1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Barbarian/Berserker comeback

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Zaragoth, Sep 18, 2001.

1. Zaragoth Guest

[​IMG] Ok, people. Don't get mad. I know that this is a topic that has been put up before, and yes - I have searched for it!
    But people change their minds, and there are also new people here on the boards.
    I'm interested in which one you think is best, people. The Barbarian or the Berserker.
    I'll sum up the flaws and merits for them both;

Berserker:
    Can use all the armours.
    Get's ***** in any weapon if he so wishes.
    Can berserk, and get immune to Charm and such spells.
    There are no flaws with this class, only Merits.

Barbarian:
    Can't use Plate or Full Plate armour, and thus loses the best armours in the game.
    Get's ** in any weapon skill, wich CAN be good - since he will be able to use more weapons better than the Berserker.
    Can also berserk, but with better results than the Berserker. He becomes immune to Level Drain wich can be a very annoying thing in this game, and he also get's bonus in strength while in berserk state, right?
    So the major flaw with the Barbarian is the loss of the best armours in the game, but is his berserk ability worth that?

So, wich one would you pick? Wich one seems to end up beeing the best?
    BTW, it's going to be a dwarven Berserker/Barbarian.
    Thx! //Zaragoth
    -------------------
    Oh! One more thing! The barbarian get's 1d12 hp instead of 1d10!

[This message has been edited by Zaragoth (edited September 18, 2001).]

2. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I'd go with the Barbarian for sheer tanking power (come on, give him Bladesinger Chain or Shadow Dragon Scale, Cloak of the Sewers, Ring of Gaxx.... He could be unstoppable as a tank. The good thing about the Berserker is his versatility (you can still dual-class him). In short, the only thing the Barbarian lacks as a tank is two, or three at the most, points of AC.

3. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Dualwielding Berserker! My favorite choice of action.
    Flail of ages and celestial fury, great combo!
    Can carry those big armors as well, getting better AC than the barbarian.

I don't think the enrage ability is worth all that, because you can get enhancing items that could replace those needs.

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited September 18, 2001).]

4. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] I'd have to go with the berserker because it can dual class. I have a friend who has a berserker/cleric, dual wielding Crom Faeyr and the upgraded Flail of the Ages (she actually called me on the phone the moment she completed the flail). Its way beyond absurd! :aaa:

That, coupled with either a Shield of the Archons or a Blade Barrier. :aww:

As it is, "Swinethumper, priestess of Tempus" looks more like a Diablo 2 character than a SoA one. :eek:

5. Zaragoth Guest

[​IMG] eveningdrive:
    I want you to tell me about dwarven bers./barb. and not humans.
    And dwarves can't dual to clerics. :p

6. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] You know why Korgan is my fav...:p

7. Zaragoth Guest

[​IMG] Hm? I do, Laksol?
    I don't think so.
    Why is he yer favourite? (He's mine to) :D

8. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] eeeep! Sorry Zaragoth, didn't catch the BTW on your post. Didn't mean to spam... :roll:

Anyway, for a dwarf, I'd go for a berserker, mainly for "cultural" reasons. It says in the kit description that its pretty common among the deep folk. Battleragers, yeah!

Besides, I'd imagine dwarves wouldn't readily give up a platemail for a non-metal one. :)

Grandmastery with a weapon(especially traditional dwarven choices such as axes and warhammers)also helps immensely.

There ya go. Sorry again for the oversight! :D

9. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I pick Beserkers. Immune to Maze/Imprisonment is the only real reason. And usually I find lots of great armors. the dragon scale especially.

Out Of topic. Anyway I find it strange that the game conciders dragon/ankheg armor magic. Its just natural bodyplates. Is Hide magic because it comes from a Gibberling and not a cow? Clumsy Bioware :rooleyes:

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited September 20, 2001).]

10. zantetsuken Guest

Hmm... In my opinion, the Barbarian's better - but by just a very little bit. You see, the Barbarian's inability to wear full plate and plate armor is backed by an ability to gain resistance to weaponry and immunity to backstab. The +2 to movement is also great, and Barbarians also become harder to hit and seriously injure when they use their rage ability. The additional hit point roll's helpful as well.

Berserker's get to go as far as Grand Mastery, and their enrage gives them immunity to one of the most feared spells in the game - the imprisonment spell. But in SoA, there are few who could cast that (though those who could can cast it a lot) and Protection from Magic also gets the Barbarian through easy. (Vhailor's Helm makes this happen in an unlimited number of times) And there are many weapons that could make the Berserker immune to level drain... Put these facts together, plus in-game realities, and, in my opinion, the Barbarian wins by a very small pinch...

But this is in SoA. If this were a ToB topic post or if the Berserker were human, my opinions could change.... a lot....:D

11. Deano99 Gems: 9/31

well i have made a Berserker and a barbarian... and i found the Beserker to be much nastier from the word go.

Granted, Barbarians have an amazing ability in Rage, but the Beserkers ability to Grand Mastery in weapons is the focal point more than anything. I had my Dwarven beserker dual wielding Warhammers. Now that was *fun*!

12. Laksol Gems: 9/31

[​IMG] To Zaragoth:

You know Korgan is a chaotic evil man, so am I, ok? :evil: Besides, he's unique. :p

Do I need elaborate more on this? :rolleyes:

13. Zaragoth Guest

[​IMG] Hehe, no you don't have to Laksol. I think just like you in this matter. :evil:

14. balta Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I thýnk barbarian is better.A barbarian is much faster than a berseker in combat.and he can level up faster.and barbaric rage is better than bersek.

15. Zaragoth Guest

[​IMG] Ok, people.
    Now I need a dwarven name. I'd like it to be with Thor-something.
    Not Thorgrim.
    I thought Thorwulf but it sounds shit. So pls gimme a name now, people :D

16. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Thorin?;) No? Well, I thought so...

But if you change the 'i' to another vowel:
    Thoran, Thoren or Thoron?

Thorg? Nah, maybe too orcish... Thorgan? Too Korganny... Perhaps Thorkell?

Just some suggestions.

17. Zaragoth Guest

Keep 'em coming, people!

18. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Thornbottom

19. Zaragoth Guest

Thornbottom? Hmmmz. I don't know 'bout that BTA... :p

[This message has been edited by Zaragoth (edited September 21, 2001).]

20. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Thorgimaceteezembop? Plain Thor? (you do, after all, have divine blood;)) Thorkimdazenn'himmelkummelgitsanfilkyn?
    Thorne TA? No?;)
    Thorvald? Thorr Stonecleaver?

[This message has been edited by Namuras (edited September 21, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.