1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

(Another) question about soloing

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Fubini, Jul 19, 2001.

1. Fubini Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] I decided to go solo as a pure magic user, but am undecided as whether to play a Mage or Sorcerer. From a roleplaying standpoint, I like the Sorcerer (it makes sense that a god's offspring would have innate magic.) However, is the limited number of spells a problem when soloing?

Another general question about sorcerers: Do they get more spells per level than a mage (as the manual implies), or is their only benefit the freedom from memorization?

If anyone has experience with this sort of thing, I would welcome advice about the relative benefits and drawbacks of playing each class. (I mean beyond basic description.)

2. Silverblade Guest

Going solo with a magic user is gonna be hard, but if you do so, you should go with the sorcerer.

And they get the same number of spells as a normal mage, but you don't have to memorize your spells. You learn a number of spells automaticly when you go up levels, so you don't have to learn them from scrolls.

3. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

and six magic missiles can come in very handy! even though you won't be able to cast really high level spells IIRC, sorcerers can be pretty cool

4. Trunculo Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I'm going solo with a sorcerer right now and am having no problems and lots of fun with it. I prefer the sorcerer to the mage because I tend to pick a few favorite spells and use them frequently (as opposed to those that like to really fine tune a spell selection and rest before any major battle).

Whichever you take, make sure you have plenty of slots taken up with Project Image as soon as can you get it. This one really extends your ability to cast *lots* of spells without having to rest all the time.

I'd also recommend getting a familiar (cast from scroll, of course) as soon as you can. If it can hide in shadows (or if you cast invis in it), it makes an outstanding spotter so that you can do mean things to the bad guys while keeping your character out of harm's way. The extra hit points you get won't hurt either.

Also, for the solo magic user, I like *lots* of summoning spells. Spider Spawn works well early on and Animate Dead is great later (level 15 and better). If you have selected the level 1 Protection from Evil, you might also consider learning the level 8 Summon Fiend. You won't get any experience from his kills (at that level, with a solo magic user, you won't need many more experience points anyway so who cares?) but it's great to throw him into the middle of a bunch of nasty bad guys and watch the fireworks. He's a lifesaver (though foul-tempered).

As for limited spells being a problem - I'd say NO. If fact, I started another thread about casting 9th level spells without messing with the xp cap - you might want to check that out as well.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.