1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

best class/race

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Steeze, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Steeze Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

hey all. just wondering what everythinks is the strongest class(or favourite) and what race either suits it the best or perhaps makes it even stronger.

2. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

At this moment I am very fond of an elven assassin. I like the 19 in dex (for armour class, bow skills and thieving skills). The elf also has added bonus to long swords and long bows which I do not use. Perhaps a halfling would have been better but this is my choice.

3. Steeze Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

yeh, my wou ld hav to be an elven stalker

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I'd have a hard time selecting a favorite class, although I do agree that some races just fit with certain classes. Through my experience, the only classes that really don't do anything for me are single classed clerics and single classed druids. Possibly because there are so many NPC clerics/druids to pick from, that making your own seems rather senseless to me.

Anyway, I'll list my favorite kit by class along with a race. Like I said I don't have a single favorite class.

If I'm going with a fighter, it's usually a beserker, and it's always a dwarf.

Paladin - only can be human, but I like the Undead Hunter.

Ranger - I prefer the stalkers - human, elf, or half-elf.

Barbarian - half-orc

Mage or Sorcerer - always human, and I'm not sure why.

Cleric/Druid - I don't think I've ever made one.

Thief - Swashbuckler - halfling
    Unless it's an Assassin, in which case it's a half-orc.

Now, I also like multi-classes (actually I usually will pick a multi-class)

If I'm going to multi anything with a mage, I'll usually go for a gnome and pick an illusionist. My favorite from this group is probably the cleric/illusionist, as you can place both cleric and mage spells in some contingencies and sequencers.

I also like fighter-thieves, and that's always with a half-orc.

Fighter-clerics aren't bad either, and I usually go for a dwarf.

5. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

I have never used a half-ore or halfling. Somehow they do not sound appealing.

I also make my mages human.

My favourit class is Druid (plain). My name Cesard is named after a famous Druid from Ireland.

6. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

@Cesard - I suppose it has a lot to do with the class. IMHO Halflings make the best thieves (thieving bonuses, 19 dex) and Half Orcs make great fighters (Str and Con bonuses) - Obviously neither would make the best mage, but they are certainly appealing races!

7. Bran Dawri Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Dwarf barbarian (loads and loads of hit points), dwarf cleric or cleric/fighter are also very nasty characters.

8. Drumheller Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

My favorites for SoA only . . .

Half-elf Blade
    Elven Sorcerer
    Human Inquisitor
    Human Kensai

9. Soulbringer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The easyest thing to complete the game with is the Human Paladin Undead Hunter, simply because of the immunity to hold and level draining abilities (though it is boring to play a paladin).

My favorite class and race combination would proberbly be the elven fighter/mage/theif.

10. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Yeah, although not every paladin has to be a hopeless do-gooder... Everyone needs a little temptation, at least to be able to overcome it :)

11. angryguy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I never found playing a paladin really dull. Sure, you are lawful good, but so are a lot of interesting characters around the place, imho. Anyone who knows who Commander Vimes is will agree with me.

12. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

My PCs always used to be Human since I really like to have fighter kits from which Id dualclass. However, since I've found that you can assign kits using SK there has been a little more variety.

Human Undead Hunter (This class is pure evil :banana: )

Human Fighter/Necromancer (which means that Jan is in my party.)

Elf Kensai/Thief (better THACO and pickpocketing)

HalfOrc Wizard Slayer/Cleric (hate not being able to use potions, need healing)

HalfElf Stalker/Cleric (wear plate and use Sanctuary when you want to backstab with that staff.)
    If only I could make him HalfOrc.

13. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Well, I have a LONG list of favourites, so I will try and give the best out of all those games I've had.

* Elven Sorcerer
    * Gnomish Illusionist/Mage
    * Half-elf Blade
    * Half-elf Ranger/Cleric multiclass
    * Halfling Fighter/Thief
    * Halfling Assassin

There's heaps more, but those are my favourite, uberest characters. :D

14. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Best class/race for me is the Half-Elf Blade, naturally. Preferably with Nahal's Reckless Dweomer SK'ed in.
    Favorite kit and class? For the record, it is (and has always been) the Human Totemic Druid.

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Elven Kensai, I've got a Bladesinger fixation :D

16. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Jesu Cristo!!

You searched for keywords: 'Best Class'  |  210 matches found  |  Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 11
    And this search was not including the ToB forum.

This is a really old topic, can we be a little less repedetive please? :rolleyes:

17. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Why does it matter if a topic gets repeated it's bound to happen?

I enjoy useing:
    Elven Kensai (Dex 19 helps the AC)
    Half Elven Avenger

Those two have been the best for me so far.

18. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    The best char I played was, like Benan, an Elven Kensai. It isn't my favorit race/class combo though.

19. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

IRT Benan:

A 19 DEX is just as good as an 18 DEX, AC wise. Although it is better for missile weapons, initiative, and could make a difference if you have the Draw Upon Holy Might ability. What makes Elven Kensai better IMHO is their +1 to hit with long swords.

I like Dwarves the best. If the class you choose can be a Dwarf, go for it. They get HUGE saving throw bonuses (dependent on their CON) vs. spells and poison. VERY useful.

Also, I want to try playing one through BGI so that I can get a 20 CON. Regeneration rocks.

20. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Hmm, it changes regularly (which is why a new incarnation of this thread is always welcome, as far as I'm concerned). My favourites are:

- Berserker 9/Druid 14: To be honest, if you're not going onto TOB (and even if you are) and you want to play a druid, you might as well dual class from a fighter. 9 Berserker levels adds a welcome boost to close combat power, rage ability and the only disadvantages are slightly later acquisition of spells (which are normally quick anyway) and only one star in missile weapons, which is the same as a pure druid anyway. Even then you can put at least 2 in dagger and use one of the nifty throwing knives if you want. My Berserker/Druid is shaping up very nicely :D

- Elven Fighter/Mage: Gets a nice bonus to long swords and bows, if you want to use them. I dont tend to use gnomish illusionists because I dont like to forgo necromancy. The F/M's spells are plenty enough for me.

- Half-Elven Cleric/Mage: See above, but not close combat orientated. Ultimate multitaskers / Support spellcasters with propensity for spell sequencer fun.

- Blade (Race doesnt really matter): Lots of fun things you can do with these. High caster level opens up lots of possibilities.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.