1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Baldur's Gate II conversions (to 3E)

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Oaz, May 31, 2003.

1. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I converted the magical shields (only the "special" ones) to 3E. I've also included pricing, requirements, and caster level, like a good boy should. This is my first hand at this, so there are going to be errors in this. Someone please point these out to me; I'm way to blind.

Thanks to Dan Simpson for providing the material for the BG2 equipment and to SP for putting it, well, on SP.

Shield of the Falling Stars
    Illmater himself enchanted this shield upon seeing a young squire's willingness to endure untold agony for the well-being of his mount. During a fierce battle between a human cavalry division and a hobgoblin horde, the young man was sent for reinforcements. He was beset by a cascade of arrows that nearly blocked out the sun, and he knew that even if he avoided the arrows himself, should his horse fall he would surely be doomed. With his shield and body he positioned himself to take the brunt of the onslaught, and was mortally wounded for it. His horse remained unscathed allowing for their escape, and his body was carried back to the nearest town, where he was resurrected from death.
    This is a +1 large steel shield, but against ranged attacks, it grants a +6 armor bonus, rather than the normal +3 bonus.
    Caster Level: 5th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, protection from missiles; Market Price: 8620 gp; Cost to Create: 4250 gp + 340 XP.

(Design notes: I took the average of a +1 shield and a +4 shield.)

Kiel’s Buckler
    This is the buckler of Kiel the Legion-Killer, first-born son of Durlag Trollkiller and Clan-prince of his father's ill-fated tower. Its light weight and excellent craftsmanship increase the dexterity of all who bear it by a single point.
    This is a +1 buckler, and it grants a +2 enhancement bonus to Dexterity.
    Caster Level: 5th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, cat’s grace; Market Price: 9115 gp; Cost to Create: 4500 gp + 360 XP.

(Design notes: I know the game shield grants a +1 to Dexterity. That’s a no-no in 3E. Amped it up to +2. Still not sure if it was the right thing to do, though…)

Dragon Scale Shield +2
    Another powerful item created by the warlock Wormsor, this shield consists of red dragon skin stretched over a steel frame. Green and white dragon scales adorn the red background in a pattern that, when looked in the right way, reveals the face of an ancient dragon.
    This is a +2 large steel shield that grants cold, fire, and electricity resistance 5.
    Caster Level: 5th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, resist elements; Market Price: 42370 gp; Cost to Create: 21125 gp + 1690 XP.

(Design notes: I essentially made this a “+6.5” shield in terms of pricing. Weird, huh?)

Reflection Shield +1
    Thought only a decoration from some forgotten festhall, this shield languished in the backroom of a shop until a young noble purchased it as parade armor. Its dormant enchantments were discovered when a later attempt on his life was foiled as the shield reflected each attack back at the would-be assassins. Subsequent study has linked it to Myth Rhynn, or perhaps some other ancient excavation.
    This is a +1 large steel shield that reflects missile weapons back to the attacker. Use the attacker’s own attack roll.
    Caster Level: 9th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, telekinesis; Market Price: 181120 gp; Cost to Create: 90500 gp + 7240 XP.

(Design notes: Yeah, this costs a crapload. Look at it this way: being able to reflect missiles is, like, a 5th level spell, right? Well, there ya go.)

Shield of Harmony +2
    Audn of the Field, Knight-Champion for the wizard Kekkim, carried this shield for most of his life. It protects the bearer from most forms of mind control, a benefit for a wizard who needed warrior allies to stay faithfully at his side. Both Kekkim and Audn have long since returned to the earth, leaving the shield to whomever might recover it from Kekkim's tower.
    This is a +2 large steel shield that grants immunity to charm person, confusion, dominate person, and hold person, as if he had an unbeatable SR against them.
    Caster Level: 16th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, spell immunity; Market Price: 265120 gp; Cost to Create: 132500 gp + 10400 XP.

(Design notes: Yeah, this costs a crapload too. I raised the price by 5000 gp because spell immunity technically shouldn’t provide protection versus dominate person.)

Shield the Lost +2
    This odd shield was constructed by nomads that once inhabited the forest of Mir, a group long since absorbed into "civilized" society and forgotten. Examination reveals fine weaving of animal and human hair bound together by enchantment, though how this was done is lost to time.
    This is a +2 large steel shield that grants SR 11.
    Caster Level: 7th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, spell resistance; Market Price: 18120 gp; Cost to Create: 9000 gp + 360 XP.

(Design notes: Hey look! A non-expensive shield! I made this +3 in terms of pricing. The SR is relatively high compared to the game version, but SR 11 is not a very big deal for adventurers who are powerful enough to already acquire such equipment.)

