1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

ATI All in Wonder...

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by chevalier, Jun 15, 2005.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
  2. Alehldean

Alehldean For humanity's sake, please keep all appendages

Adding a TV tuner increases the price and adds some (possibly interesting) features. An AIW based on a 9600 Pro should work just as well as a straight 9600 Pro. It's just as good, if not better.

As for the dual VGA: dual monitors. If you want it. Can greatly increase your screen real estate. If you have or can afford an additional monitor.

I would take the chance personnally. It's a good buy.

3. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Looks OK Chev,

Normally you pay extra for a TV tuner. Unless you planing to use 2 screen the dual VGA is not worth it. THe next line of cards is iminent so you may wish to wait a little longer theres sure to be a price drop on the current generation.

4. chevalier

Media:
    Yeah, looks like double that price and I can have a GeForce 6 kind of card. I'm in a dead end, a bit. On one hand, I don't buy games because my card sucks (TNT2). On the other hand, the newest games I have are NWN and Warcraft 3 which I can handle. Makes me keep looking around for bargains on auctions but not really go to a normal shop for a normal purchase. Might be able to get an R600pro for less than the All in Wonder -- and it already disappeared before I made up my mind. ;)

5. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I have an onboar Ati Radeon IGP 345M and it's a pain, none of the drivers from Ati website works, all those Ati all in- things says that I don't have the chip or things like that, I really don't know what's the problem, and in the properties tab, it says that I have a TV tunner even tho I know I don't have that.
    I'm going to throw away this computer soon...
    Sorry, I don't point any solution here, I just wanted to express my dissapoint with Ati.

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    @Sydax, you have onboard video on your motherboard and you think you can complain? You sold your ability to complain about your 'video card' when you decided to buy a computer with onboard video.

@Chev, an ATI A-I-W card is the exact same as the base card it is listed as...in your case, an ATI 9600 PRO. ATI moves some of the resistors, capacitors, and anything else in the way, and slaps a Phillips brand TV tuner (the big silver box) on the card's real-estate. The also release a different version of their Catalyst drivers, and toss in a PVR program and sometimes some other goodies...like a remote.

Personally, I would part with the extra cash and get either an A-I-W X600 PRO (if you have PCIe) or an A-I-W X800 XT if you can afford the $350 it costs to get it. :thumb: :rolling:

7. chevalier

Media:
    Alas! The job situation isn't great ATM and reserves are short, while TNT2 won't even run NWN nicely, so I went for an MSI GeForce 5900XT for $100 because it was a good bargain. Finally metal armour looks like metal. ;)

8. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Oh, you just wait for your next upgrade.
    Blinn-Phong....... *drools*
    How I love 3DMark.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.