1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bashing Atheists?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by LKD, Jun 29, 2005.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

New York Times

[Edit] Stupid thing requires registration -- sorry! I'll put some of it on here:

I thought this was a fabulous idea -- I didn't think that atheists got bashed, but I guess I was wrong!

BTW, this is my first time putting a link on this site -- apologies if I screwed it up.

[EDIT] Which I did, but anyhow, there it is, folks!

[ June 29, 2005, 21:25: Message edited by: LKD ]

2. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Only problem is if you haven't registered with NYT you can't access the link. That is why, copyright be damned, I sometimes cut and past the entire article :lol:

3. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Well I can imagine how atheists get bashed in religious communities just like I can imagine how a muslim can get bashed in a christian community. I'm a bit sceptical about all sorts of "belief" camps and am a bit afraid that they include brainwashing and killing of independent thought but on the other hand I've been on a christian confirmation camp myself and it was loads of fun. Twelve year olds are in my opinion a bit too young for those kinds of camps but that's just my opinion. Parents of course have the right to decide if they send their kids to such camps or not.

4. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

When I bash atheists, I like to use a dead cat.

5. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I've noticed many atheists with "Big Bang" dents on their foreheads.

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I've seen a couple atheists missing all four apendages. Apparently, they've evolved to the point they don't need arms or legs any more.

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Actually, as a Canadian agnostic-leaning-towards-atheism, I've never really encountered any kind of discrimination. Although I'm not really surprised to see it happening in certain parts of the U.S.

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I only run into athiest bashing whenever I'm around my family.

9. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Just as I took a position against bashing certain religions, I disagree with bashing someone because they don't believe in God either.

In the instance of a camp, unless it is run by a specific religious group for the benefit of their younger members (one runs every year for teenage LDS girls in my area), religion should be irrelevent from the proceedings.

10. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Here in Australia, some refugees, which our WONDERFUL government likes to lock up, got released because they had converted to Christianity. If they were atheist, they'd still be in there.

11. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Church is declining here so this is unheard of in the North of Ireland, but I am sure the small villages would paint a different picture.

12. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The minority always get "bashed". Here religion is more condenscended and ridiculed than bashed though. It is viewed as something quaint and cute and useful when you want some ceremony.

13. Dranalis DeAealth

Dranalis DeAealth Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc Veteran

Heh. Here Atheism, or at least a kind of resigned lack of any religious conviction, is assumed to be the norm - which it is. Stating that you were devout would be far more likely to earn you ridicule than if you were openly an atheist. The idea of atheism being actually considered something seditious, in a western society, in 2005, is something I find utterly hilarious, but I imagine such places do exist in some parts of the western world.

14. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Doesn't being an atheist just mean that you don't have any religious beliefs?
    In which case, what is there to bash? The big Bang is a hell of a lot more plausible than any religions out there.

I reckon I'm a devout atheist!

15. Angel Headed Hipster Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Are there any people on this board who are devout followers of Religion?

I'll eStab the first tosser who says he follows Oghama :)

xx

16. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I believe the dictionary would define an atheist as one who does not believe in God. It is quite possible to believe in a Supreme Being without having religious beliefs. At least not in any formal, orthodox, conventional way.

Angel Headed Hipster welcome to SP but do you have a lot to learn. :shake:

I have known a few instances of atheist bashing. It was in a small town in the mid-west.

17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I don't bash atheists for atheism but I never miss the opportunity to remind some people that atheism is also a faith when taken to extremes. ;) So yeah, I bash folks like that guy who said his atheism had scientific grounds in some Polish forum. :D The verb in "I believe there's no God" is "believe", after all, isn't it? ;) Oh dear, I love this tease. :D That's what one gets when I've had enough of the "you don't have any proof, so how can you believe?" kind of talk.

18. Angel Headed Hipster Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Organised world religion is the most contradictory and reactionary force in the world.

Preaching freedom, peace and pacifism whilst practising slavery, war and murder. No one thing has caused so much death.

xx

19. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Eeerr... and why are you tying the practice of slavery, war and murder with organised religion?

Oh dear, it probably works like:

inquisitors and conquistadors were evil and Christian, so Christianity was the reason why they were evil

What about Hitler and Stalin? Those guys were atheists, so should we now conclude that nothing has caused more deaths than atheism?

Or maybe people who have a religion (no matter they live against its tenets) kill because they belong to that church, while those without a church kill for a reason different from not having a church to belong? That would be a double standard.

Sorry, that logic doesn't work.

20. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

That kind of logic works just fine for you whenever it suits you, chev. All one has to do is check out the gay marriage thread over at AoLS to find out.

Sorry for popping in here, but that was a tad too hypocritical for my tastes. How unexpected.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.