If you would like to know how I get these market prices, I will be glad to discuss it with you over PM. Of course, some are kind of screwed up, but well, just criticize me on it, okay?

EDIT

Now it's halberds too.

Dragon's Bane
    This was the weapon of Thorvin Dukal, one of seven self-proclaimed Dragonslayers who spent years railing against what they called "an insidious dragon infestation that threatened Faerun." Thorvin had this weapon enchanted at great expense and used it on many occasions, though of dragons only a single white has fallen to it. The Dragonslayers met their match in a cantankerous ancient red who slew the entire group in an epic battle. This weapon did not end up in the beast's hoard however, as the creature returned to its lair to recuperate and when it emerged the field of combat was well scavenged.
    This is a +3 halberd, and it deals +2d6 damage versus dragons.
    Caster Level: 9th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, summon monster I; Market Price: 32310 gp; Cost to Create: 16000 gp + 1280 XP.

(Design notes: in terms of pricing, this is a +4 halberd. See Sean K. Reynolds’ page: http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/magicitems/greaterbaneandlesserbane.html Oh, and 2d6 averages out to 7; close to the game version of +6.)

Dragon's Breath
    Trying to profit from the strength of greater beings, many years ago the mage Ullion founded a dragon-worshipping cult under the moniker "Son of Drago." Attracting followers with promises of conquest, he sought to secure his authority by enchanting this symbolic weapon for his bodyguard, Jaramor Bold. When the Dragon's Breath strikes an opponent it releases the harsh flames of a red dragon, the poisonous vapor of the green dragon, the blue dragon's lightning bolt, a spray of a black dragon's acid, and the white dragon's penetrating cold. Unfortunately, Ullion was the first to feel its effects, slain by the ambitious Jaramor who sought to rule. There was no real power to be had without the mage, so the entire organization soon collapsed on itself.
    This is a +4 halberd, and it deals +1 point of cold, acid, fire, and electricity damage each. With each hit, the victim also must make a Fortitude save (DC 14) or be poisoned (1d2 initial Constitution damage; secondary none).
    Caster Level: 12th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, flame blade, fireball, or flame strike; chill metal or ice storm; call lightning or lightning bolt; acid arrow; poison; Market Price: 72310 gp; Cost to Create: 36000 gp + 2880 XP.

(Design Notes: +6 weapon in terms of pricing.)

Blackmist
    This was the weapon of Dominique Harl, a sightless paladin who frequently traveled Faerun. When attacked, Dominique would unleash the black mist that is this halberd's namesake, potentially blinding all within ten feet. This often gave him the advantage, for he lived in darkness all his life, seeing only with the inner light of faith. Dominique eventually fell, his body found in a dark forest, slain by a creature of the night even more at home in the shadows than he.
    This is a +4 halberd, and it may create darkness on command three times a day, as per the spell.
    Caster Level: 12th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, darkness; Market Price: 61110 gp; Cost to Create: 30400gp + 2430 XP.

(Design Notes: the game version is not actually the same thing as darkness, but it is close enough, I believe. Also more in spirit of the idea of the weapon.)

Duskblade
    Though once a simple halberd, this weapon spent many hundreds of years in a tomb next to the soul phylactery of a powerful lich. The creature was eventually erased from existence, purportedly by another of its kind, but such close proximity to that concentrated evil has imbued this blade with the very essence of night and the chill of darkness, energy that becomes deadly in combat. It is a foul weapon, and a warrior should use it with caution.
    This is a +2 halberd, and it deals 2 points of cold damage on hit.
    Caster Level: 8th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, chill metal or ice storm; Market Price: 13510 gp; Cost to Create: 6600 gp + 530 XP.

(2 divided by 3.5 (average damage of a frost weapon) equals around .57. Thus… this baby is a +2.57 weapon in terms of pricing. I think that works.)

Wave
    Forged in antiquity by a cult devoted to the goddess Umberlee, this weapon of vengeance was designed to aid the cult's champion in retrieving a holy artifact from the fire giants of the Storm Horn Mountains. That was a lot of hope to place in one champion, and unfortunately the Wave had been lost ever since.
    This is a +4 halberd. On each hit, it has a 15% chance to drain water from its victim, on which it deals +3d8 damage (Fortitude save DC 20 halves the damage). Creatures with the fire subtype must make a Fortitude save (DC 20) or be slain.
    Caster Level: 13th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, finger of death, quench; Market Price: 300310 gp; Cost to Create: 150000 gp + 12000 XP.

(Tough to price. Tough to price. Thanks to Catbert with this. Without the slaying fire thingies effect, it’s around +6. With it, it’s +225000 gp. Yikes.)

[ June 02, 2003, 01:26: Message edited by: Oaz ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.