1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Any Good Sci-Fi game out there?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Ofelix, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    After finishing the two KOTORs, Fallout 2 (still haven't get me hand on the first), and Star Wars Battlefront. I'd really like to buy/download a good Sci-fi game, any suggestion? I doesn't care if it's an Rpg/Action/Adventure or whatever. I own a ps2 and a PC. Oh and please no MMORPGs.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds - my favourite RTS.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri - an oldie but a goodie.

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

http://www.freeallegiance.org/ - Freeware online game (not MMO). Involves lots of tactics and strategy and whathaveyou.

There's an old DOS game called Space Rogue which you might want to look at - it was enjoyable as far as I can remember.

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Alpha Centauri and Master of Orion are older games and can be got on the cheap ($10).

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Half-Life 2 is superb. You need a fairly robust rig*, but it's a great shooter. Less scary, much more sci-fi than Doom3 (which is also very good). I've heard that F.E.A.R. is great as well, but have yet to play it.

If you like Star Wars games, give Jedi Knight II and III a try - both are great and cheap now, and certainly make for good Star Wars/Sci-fi crack.

As for RTS - I second HB's recommendation for SW: Galactic Battlegrounds - dirt ass cheap and tons of fun, especially at LAN parties. I also found Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War to be pretty fun, too.

*my current PC has an AMD 64 1.8ghz, 1.5g RAM and an nVidia 5900XT, and the game runs smooth as buttah. I should also note that when I got the game a year ago, I had an AMD Athlon XP 2.2ghz (much slower) and only a half-gig of RAM, and the game still ran smoothly. STUNNING game.

6. Incarnate Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

System Shock 2 is a great RPG if you don't mind older graphics

[ January 06, 2006, 02:10: Message edited by: Incarnate ]

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Anything Star Wars is worth getting, I think...

Elite III from Epic comes to mind...

Dune I and II and I'm being serious.

Dune 2000 if you feel like it. But Emperor: Battle for Dune inspires mixed feelings in me.

Note: Reading the Dune books (Frank Herbert's, many people don't like his son's prequels) is better than any game. And yes, I would really, really suggest books instead of games if your library is well-stocked enough. But only of good authors, otherwise games are indeed better. I could recommend you a couple of authors if you open a thread in Booktalk or PM me.

8. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

The original Half-Life is still good, though the graphics look a bit dated. But there are plenty of mods out there if you don't want to play the original game.

Another oldie is Shogo Mobile Armor Division. An FPS that I believe came before Half-Life, it's got two things going for it IMO--FPS action in and out of an anime-style mecha, and you can fire two autopistols in combat.

9. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

I have to agree with chevalier on Dune. They are simply awesome, games and books.

However, I would skip Dune 2 and go straight for Dune 2000. Dune 2 really has not anything to offer except that nostalgia feeling for some. It is outdated as an RTS and has nothing to offer really.

As for some newer games I would recommend Space Rangers and Space Rangers 2. As the website says, you get both of the games. I bought my copy from play.com and it was only about 26 € at that time (a few months ago).

10. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Dune and Dune 2 are awesome. Disliked Dune 2000, and hated Emperor.

The Alien vs Predator games are interesting (though the first looks slightly dated). The 3 races play very differently, and that makes the games quite fun.

If you don't mind something VERY old, Wasteland is an excellent RPG. The setting for Fallout was probably inspired by Wasteland (and both were made by Interplay).

It's true that finding good SF games tends to be far more difficult than finding good fantasy games, for some reason.

11. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Syndicate/Syndicate Wars if you can run them...

Great games. A bit too action oriented for my liking, but boy was it fun.

12. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    X-Com!
    Intimidating at first, but truly addictive.

13. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

X-Wing Alliance, or TIE Fighter CD Collector's Edition.

I still play the first Dune game occassionally; first game I ever finished.

14. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Among other things i liked Unreal 2
    I dunno, can Dark Chronicle be called Sci-Fi?
    Of course, Final Fantasy VII Is definately something you should play, if you haven't already, and it's surely Sci-Fi.
    Fallout Tactics was pretty good also.

15. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Don't think anyone's mentioned Deus Ex yet...

16. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

yes Deus Ex is great....just don't waste your money on the 2nd one.

17. hedron Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

x2: the threat is good, it's a space sim much like escape velocity for mac, except in 3D. You're going to need a pretty fast rig to play it in all it's graphical wonder.

18. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    Try Freelancer, it's really nice!

19. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Deus Ex (1!!)

Star Wars: Republic Commando

Fallout

Half-Life

F.E.A.R (Though it's not really sci-fi)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.