1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Arcanum vs Pool of Radiance

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Mirkwood, Oct 18, 2001.

1. Mirkwood Guest

[​IMG] I need a new RPG, my copy of Baldys Gate Too is just about worn out.

Which one of the above would you recommend? Or should I wait for Neverwinter Nights?

2. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I would say get Arcanum. Both games are buggy, but from what I've heard, PoR2 is more buggy. Also, from what I've heard, the plot is awful in PoR2, whereas I know the plot in Arcanum is great. Graphics in PoR2 are much better, but they implemented the d&d rules badly, so gameplay is a bit screwed up in PoR2.

Check out the PoR2 forum for what people think of that game. Personally I would recommed Arcanum, but I am biased, as I have that game, but haven't played PoR2.

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Actually, buy both. Why would you wait for NWN for god's sake? :rolleyes:

When you buy both, play both, finish both, we can make a poll here which one do you find better.

I still haven't finished PoR so I can't tell you which one made me more fun.
    But Arcanum is definetly one of best RPGs released this year!

Bugs? If you plan to buy a game without bugs, you will never by any game. Forget about bugs.
    I assure you that if you choose to buy Arcanum, there will be no such bug that will kill your initiative to finish that game (if you possess it).
    About PoR, I can't say yet, as I said above, wait my ranking when I finish it.

4. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Unless you got a lot of money, I'd recommend skipping buying either one and just wait for Neverwinter Nights.

If you really want a game though, you should ask yourself if you want a good story or a lot of hack n slash. If you want a good story, forget Pools. If you want fighting, you don't even want to touch Arcanum (The real-time combat system is far too confusing and the turn-based one sometimes screws up, not giving you a turn which means you can't end combat and are forced to quit. Nice bug.)

5. Arkados Blackmire Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

actually when the turn doesnt end what i do is press spacebar. tada! real time mode, then spacebar again, tada! back to turn based. just the chance to give the first blow thats all.

6. Extremist Gems: 31/31

I really don't know what can be confusing in real-time system. It is very logical to me. Unless you want to turn off AI?
    But why would you do that? Those are people with their own thoughts. Not user created NPCs.

7. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31

Ah, the almighty spacebar, need to test that...

The real time fighting is like a poor man's version of Diablo 2. If I want to klick-klick-klick on enemies and cast spells while trying to keep my worthless character alive, I'll go play that instead of Arcanum, thank you. (After some 'chop-chop-chop, urgh, reload, chop-chop-chop, urgh, reload' I decided to switch permanently to turn-based mode...)

'Those are people with their own thoughts.'

Who? The npcs? Umm, does charging mindlessly at you while shooting/swinging/throwing their weapons make bits of code seem like people with their own thoughts? If that is the case, then the people nowadays are severely limited in their actions. Erm... on second thought, mindless bits of code who only ever do one thing actually *seem* like real people.

8. Crawl Gems: 23/31

Jesus, man. Skip both and wait for NWN. This poor fellow won't be playing anything new for months;) As was said above, it depends what you want. PoR:2 is a simple hackfest, while Arcanum is more indepth roleplaying but can be a bit overwhelming or confusing at times without some help from others with more expereice with the game (Extremest comes to mind). Personally, I would definately not buy PoR:2 untill they patch the most common bugs at least. Arcanum isn't as buggy, and fortunately I haven't run into any yet, but it can have it's fair share slowdowns if you have to play the game in safemode. Overall, though, my vote goes to Arcanum.

9. Extremist Gems: 31/31

To Volar:

If you want click-click controlling fights - then Arcanum is definetly not a good choice for you.

For you I advise japanese-like cRPGs. This is not a joke, but my serious suggestion.
    Ever heard of Anachronox?

10. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31

You understood me a bit wrong... I was trying to explain the Arcanum real-time fighting sucks because I don't like the click-click - approach. I'm pretty uncomfortable with games where you can't pause the game to give orders or play turn-based, as I don't like to do rash decisions. The Arcanum real-time combat is just too hectic to a) survive b) attack and c) cast spells from different schools at the same time. You do it, good for you, I don't, so I complain. It's just my opinion anyway, don't take it as the absolute truth.

11. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Volar, you're asking for impossible.
    Arcanum doesn't have BG style, but Fallout style. Besides, why would they copy Bioware?

And for last, I love the Arcanum real-time combat system!

12. Sorry for butting in but I just couldn't resist...

Click-click-click Diablo-style combat?
    I'm sorry, but I thought you could change that to *click* only. But I have to admit,
    while the real-time combat is cool it's funny seeing my character swinging his sword in the air like a madman when attacking enemies, especially when you're a master melee and hasted.

Arcanum rules

13. Crawl Gems: 23/31

I certainly wouldn't call it "click-click" Diablo like. In truth, it's more BG style of point and click, just without the autopause. And a good reason to copy Bioware is because the autopause works well, like their games or not. It would be impossible to control full party combat real time without it for me. I feel the only reason the game designers did not include a pause key (hell, I'd want one just for looking through my inventory or perusing the map) is because you only can control one character, and they likely didn't feel it was needed. I personally disagree with that, but it is manageable without autopause. I just switch it to turn based combat. It moves fast enough, and is much less hectic.

14. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Volar, your dreams are answered. Arcanum is turn based combat. I take it you never played Fallout or you would have pick up on that. I agree with you. I like to move around free but take my time in combat. Thus having a combat system that pauses at the end of every action or turn (your choice) is a nice feature. No mad clicking in this game like Diablo 2.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.