1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bad Pool Caller & Other Problems - Hyperthreading in XP

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by chevalier, Jan 21, 2007.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I've installed the PIV 2.6c I've bought recently, as well as the 7600GT AGP card. I'm getting Bad Pool Callers and my system is lagging even in Internet Explorer (it takes ages to scroll down the page). What could be giving me the trouble? I've heard it might be RAM, but my RAM is okay. Running at stock speed and it had been running okay until today, so it's not RAM. Any other ideas?

Edit: Seems to be about USB. Bugcode_USB_driver. And I've done nothing to USB. It's always been fine until now.

Edit2: Okay, problem solved. At least in so far as making Windows and programs workable goes. There are many causes of such errors, but in my case, it was the Hyperthreading processor conflicting with the graphics card and even USB devices. Not good for threads, it seems. Guess that's what you have for emulating two CPUs on one. ;) In case anyone else has the same problem, disabling those devices, removing them etc etc and then resetting computer and reinstalling the drivers for those components sometimes solves it all.

What an annoying bug. And the explanations are so misleading. I thought I had burnt my RAM while testing fans a bit and resetting often.

[ January 21, 2007, 23:56: Message edited by: chevalier ]

2. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Did you change any hardware just before the problems began to appear (other than the fans)? I am just curious about the root cause for this.

3. chevalier

Media:
    GeForce 7600GT instead of 5900XT is one change. Instead of Celeron 2.4, I used a PIV 2.6c with hyperthreading. Hyperthreading creates bugs in XP.

4. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I have used a Northwood P4 2.8 with HT for two years without a single bug relating to HT. My bro has been using it for quite some time as well, without a problem either. HT causing bugs in XP? Sorry, dude, never seen that.

5. Erod Gems: 14/31

Veteran

It will cause "bugs" when you switch from a non-HT prosessor to a HT prosessor just like that.

6. chevalier

Media:
    Ah, I should have posted my solution earlier. ;)

Guys, HT conflicts with USB. Newer drivers for USB devices correct the problem, but on stock drivers HT seems to think it's getting overloaded. Basically, something wrong with splitting the job between the one and the other core. Updated my modem drivers and used the USB to PS2 converter for my keyboard and mouse.

@Erod: So if I were to reinstall Windows on a clean disk or something, it should go? I've heard from people saying it's better for a couple of days and then still bugged again.

7. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

The one scenario I can imagine is switching from a non-HT to HT processor and NOT enable HT in the BIOS... that I could imagine would f*** up.

I've reinstalled XP home on my bro's P4 sometime ago, and I never saw HT conflict with USB (stock drivers too). You've got a strange problem I never, ever seen.

8. chevalier

Media:
    Microshaft says it's a not so very common problem and they give you a fix if you contact client support. But they won't be getting any cash from me apart from what I need to pay for the OS itself. I suppose if you install the system with an HT processor already in, then you don't get problems, but I'm not sure. Some people report problems even in such cases, so I suppose my rare problem could fit in that area too.

However, I think my Windows has never been reinstalled (I considered reinstalling every couple of months to be a necessary hygienic activity back in Windows 95/98 times...). I keep it neat and all, but I've changed one processor and two graphics cards in the meantime, so who knows, maybe I should reinstall. I guess I'll just see if there's anything important I don't have installers for. What I fear is having to disable HT anyway when the OS tries to update via the USB modem, although I can update the driver the first thing I do.

9. Erod Gems: 14/31

Veteran

Reinstalling would be my advice. But if this is indeed a known bug, could you give a link to the MS KB article, I am too lazy to search for one.

10. chevalier

Media:
    Got the same after reinstalling, but this time, as it was plain XP before service packs, I just got rebooted. Updated modem drivers with HT switched off in BIOS and then things were okay, so turned it back on and so I've had it ever since.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.