1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Anybody know how to kill a Death Knight?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by suprphil, Jun 15, 2004.

1. suprphil Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm not sure which patch it is; I have totl, winter's bane, and auril installed; but I have two Death Knights in Kresselbach's tomb now that I can't f***ing kill. My party is still pretty low in level. Any inputs on their weaknesses?

2. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

They are a pain no matter what level you are. Here is the sneaky way I got around them:

Have your cleric or paladin Turn Undead and throw the spell Invisibility on them. Turn off the AI so they dont attack anyone (lantern symbol to the bottom right of your screen) then have them roam around scaring every one towards your people near the entrance. The Death Knights seems to be immune to this so they will remain at their place. Dont worry if this seems to take too long as the spell lasts for 8 hours.
    Once you have dispatched every one else in the room and the two alcoves, have your party stationed near their steps as the Knights still cant see you. Have the person with maximum HP step forward and attract his attention so they can melee.Make sure you draw the Knight towards you so that the other still remains unaware, use ranged weapons if needed. Magic is useless against them so dont bother, just make sure you lead charecter stays alive while everyone else attacks safely. Rinse and repeat for the other.

3. suprphil Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Gracias, I actually found a way myself. I took my thief in shadows and plucked every skeleton with an arrow and drew them to my party without the death knights seeing me. I then played tag, you're it with my fighter on the death knights while my party followed and filled them with arrows.

4. Woodwyrm Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

What is a Death Knight :confused:

5. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

It's a large armored nutcracker from the nine hells themselfes.
    They are very hard to kill and deal alot of damage, is quite fast, and it uses mostly two-handed swords to kill you at close range.
    So get one member in front with strong armor and strong magical weapons, or you'll be hacked to moosh.

TIP, send one member too it, and when it is about to strike, walk away from it, so the creature will follow that member, walk with that member through the room, and let your other member attack it with spells and long-range weapons, after a while it will be downed enough or even dead.
    This tactic works with all close-ranged attackers.
    But when you are encountering an powerfull foe (boss), who uses long-range weapons or spells, send a person with powerfull armor and close-ranged weapons on it, so the foe is forced too close-ranged attack, and so you can use the tactic i described above.
    With my games this tactic proved too be very usefull.

[ June 22, 2004, 21:10: Message edited by: Ancient Galatan ]

6. Woodwyrm Gems: 5/31

I mean... A DEATH KNIGHT in Kresselacs tomb? So early in the game?

Evul mod, or maybe impossible as difficulty?

7. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Maybe that only counts for Totl, because i never encountered one, neither in normal ID or HOW, os it has to do with Totl, or did you installed any other mods too?
    Small chance i think, because there are only 2 small ones.

8. GI Gems: 5/31

That's a feature from the Winter's Bane or Auril mod (I don't know exactly which one though, I installed both of them).

On the Death Knight: good luck, you will need it, the first time I went through this mod, I used the HoF experience exploit and still barely manage to kill one of them, fortunately after I killed the first Death Knight (by luring him to an ambush and use hit&run tactic, my tanks are no match for him) my mage leveled up and I learned Haste asap. Everything else was a breeze after that.

Hope this help.

(Btw my party consisted of six level 4 characters)

Edit: realized that I was just repeating what others had said (should've read before posting I know...), so I will be more detailed this time:

The Death Knight has insanely high AC, so you will need a very good roll to hit him (my non-fighter characters can only hit him with a 19-20 roll), so buff your party beforehand (preferable with Thac0-boost/reduce spell like Bless, Curse, etc)

He has high Magic Resistance (IIRC), and will likely resist your spells at least half of the time, so cast spells that ignore magic resistance, or those that really do something when hit (e.g Hold, though I don't remember if he is affected by it or not)

He has high damage and pretty good Thac0, and will rip your fighter apart in a few round (my party has 2 fighters and 1 fighter/thief and that's still not enough), so head-on charge is not a very good idea.

That's all the advices I can give now, and again, hope this help.

PS: my longest post since I registered :D

[ July 20, 2004, 02:50: Message edited by: GI ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.