1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Assemble the *Ultimate* Party

Discussion in 'Playground' started by diagnull, Nov 8, 2007.

1. diagnull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

So, inspired by the mod for NWN that lets you create your own henchmen, I started pondering what would be my "Ultimate" RPG party, using members from any games I've played.

I decided to settle on 6 members (me + 5 others) and, since I typically run a NG Druid or Ranger, pick a party to complement that...but ultimately, it's really just up to who I liked the most.

So, besides me, I'll take...

1) Minsc (and Boo) - BG: No explanation needed really.
    2) Visas Marr - KOTOR2: My fav of the available Jedi, I liked her backstory. Something about the tragic history and her turn to the darkside and then back to light, just worked for me.
    3) Captain Johne - Ultima V: Might be blasphemy not to take one of the 8 traditional companions, but again, Captain Johne's backstory sold me. That he inadvertently caused the Shadowlords to appear and wanted to correct his action, made me happy to have him join when i first played U5.
    4) Dogmeat - Fallout: Same as Minsc, no explanation needed.
    5) Cate Archer - No One Live Forever: Strange choice mayve, but i loved the games and hey...what's better to round out a party than a thief\spy type?

So, there's my choices...

What's yours?

(Oh, and this question is just in general, not just talking about NWN...)

-D

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think Iolo, Shamino, and Dupre will forever be my ultimate RPG companions.

After those three I think I would need to choose from: Imoen, Morte, Falls-From-Grace, and Annah. Choosing only two would be difficult, perhaps FFG and Imoen (depending on the adventure :)).

They are not the ultimate party, not by any powergaming standard, but they are the company I would prefer.

3. diagnull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I probably shouldn't have said "ultimate" because I don't care about powergaming standards. My party has always been about the people, not the power. In BG2, I *know* that i was underpowered to some degree do to keeping both Imoen and Nalia, rather than trading one for a heavy hitter, but I didn't want to get rid of either one. (Yes, even Nalia!)

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

1) Squall [FF8] - I went through a Squall-like phase when I was younger, so I really identify with the character. And it was just heart-warming to see his transformation over...
    2) Rinoa [FF8] - Long range weapon, naive character who gets knocked around and learns from it, and she has a pet (even if it is a dog :p ) who does awesome Limit Breaks. What's not to love?
    3) Viconia [BG & BG2] - Need a healer, and after going through the romances one day (using IE) giving answers that I myself would give, because I was bored, I was a little surprised to see that I didn't mesh with Jaheira (she blew up when I used her own "tough love" approach on her), but instead Viccy.
    4) Annah [PS:T] - That little tiefling worked her way into my heart in PS:T. Mysterious, tragic, and that accent...combined with her heart of gold, I'd have her guarding my back any day with those punch daggers.
    5) ???

What the party lacks is a second dedicated tank (Annah's a flanker and Viccy is backup), a dedicated archer, and a moral center. I'd probably be the archer, as I'm rather obsessed with the advantages of ranged attacks, but I can't quite figure out what pally-type to stick in the last slot. Closest I can come is Cyan from FF3/6j, but I don't feel nearly as much of a connection with him as I do the other four. Guess I need to play more games. :grin:

5. Giles Barskins Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Sulik from Fallout 2: Gampy-Bone and the Seven Demon Bags says it all.
    Morte from PST: Great dialogue
    Minsk from BG2: I really don't have to explain this one on this forum
    HK-47 from KOTOR: great dialogue
    Vala from Secret of the Silver Blades: I kinda just threw this in here to see if anybody even remembers who I'm talking about here. But, she DID have 18 in every stat except intelligence and not too bad on the eyes for EGA graphics. Could dual class her to a cleric or something.

Yeah, I know it's a really fighter intensive group, but with the exception of Vala, they are some of the funniest and most colorful characters I've ever come across. The group would destroy and be really funny while doing it.

