombies, Skeletons, Ghouls, etc. and oh yeah -the entire class of 2000 school of Vampires. The Fighter/Cleric can maximize AC due to no Armor restrictions and can GM with many weapons. Even the best one, you know that +5 Relic/War Hammer/Golem Killer in the game. Besides just a side note, crushing weapons deal more damage to opponents due to very few things resist that damage type. No wonder Ogres and Giants always weild them.

Back to the true fighter - My options are either the PURE Fighter or the Beserker. The Barbarian although awesome has weapons specialization and armour restrictions. The Beserker actually tops the Fighter only if you use his Rage ability. Otherwise it's the PURE Fighter that is my choice between the two. My game style focuses on what gives the ULTIMATE offensive capability without sacrificing the ULTIMATE defensive capability. Which only the true Fighter and Beserker have. The Beserker has a meager restriction for using ranged weapons but one can live with that if the role of the Beserker is for hand to hand Melee fighting only.

[This message has been edited by Draco Vlasavius (edited April 03, 2001).]

15. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] The most awesome combination is the kensai/mage combo.

16. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The fighter/thief combination has some sense, too. Having the shadow dragon scale as armor, and the celestial fury (katana +3)
    and single weapon style ** (2 slots) you can be a backstabbing machine. I think you can backstab with a katana(Yoshimo could). The maximum damage I was able to inflict was 148!!! (critical hit; str: 18/00; backstab)I have killed the shadow dragon in the Umar Hills with my Fighter/Thief.

17. Mage_0 Gems: 5/31

Fighters are pathetic , everybody wants to have the best AC , HP and weapons. Bah to you all.

So what come against my Mage - dual weilding wand of lighting and wand of fireball.

All that metal conducts electricity wonderfully and anybody for roast meat in a tin.

Plus a few Magic Missles , reduces them to the tin cans that the really are.

So dont forget to polish all that armor tonight boys before you rest, it rusts.

[This message has been edited by Mage_0 (edited April 03, 2001).]

18. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

But my Barbarian has the cloak of mirroring, so your magic missile wont help. You can't dualwield as a mage and certainly not those staffs...
    With my high hitpoints your staffs can hit me an awful lot of times before I die and with my very good savingthrows, none of your spells that alow a savingthrow will work on me (Not even the -4 savingthrow spells like confusion and stuff).
    So before you know it I'm standing in front of you, crushing your hand like a cigarette and you are begging me for forgiveness... ;)
    WE RULE!!!!!

19. Mage_0 Gems: 5/31

Some people take this game far to seriously.

Da Punisher as you try and lay you barbaric paw on my mage , he transforms into a brain sucking lich.

Oh dear what a waste of time , no brain there and casts imprisonment on you. Oxygen thief deserves to spend the rest of it life in a hole.

20. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

And I use Wand of Wanders - everyone gets petrified and noone cares what my class is.
    Clear?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.