1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

backstabbing question and a challenge

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Parvini, Apr 23, 2001.

1. Parvini Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] What exactly is backstabbing? I've seen much talk of it but do not know either what it is or how it functions...

Also has anyone ever managed to kill one of the psycho assassins that will come and destroy you if you attack a shadow thief? I challenge anyone to succefully kill one of those guys without losing a member of your party. I'd like to know how many exp. points they're worth.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Backstabbing is a rogue ability and results in a damage multiplier (depending on the rogue's level) being applied to the amount of damage done in the attack. You need to hide in shadows and sneak up behind the target. Once there, the next attack (if you have an appropriate stabbing weapon equipped)will be an attempted backstab.

As to the assassin that comes, I believe he's invincible and quite deadly...

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited April 23, 2001).]

3. Big Bad Bert Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Backstabbing is basically sneaking up behind somebody unseen and unheard and then, err, well, stabbing them in the back. Damage can be quite high depending on the weapon used and the backstab damage multiplier value.

The other guy you mention (forgot his name now) that appears (and is completely undetectable by any means) if you attack a shadow thief boss cannot be killed. You may notice that he kills outright regardless of the damage he inflicts. He will usually attack the PC first but it is possible to prolong the fight although he will always win in the end.

SPOILER
    >
    >
    >
    >

This same bloke will help the party later on if you ask Aran Linvail for help in defeating the vampires.

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    The really powerful thing about backstabbing is the damage multiplier. I depends on the level of the thief:

-2x lvl-1 to 4
    -3x lvl-5 to 8
    -4x lvl-9 to 12
    -5x lvl-13+

Yo can imagine what damage a backstab can cause on a critical hit (I experienced a max. 178 damage once - with a dc fighter-thief with granmdmastery in katanas and C`Fury and str-19)

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited April 23, 2001).]

5. Tyresian Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Ragusa, i believe ur wrong on the multiplyer. At high enough levels the game doesn't record the multiplyer cause its like x7 or x8 n u deal around 100 damage.

6. Parvini Gems: 10/31

What happens if you cast time stop on that guy? can you damage him then? He is so mysterious....

7. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Oh no....nooo... not THAT guy again. His name is Arkanis Gath. He is not 'nigh' invincible, but actually 'totally' invincible. His weapon alone gives him insane amount of HP's, insane amounts of pluses THAC0, insane amounts of damage dealing and can strike you from across the room. He's also like 95%resistant to everything from damage to magic.

Of course he has a purpose for being there in the game which is to 'force you' to work within the story line. -That is for those that work with the Shadow Thieves and not Bohdi and the Vamps.

BTW, don't go to the Shadow Master until AFTER you kill Bohdi and the Vamps. Otherwise Arkanis Gath will "Help" you defeat the Vampire guild and he also just so happens to suck up probably 150k of XP while doing this. He's way too much of a killing machine. That XP should be yours and your NPC party alone.

Back to the subject?... Blackthorne, Ragusa and others already answered that :)

8. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] Tyresian: I checked the multiplier in the manual before posting them (what a progress :D ). Within the BG-2 x-cap you just can reach 5x damage - I don´t know how it develops further in AD&D on higher levels for I´m not that familiar with the rules.

About 100+ damage: consider that you can deal some 30 damage on an average fighter on critical hit, sometimes *much* more - just take the 30 and guess quadruple damage: 120 ... so why 7x damage? Some people still consider the 5x damage to unballance the game and making thieves too strong ...

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited April 24, 2001).]

9. Zorac Gems: 11/31

About Arkanis, he can be killed if you shapechange to a mind flayer. But why bother, he's not supposed to be killed.

10. Parvini Gems: 10/31

What happens if you kill him? How many exp. is he worth? And can you get his weapon? How do you shapechange into a mindflayer anyway?

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] I didn't try to kill Aran so I didn't know about this guy. But I'm glad they showed some brains since part one and allowed for powergamers. Now, the story will not glitch in this way since you can't screw over the shadow thieves by whacking them all and thus screwing the plotline up or having them "magically be alive again" when the plot needs them ;) (i.e. Tazok)

12. Parvini Gems: 10/31

Zorak do answer me... shapechange to a mindflayer? How?

13. LordSelane Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Actually, his sword doesn't give him any hp, he just has minhp1 set in his creature file. And you can indeed kill him by casting protection from magical weapons, then casting shapechange, changing to a mind flayer, and draining his int. You can actually kill anyone who's supposed to be invincible using that trick. And you don't get any exp from him, since you never get int from killing people that way. Finally, he doesn't drop his sword when you kill him, but he does drop the night's gift+5. You can just create his sword through the console, though(not that i reccomend it).

14. Parvini Gems: 10/31

BUT HOW DO YOU SHAPECHANGE INTO A MINDFLAYER?

15. Ragusa

Media:
    I think you can get the ability casting limited wish choosing the "I want to be whatever I want" option. I never tried it myself, so it´s just a guess.

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    As far as I know, the only way to do it is through the use of some editor like Shadowkeeper to add yourself the abilites of mind flayers and change your avatar. You can't do it by any other means.

Ok, I stand corrected... You CAN do it with the level 9 spell Shapechange, but unless you're cheating so that you can memorize it and cast it from your spellbook, you won't be casting it very often. Level 9 spells don't just lie around in dozens.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited April 25, 2001).]

17. Zorac Gems: 11/31

And what's wrong with level 9 spell Shapechange?

18. LordSelane Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Yeah, if you'll look I specifically said "casting shapechange", as in the spell. Or you could use limited wish to get the spell cast on you(but only once).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.