1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Battle at tree of life, first time playing

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Arngor, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Arngor Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

They didn't overexaggerate when they said Jon was powerfull. Bloody impossible to even get him down to
    barely wounded.the instant the fight starts, he somehow casts prot. from magic weapons, absolute immunity, invisibility, sanctuary, stoneskin, firesheild read and blue and timestop. Goddam impossible. I did manage to kill him, once, when his spell protections ran out but then my entire party save for the protaganist was dead, so all my items dissapeared when I was spirited away from the scene.
    After two hours of getting killed, I'm pretty angry at lil' Jonny. How are you supposed to kill him with all those protections on? Remove magic and the such has no effect it seems so I'm pretty clueless.

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The easiest way to do it is to start the fight by running away a distance and waiting for some of his protections (and timestop) to wear off. Beyond that your tactics would depend on the composition of your party.

3. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

Use a protection from magic scroll on him (although his contingency spells ignore the protection effect, so either carry more than one, or just hack away at him, as he can't cast things at you).

4. Arngor Gems: 2/31

Protection from magic? Won't that make me unnable to harm him in any way as more than half my party are spellcasters?

5. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Shape shift into a iron golem = dead Jon :) Let the rest of the party run or bring down some buffs.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I would go with lots and lots of snares. They'll bust through all his defences and you can lay them out before you approach him. Then run away until some of his defences expire. Throw in a few summons to keep him busy as well.

7. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Doesn't Breach, Warding Whip, Ruby Ray of Reversal, and Peirce Magic work on him!?
    :confused:

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I think you can role-play the traps, as you see him there, but he's clearly so focused on whatever he's doing that he ignores you. If you don't have a thief with suitable trap-laying ability, then strategy two would be to plant a couple of low level summons near where he pops out to give him something to bash on while your party high-tails it out of there. By this point, you're fairly knowledgable about his powers and spells in general, so you know that waiting a decent bit will allow for some of his protections to fade. Continually send fodder his way to have him waste his spells (wand of monster summoning is fun) and, after a decent wait, send in some high level summons and follow to beat on him. Always works like a charm, fits within role-playing ideals and allows you to have a cup of coffee while you wait.

9. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Jon throws a highly illegal spell trigger instantly which throws up Stoneskin, Absolute Immunity, Fireshield, Spell Trap and Spell Shield, followed by Mislead and something else, generally followed by Time Stop. You need a +5 weapon to hit (either Crom Faeyr or Carsomyr) and the first anti-spell attack you launch will fail. You have one round before he double-Time Stops and starts with the nastiness. Since it's a bitch to get through that in one round, the easiest thing to do is run like hell. The Cloak of Mirroring will work like a charm against Jonny boy in SoA.

If you can't use dmc's advice but you've got a bunch of spellcasters, I'd suggest that you do the following: cast True Seeing for a couple of people so that the Mislead won't save him for long, and have a couple of spell triggers ready with Secret Word and Breach ready. Make sure it's MULTIPLE spell triggers - and wait until his invisibility has been disrupted before firing the triggers. Also, for any weak spellcasters, cast Spell Immunity: Conjuration before you slay the last parasite, since Jon loves Power Word Kill.

Once his defences drop, Jon is easy prey for a melee character. Just make sure to keep Breaching him as soon as he throws up Protection From Magic Weapons or Stoneskins, since that will give him enough respite from your attacks to obliterate you. I prefer to beat the snot out of enemies up-close-and-personal, but you have to know when to cut and run, and against Jon is often one of those time.

10. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Unequip Carsomyr, equip a non-magical two handed sword. ;)

11. noldor372 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Go to the Adventurer's Mart in Waukeen's Promenade. Buy as many Time Stop and Spellstrike scrolls as you can. These are available as Ribald's "special wares." When he's sold out, end the dialogue and start a new one. Buy some more. He never seems to run out.

When you go back to fight Jon the cheater, have 5 party members close for melee and your wizard should cast Time Stop, Spell strike, Spell strike, Time Stop, Spellstrike, Spellstrike. Unless my computer has a bug, it's perfectly legal. I took Jon down like a ***** with only one reload. :lol: :banana:

12. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

True Sight+Resist Fear before battle,
    Breach+Breach + hack him to death during the second battle.
    The easiest way.

13. Arngor Gems: 2/31

Shapeshift into an iron golem? Huh? Is that even possbile? The only thing I can shapeshift into is a troll, a smelly goo of jelly and a rat. I have neither peirce magic or ruby ray of reversal but when I try the warding whip and breach Immy, Aeire and Nalia start casting but halfway throghu they all die stimultaniusly for some unknown reason. The text in the message window scrolls by too fast for me to read.
    DMC, I don't have a clue about his spells, or any spellseffects for that matter. I've tried summons but I tend to end up dead way before they even appear
    Spell trigger? Out of the question. Can't rest anywhere and don't have them memorized.
    A +5 weapon to hit? Well that would explain alot. The best weapon I have is Daystar (+4?) and a +4 twohanded sword I got off Ribald.
    Would the fact that the average level of my pary being level 12-14 (Kurt is level 19 for some weird reason) have any significant effect?

I honestly didn't think playing the game on easy would be so hard.

14. Warrior of the World

The +5 requirement for magic weapons only comes into effect when he is under the Protection from Magic Weapons spell, which makes him immune to all weapons from +1 to +4, but not non-magical weapons or +5 or greater. Who do you have in your party?

15. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Hmm, high powerfull weapons, like Crom Faeyr, The Wave and the Equalizer do some damage to him, but you should just move away from him, and rest if you can, that should take care of his protections.

16. Arngor Gems: 2/31

My party consists is Kurt (Human bezerker), Minsc, Jaheira, Imoen, Nalia and Aeire.

The Equalizer works? Gotta try that one. And Crom Faeyr and The Wave I have only parts of. I believe they've been eaten by nishruus or something.

17. Warrior of the World

Well, as I suggested earlier, use a Protection from Magic scroll on him, and set Minsc, your Bereserker and Jaheira on him, and maybe even the others too, in hand-to-hand, as the poor old mage will be unable to hurt any of you in return. It might take longer, but it is safer.

18. Arngor Gems: 2/31

Protection from magic scroll? Where can I get one of those? I do not recall having one in my inventory...

19. Warrior of the World

Ah, well if you don't have any by now, its probably too late, unless you saved before entering the tree-city. You can get some from the Adventurer's Mart, the woman in the top left corner sells some, and I think that some of the merchants in Waukeen's Promenade might have some.

20. Arngor Gems: 2/31

Fortunatly, I do belive I have a save before entering the tree. A hellufalot of backtracking to do though. Protection from magic sheilds against *all* kinds of magic I take it? Even buffing and protecting ones? Why haven't I thought of that one before?

Personally I like my games to be challenging. I play most on medium or hard but BGII seems a little unbalanced between the types of enemies. Meh. I'll try it tonight and see if it works.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.