1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Banks Still Following Poor Practices

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Blackthorne TA, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    So after the scandal of discovering the proclivity of banks to use dubious practices during the mortgage meltdown, they all promised to shape up. I'm sure we all believed them :rolleyes:

Predictably, in the face of regulatory inaction, it looks like nothing has changed

2. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    My big problem with this, is that I'm still not seeing cases where the mortgage wasn't delinquent and the foreclosure isn't warranted. I know everyone wants to paint the banks as "big bad evil corporations", but they really aren't. What they are is lazy for not doing the job properly the first time.

I think it is highly likely that someone who defaulted on their mortgage will end up keeping their house "free and clear" because the current holder of the mortgage will be unable to produce the promissory note or some other sort of documentation.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I agree; but to me taking away someone's house is a serious action that requires serious and meticulous attention to detail.

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    You are so full of crap. Those cases have received wide news coverage. And I especially liked the one in which the Florida couple who paid cash for their home, and had to go to court, was allowed to foreclose on a Bank of America branch near their home. They showed up at the branch with an order from the judge and the local police, to close it and begin selling off the assets until their costs of having to prove in court that Bank of America had wrongly foreclosed on their home was paid. Of course, a very shocked branch manager cut them a check for the amount.

5. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Ha! That was hilarious! :)

6. rg58 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

In case anyone was wondering about the story CtR was telling. It's a very funny man bites dog story:)

We have like 3 or 4 debt collecters that call our business all the time claiming we owe money for stuff we have never even heard of. 1 of them is for construction of a building in Iowa, we are in north carolina!
    Banks & debt collecters are the worst informed people on the planet.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I completely agree. Look, 99% of the time, when a bank goes to foreclose on a property it is because the homeowner actually IS behind on their mortgage. But there is a larger point here - a mortgage is a legally binding document, and when you foreclose on someone's house, you are required to abide by the legal arrangement you made.

The article focused on robo-signers. The very people that were supposed to be reviewing the mortgage and making sure that the bank was following these regulations, weren't even reviewing the documents that were having electronic signature applied to them. That's an obvioius breach of the agreement.

No one is claiming that if you don't pay your mortgage you get to keep your house. The arguement here is that just because the homeowner failed to live up to their legal agreement - i.e., to pay their mortgage - does not give the bank the right to cut corners and and not abide by their part of the agreement as well.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.