1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Australia's PAL Gives Neverwinter Nights 2 6.5

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by chevalier, Dec 26, 2006.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    PAL Gaming Network has raised the banner of discontentment with Neverwinter Nights 2. Not even as such, since 6.5 is supposed to be an unimpressive but safe positive (cf. 65% in a test), but relative to the general hype of 9-9.5 grades. Here's a snip:

Oh boy - what have you done this time Obsidian? Are your games just a reflection of a poor development studio or are you really stuck with bad luck; what with your constantly rushed games? Knights of the Old Republic 2 felt like a stake to our Star Wars-loving hearts with its unfinished ending – and now we have Neverwinter Nights 2 which is fitted with incredibly poor gameplay decisions and is released in what can only be described as a ‘untested’ state.

What went wrong though is anyone’s guess. After BioWare’s magnificent outing in 2002 with its beautifully addictive Neverwinter Nights, it seems that passing the torch over to Obsidian has only hurt what was quite possibly one of PALGN’s favourite RPGs on the PC. While most of the appeal of diving into the game’s ungodly amount of depth is still intact with NWN2, the developers somehow forgot to include an accessible game, and many other holes that got overlooked.

Read the rest at PAL Gaming Network. Thanks to Harbourboy for the PM.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

This does seem consistent with some people's experience of the game. Although, it is fair to say that it is clear that the reviewer is not a fan of D&D, judging by the way he talks about in sort of the third person, as if there must be people out there who do like D&D.

Oh well, I'll be starting to play it soon, so I'll be able to find out once and for all if it is any good!

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I already have, as has my brother. My perception is that NWN2 can't look like NWN1 at NWN1's framerate. My system is below the updated minimal requirements for NWN2, whereas in 1024*768, NWN1 was a rocket and a beautiful one. Okay, if I switched everything on and to the max and also turned the nVidia driver to the far left on the Beauty/Speed slider, I then sometimes had some little stuttering. But nothing major. In NWN2? Seeing 18 fps at one point gave me a jaw drop. So that's a bad thing. But the game is involving. I sort of like it from the start. I like character creation, menu music and all. And feats. Let's see where it takes me. My brother says the graphics are like in Fable and he was able to complete that game on a Celeron 800 machine with a GF3 or 4 Ti and some 512 MB RAM.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.