1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Aussie Devs Don't Like Aussie Rating System

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by chevalier, Aug 17, 2009.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]And they use rather clear words on that! The President of Game Developers Association of Australia says the system is a "joke". It seems that if you can't make it under 18, then you can forget it, given as e.g. Fallout 3 has been denied classification, effectively barring it from the market. At the same time, in the film industry, grades for above 18 exist. Here's a snip:

The Australian video game classification system is a "joke", says Tom Crago, president of the region's Game Developers Association of Australia trade body.

"We are once again caught in this awful, ridiculous web of the antiquated classification system that we all have to endure," says Crago.

The country lacks a rating for games with content aimed at those 18 years of age or older -- even though an equivalent exists in film ratings. Titles with such content are routinely denied classification in the region, preventing them from ever launching there.

Read the rest at Gamasutra.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Yes that's right, we're the laughing stock of the gameing community :(

3. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    That's what I've always found completely bizzarre about the Australian system: if the boards refuses to rate a game then the game is illegal. That's the worst kind of censorship I can think. Why not create more ratings to cover these points and have the game as over-18 only, or whatever? I miss the old rating system from the mid-90s, where instead of an age you had a separate rating for violence, sexual content and mature themes. You knew exactly what you were getting, and if I was a parent I would find it much more useful than a generic "PG-13" or "R" or whatever, never mind when some of the ratings aren't even present. To be fair I think Australia just copied the UK's system, where the board can also refuse to classify the game. Both boards really need to rework their rating system.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.