1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Avoid Death (HLA) question

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Splunge, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The description for the rogue HLA Avoid Death says "for 5 rounds...the rogue gains a -5 bonus to save vs. death, his hit points are increased by 20 and the rogue becomes immune to death magic for the duration of the ability"

My question is, what does “-5 bonus to save vs. death” mean? Presumably, it’s not referring to death spells, since this HLA makes you immune to those anyway, so a saving throw bonus would be redundant. But if not that, then what? What other kind of “death” is there, aside from running out of hitpoints or attribute points (but in those cases, I’m not aware of saving throws being applied).

:confused:

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hmm, I would guess it is for saves against, heck, now that I think about it I dont know what it means. There is a save category for saves vs death right? I also seem to remember there being some weapons and a few spells which makes you save vs death, but if you are immune to death magic it shouldnt matter as you said. If not by death magic they just mean the magic school of necromancy. Hell, now you've gotten me all confused!

3. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Don't most of the spells in the game say what the target must save vs.? I'm pretty sure that Disintegration saves against Death, as does Black Blade of Disaster. I'm not sure how many other spells save against Death, but once you eliminate death magic spells, it can't be that many.

4. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Isn't death and poison rolled into one? I forget :(

5. Vengeance Incarnate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I think by death magic they mean spells like Finger of Death and Disintigrate.

If that's the case, Avoid Death is kinda like a souped-up Death Ward spell for 5 rounds.

6. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Paralyze/Poison/Death are all one saving throw.

7. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Perhaps it is refering to something like the Axe of the Unyelding...where if you don't make a save vs death, you'll get be-headed...that's not "death magic" but a save vs. death could help you keep your head on. :rolling:

8. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ah ha! I think Kitrax may have it - there are a number of attacks not involving death spells which allow a save vs. death to avoid the effects. So it sounds reasonable. But I'm not sure how often this would actually be useful.

Edit: stupid question (based on a wrong assumption) deleted.

[ October 24, 2004, 18:10: Message edited by: Splunge ]

9. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

It also makes you almost completely immune to poison, by giving you an inhuman saving throw against it.

10. Geoff Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

That's not necessarily completely immune.. For example, the assassin's poison weapon ability allows for a save vs. poison, and if succeeded, you only take half damage. Hence, you're not immune, just it hurts you less :p

11. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.