1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Basic tools.

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Gothmog, May 6, 2003.

1. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] As i dont know anyone who plays this around here i though i could start playing myself.
    I already know a bounch of things and i'm interested which is mostly important.

Yeah, i'm a pioneer :grin:
    I'll create a whole bunch of loonies staring at their character sheets and thinking hard how to create even more powerful character :p

And if i dont know something i'll just post it here.

So as a begginer i suppose i have to get some books. I saw a nice advertisment by some guy who says he would sell me a: "DnD Rulebox"
    It includes:
    -Player's handbook
    -Dungeon Master's Guide
    -Monster Manual
    -Starter set

All of these 3ed.

What i'm asking is whether i need anything else to learn to play by myself and teach others once i know it?
    And then start some really basic campaigns.

2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I'm hoping you're getting 3.5E; that's coming out in a month or two, which pretty much is a whole bunch of revisions over 3E. Of course, they'll cost more. You can buy them from SP.

I'm going to suggest a few sites to help you with. They're not essential, but I think that they might help you a bit.

3rdedition.org - They have a very good mesage boards (although nowhere near as organized as SP, IMHO). Good advice is given. Seek darken and Power Munchkin for advice, I suggest.

seankreynolds.com - Mr. Reynolds used to work for Wizards, and he helped write the PHB. Check out Rants and Blades of Faerun - two quite helpful sections. Also has a message board, but nowhere as big as 3rdedition.org or SP.

wizards.com - free adventures, they have. Check archives -> cliffhangers for even more. Since this is the official website, of course, of D&D, and quite useful.

opengamingfoundation.org - officially, these rulings overrule those in the PHB (they include errata, and have bare bones information - good if you happen to have misplaced a necessary book)

3. Gothmog

@Oaz Weren't you C'Jakob before???

And whats the big difference between 3 and 3.5?
    Is 3.5 even offical?

It doesnt matter much with which i start as i'll have to learn most of it anyway so just give your opinion as to which is better.
    Well, the money problem would come up with 3.5 too :(
    And i presume there are not so many books and informations about 3.5ed.

So are those books listed above sufficient for learning the rules and setting up small campaigns?

4. Oaz Gems: 29/31

(Yeah, I was C'Jakob a few minutes before my last post. I never liked my old name.)

Anyways, yes, 3.5E is official. I strongly suggest you use 3.5E, because there are various things in 3E that can be perverted and messed around with. But thankfully, it'll be on the SRD (opengamingfoundation.org/srd.html).

3.5E is essentially a rewritten PHB, DMG, and MM. Those three core books, in either edition, are sufficient to play D&D with, although I still do suggest splatbooks.

5. Gothmog

[​IMG] So then all there is in 3.5 are new things in those three books?

All other books from 3ed are valid for 3.5 as well?

And the campaigns are the same? I mean can you use one you did in 3ed to play 3.5 on it?

6. Oaz Gems: 29/31

The thing is that in 3.5, there are new rulings for most things. It's nowhere near as drastic as the change from 2E to 3E. The other books, I hope, will be "convertable" to 3.5E once you get a hold of it.

As for adventures... well, let's just say that any module with mummies will be changed.

You should probably just go to Wizards.com, go to the D&D section, and find the part on 3.5E revision spotlight. It should help. And there is also a thread in this place that you can dig up and read on.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] If you wait till September, there will be a combo pack of all 3.5e manuals available. It'll include the PHB, DMG and MM... but I don't know if it'll be any cheaper than if you'd buy the manuals separately.

Still, you shouldn't go buying the 3e books now. Wait till July when the 3.5e revised core rulebooks come out and get them then. SP will have them.

All of the new extra stuff WoTC releases will be using the 3.5e rules, so it's worth waiting for those revised manuals and getting them then.

8. Gothmog

[​IMG] I already bought basic books from that guy with a considerable discount :D
    Those are normal 3ed books.

AFAIK the 3.5-new stuff will be on opengamingfoundation.org anyway, so if i need to change anything i'll just go there.

I have all the time i need anyway for 3.5 if i choose to buy it later. For now i'll just enjoy normal 3.

See ya soon as i'll certainly meet a problem as soon as i start learning the thing ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.