6. Mudde Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

name, [game], (occupation in his/her game),position in my ultimate party

1) Slade [Shining Force 2] - (thief/ninja) - All parties need a good rogue
    2) Visas Marr [SW:KOTOR2] - (Jedi Sentinel) - Fighter/Mage
    3) Frog or Magus [Chrono Trigger] - (Knight and dark wizard) - Really like them both but don't want 2 chars from the same game. Any of them would be fine.
    4) Gilius Thunderhead [Golden Axe] - (a battle axe-wielding dwarf) - Party tank
    5) Orta [Panzer Dragoon Orta] - (Dragon Rider) - Don't really know what she should do. If she can bring her dragon I think she won't need the rest of the party
    6) My own IWD2-characher: A Deep Gnome Super-multiclassed decoy with extremely high AC (but otherwise weak as hell and low HP)

7. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I have to agree with Dupree from Ultima IV. Combine a Tank with a little magic and you're good to go.
    Arkantos from Age of Mythology. A second frontline fighter would be nice.
    Black Mage from 8-bit theater because he doesn't like anyone, but he likes to blow s*** up.
    White Mage, also from 8-bit theatre, because Black mage doesn't like anyone and doesn't care what he blows up...
    Need a sheaky type character to round out the group...

8. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

My ultimate party...

[​IMG]
    Good choice, T2! :thumb: But I don't know if I'll have space for any of those Britannians...

1. Kreia (SW: KotORII) - Manipulative, bitter and an awesome character. Powerful, too.
    2. Morte (PS:T) - A necrophilia quip for every occasion, Morte must be the only smart alec sidekick type I've ever found amusing rather than annoying. And pairing him with Kreia... :shake:
    3. Garrett - (Thiefs passim) O.K., he's not a team player, but he's the arch-sneaksmen, narrowly sneaking in the party ahead of Annah's brassy, sexy accent on account of sheer badassness.
    4. Jaana - (Ultimas IV-VII & IX, but mainly for VII) your chief healer in Ultima VII, Jaana was weak as a kitten and had no HPs. But she could raise the dead, heal poison and generally keep you party alive. Combat was often a minigame of keeping her alive, as insurance against any accidental deaths due to "collateral damage" from poorly-aimed triple crossbows.
    5. Dak'kon (PS:T) - Eyes left! That's Dak'kon there, underneath my PDN. A kick-ass Fighter/Mage type, with a cool blade he has to keep sharp by sheer effort of will as it's made of raw karach, or chaos matter. An excellent back story, too.

Lastly, there's the question of the ultimate PC to lead the party. I'll plump for my Stalker from BGII, Johan Borusa, because there's no such thing as too much backstabbing. Sneaky sneak sneak! :D

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I'd rather see some new ones. ;)

But if you'd hear about my favourites from all games, that's Jaheira, Bastila, Mission, Carth, Bao-Dur, who else? Some characters from Neverwinter Nights 1-2 modules (especially the modules for NWN2 that I have recently played), such as Princess Evalyn from Tears of Ilmarid.

10. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Sephiroth (FFVII) - Main tank and just an awesome character with his sword.
    Edwin Odeisseron - Best NPC of the BG series
    Carl Johnson (GTA-SA) - Evil just does not do him justice, at least the way I played him
    Myron (fallout2) - Who doesn't hate his guts? But those super stimpacks sure are handy.
    HK-47 (KOTOR) - Best non human NPC ever.

How's that for an evil party:p

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Imoen (BG)
    Kreia (KotOR2)
    Morte (PS:T)
    Dak'kon (PS:T)
    Auron (FFX)

Falls-from-Grace (PS:T) and Bastila (KotOR) would be awesome too.

12. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

If taking from RPGs only:

HK-47(KotOR1/2) - If I am responsible for his programming, I wouldn't want anyone else watching my back.
    Viconia DeVir(BG1/2) - Has shown that trust is something to be respected, it may save your hide one day. But then, oneself is his best friend...
    Ivan Dolvich(JA1/DG/2) - I'd rather not have any other mercenary doing my dirty-work. As bad as they come, in a good way!
    Captain Price(CoD1/2/4) - A man, or rather three different incarnations of a man, that have successfully infiltrated Pripyat while it was infested with Russian elite troops and managed to snipe the leader of the troops AND gotten away scot-free? That's the kind of man I want supporting my ass.
    Inquisitor Mordecai Koth(DoW) - A huge warrior with a gigantic hammer used to slaying deamons AND being more than capable in psychic attacks? Yes please!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.