1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Belief

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Rotku, May 13, 2003.

1. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

This is something i have always found fasinating. Peoples beliefs (spelling?). So i was just wondering if you could possibly say some things you strongly belive in and why you belive in this. When i say belives i mean like religons or other strong beliefs (eg. all people should be equal or something like this). And why you belive in this. Is it because your parents believed in this and you learnt to believe in it from them. Or is it because some of your close friends believe in this thing? Or is your beliefs completely formed by your self from past experiances? or something i haven't said yet.

It would be a great help if some people (as many as possible) could answer the question above.
    And i don't mean to ask to personal questions so if this is to personal to share your very strange (meaning no offence of course) and don't write anything down. (And sorry about the spelling I've never been to good at it. I did have a dictonary with me when writing this but i don't think i picked up on every thing

2. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I do believe to a greater being that lives in all things and is composed from all things. I personally have found my answers to this in Cristianism (i'm an orthodox) and although i don't go to the church i do think myshelf as a cristian since Jesus Crist said that our body's are the temples and there is nos specific place one can worship god.
    Other than that i believe that you must not do to others what you don't want others do to you. I respect the life, and the choices of everyone as long as they don't bring me trouble. I do believe that justice is a concept that must be respected and love is something that we must have and give without regrets even if it mean that we will end up with the short end of the stick (which have happened too many times for me)
    Also i do believe from personal experience that i can never understand or even communicate with women because i'm too shy or they are too streange in their demands ( i believe it's the second) but not hurt feelings i took my decision for that matter.
    That's all for the time :cool:

3. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I do believe that there is some good in everyone, and that mercy is the most redeeming human trait.

4. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I do believe in what I do want to believe, religion? my parents made me christian but I do not believe in Vaticano (spelling?)because I don't think they are doing their job as the real apostols did...
    You know? I have lost the most important love that ever had, but I'm still believe in love...
    I don't know but I think it's only a matter of convictions... sorry, my english doesn't allow me to explain much better than this...

5. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I believe in myself.

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Here are a few of my stongest beliefs, in no particular order.

I believe that anything the mind of man (or woman) can concieve of and believe in, it can achieve. (optimism)

I believe that our purpose here on earth is to do good; To love and help others, even though it's often a daunting task. (empathy)

I believe that every religion on earth is the "true" faith for those believe in their heart that it is. No religion on earth thinks it's wrong. So for me, it doesn't matter what faith you have, but that you HAVE faith is what's important. (tolerance)

I believe in the power of a new and good idea, and the endless potential of those who believe in it. (innovation)

I believe that animals and children are better than us. They know nothing of greed, pettiness, lies or corruption. We could learn from them. (innocence)

I believe that a lack of all of the above (optimism, empathy, tolerance, innovation and innocence) are the source of the world's problems. But I also believe that their presence, even in small doses, have the power to solve the world's problems.

7. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Sir Belisarius, don't you think that's selfish?

I do believe in what Mithrantir believes though I don't believe in any god.(the reason below)

That's because animals have "instinct" while we, humans, have logic and we use this logic in a very bad way(at least most of us). And small children are pure and have not seen the whole world.

Why having faith is so important?
    I do not believe in any god because every religon says that only it's god(s) exist(s). Christians believe that the only god is God, muslims believe that the only god is Allah(sp?) so how can I know who is the real god, if he exists? And, say, the Christian God exists, why does he allow all this evil on earth corrupting humanity? That's one reason why I'm fed up with religion. I cannot express the other reason due to the lack of knowledge over English.

I believe in goodness and justice. Just be a good and law-abiding person who respect others and others' opinions and I don't care about anything else.

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I believe in disbelief and critical thinking. Rationality is the best trait a person can really have.

I aslo believe strongly in love and that love can literally move mountains.

9. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I too believe in myself, and that being selfish?

Give me an action that is not selfish...

10. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I believe in God. I believe he loves everyone, whether or not they're Christian. I believe that he's organized and has a plan for us, and that plan involves Jesus Christ, but see the first part of my post.

I believe that we all make mistakes. I believe in both forgiveness for those mistakes and taking responsibility for the consequences those mistakes entail. I believe in free will, which means that we can control ourselves and our actions -- we are not helpless.

I believe that people should treat each other the way they would like to be treated. I believe we sould respect those in authority until they prove themselves unworthy of that respect. That's all for now, anyhow.

11. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Alexander the Great

You completely missed the point of my post.

Respecting the beliefs of others and realizing that if you follow your heart, with respect to religion, you can't go wrong was the point I was making. In your case it's not to believe in God, which is fine if that's where your heart leads you. Instead, you choose to believe in yourself. My point was that as long as you just believe in something, you can't go wrong.

Thank you, Captain Obvious. :rolleyes:

You said above that you believe one should "respect others and others' opinions and I don't care about anything else." If that were true, you wouldn't have asked Sir Bel to explain his belief and you wouldn't have ripped apart mine. You showed little regard for our beliefs and preceded to contradict yourself by arguing with our "beliefs." That, my friend, is selfish.

12. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't fear death. My real life will start when I die.

I don't fear this current life. God would never give us a burden we can't carry.

I don't have to do anything for God. I can enter heaven with empty hands, when I just say: Thank You!

People have a mission. Whether they are aware of it or not, they won't fail.

My highest virtues are love and wisdom, so I lack both. I respect those who respect me and often those who don't.

'To disagree' is NOT 'to disrespect'

13. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I don't believe in a god or a higher being. Never understood why people feel the need to do that either.

14. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Well myself, I believe in two things mainly
    I believe that every one should believe in something, weather it be them self or a god or something else. Have in belief is very very important.
    The second thing i believe in the humans. The human mind the most powerful thing in the known universe, it can acheive marvolus (spelling?) things when used right or it could destroy millions of people. It can creat and destroy gods and other higher beings at will. It can do anything if it is used right.

The 2nd thing is really the reason i started this topic, to get a better idea of the human mind so thanks to every one whos posted and please anyone else who reads this post away.

And to any one who thinks believing in your self is selfish i would just like to say "look at your self, i'm sure you believe in your self; and if not your life has no or very little purpose".

15. Volsung Gems: 14/31

@Death Rabbit : Master of Nuhn said that 'To disagree' is NOT 'to disrespect'. I respect Sir Belisarius' opinion but I disagree(partly--->see below). The ultimate paragraph of my last post is not addressed to you, it's what I believe.

@Ruler of the Known Universe & Death Rabbit:
    "Believing in yourself" from "believeng in yourself" is different: You may believe that you can acheive anything if do your best and really want to do it, or know the strengths and weaknesses of yourself. That's the good side of "believeng in yourself". The bad side is when you believe that you are better than the others, when you are arrogant etc.
    I assume Sir Belisarius meant the good side of "believing in yourself", right? If he did so then I was joking, but if he meant the bad side then it's indeed selfish.

I also believe that the terms "right" and wrong" do not exist in relation to our enviroment. For example(I use the D&D alignments): according to someone chaotic abiding by the laws is wrong - according to someone lawful breaking the rules is wrong, according to someone evil goodness is wrong - according to someone good wickedness is wrong.So "right" and "wrong" are indefinable terms.

[ May 15, 2003, 12:00: Message edited by: Alexander the Great ]

16. Rotku

@Alex
    There is nothing wrong with believing in any of the two. Neither are bad but the second one as u said is arogant and they need to open their bloody eyes and take a look around them.

17. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I believe that love and understanding are fundamental truhts in our life.
    I do believe in the instict and the funny little voice inside everyone of us that pops up sometimes and tell us what to do.
    I also want to clarify that the justice i believe is not necessarily the law.
    And i do believe in the powers the mind has although they still remain unknown to us. And of course i do believe that we are not alone in this universe. :cool:

18. Volsung Gems: 14/31

Not being alone in the universe is almost a fact. There are billions of billions of planets. One of them must have life.

And I said above "be a law-abiding person". It depends on the laws. If the the laws are just then ok.

19. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    All religion boils down to is the fact that people are afraid of what will happen when they die.

20. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Actually, I've seen some pretty complex explanations by various scientists that the odds of life elsewhere are astronomically small, the odds of our contacting it even smaller, and the odds we'd recognize it smaller still.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.