1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Another Frivolous Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Darkwolf, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Nevada Mom Sues Coors Over Son's Death

I spent half my life living in and around Reno. I thought that people in that area had more sense than this, but then I guess it only takes one bad apple... :rolleyes:

I wish I were the judge on this one...

Bailiff: "Please rise, the Honorable Judge Darkwolf is now presiding."

Judge: [no bother with telling everyone to be seated, this won’t take that long]"Miss Pisco, I understand society’s desire to bring justice to those responsible for the negligent loss of a life. However this court is disinclined to provide you a forum by which to ease your conscience for your failure to raise a responsible child. Subsequently this lawsuit is hereby dismissed with extreme prejudice, and you are ordered to pay those legal fees reasonably incurred by the defendants in addition to all court costs. In lieu of payment, said court costs shall be considered fully discharged should you, within two weeks, provide a written dissertation to the Reno Gazette for consideration, without expectation of further compensation, detailing your failures a parent that are culpable in this tragedy. As a warning, should you choose to accept this offer, any attempt to offset the blame for your child’s death shall be met with a bench warrant for your arrest on the charge of contempt of court, and you shall spend 30 consecutive days in the Washoe County Detention Facility. This court is adjourned."

I wonder how many people would reconsider their frivolous lawsuits if judges started taking a hard-line on them.

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I agree that the suit against Coors is ridiculous, and I also agree that the mother is looking for someone other than herself and her parenting skills (or lack thereof) to blame. However:
    Actually, the claim against the girlfriend IMO has some merit, since it was her car, and she presumably knew that he was drunk and unlicensed. But the claim against the mother seems silly unless she knew her daughter was going to lend the car to a drunken, unlicensed driver.

3. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I don't see how a brewing company can control who gets hold of their product. The people who directly contribute to underage drinking are the ones at fault, eg storeowners, or the people who supplied the drink at the party. Even so, nobodyseems to stop and consider the fact that maybe he knew what he was doing? He chose to drink of his own free will, so should shoulder the responsibilty for his actions. I suppose though that is impossible for a parent to accept that their dead child was at fault.
    As for the girlfriend: if she knew he was drunk, and unlicensed, yet still let him drive off in her car, then I believe she does bear some of the responsibility for the crash.

4. Sojourner Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The "kid" was 19. He drank and drove, and paid the price. Case closed, next!

5. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

This is just another lawsuit that proves that USA must look over their legal department and start kicking these idiotic people out from the courtroom with ass handed to them. This is just like the woman that sued McDonalds for making her and/or children fat(I don't recall exactly the case), I mean, it is not like McDonalds ran up to them and forced them to eat 20 BigMacs 'day.

6. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

This is just plain silly, I don't understand how the courts can take cases like this seriously. Why can't she just accept the fact that her son screwd up and he and only he is to blame. And if she is just trying to make money with the death of her son it's just plain disgusting.

7. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well if she manages to make any money out of them then fair play to her. I mean why not, if I had the opportunity to sue a company and make a lot of money, I would most certainly would.

8. Wiegraf Folles Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Maybe, but that just promotes greed, and if other people see people winning these lawsuits, they might do it too, even if they care only about the money, not how they were wronged.

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    If I got sued that way and won, I would sue the misbegotten plaintiff for loss of time and everything else possible including de facto forcing me to divert my attention from drinking. And, speaking of drinking, the cost of additional alcohol necessary to relieve me of all stress effected. Not to mention more damage to my liver :rolleyes:

No doubt, it would earn me some bucks and the pleasure of seing the smartasses jaw-dropped would be almost physical.

10. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Not in any particular order:

Last I checked, neither Coors nor any other brewery actually had a duty to protect the country's youth from anything, including drinking their products. That was up to (wait for it) . . . the bloody parents.

Now, as for the bash on the legal system, please note that this action was just filed and there are ways to dispose of them early, just as the McDonald's "I'm fat, pay me" lawsuit was dismissed.

I fully expect Coors to file a motion to dismiss (or the Nevada equivalent) and get rid of this.

As for "letting this crap get filed" or similar sentiments, I'd rather have the current completely open-door policy than have any court clerk making a decision of what content is appropriate for a judge to see. The way it is presently handled, if a party doesn't think the case has merit, the party tells the judge that by way of a motion. I sure as heck don't want any lesser gatekeeper than the judge.

Let the system do its work. Here in California, there are ways of attacking frivolous filings, but it often doesn't make monetary sense to do so. However, that is the choice of the individual defendant.

11. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

BS. Absolute BS. That's all I can say about this.

I firmly believe that anyone who gets drunk agrees, by doing so, to pay for the consequences. And while it may be sad that Rico got himself killed. That's exactly what happened: he got himself killed. His g/f may have been irresponsible in letting him take her car (if she did indeed *let* him; he very well may have just taken it without her permission), she wasn't the one who drove him into a lightpost, at 90 mph.

And blaming Coors is just ridiculous. A person would have to a complete moron to hold a company responsible for what people do with their product. If someone slips on a bar of Dove soap and breaks their arm, should they sue Dove for damages? I mean, come on. Or better yet, should the "poor, grieving" mother sue the car company for building a car that couldn't save her son?

I guess it's true what they say:

12. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Bahaha! Only in America. :p

I agree with Darkwolf on how harsh the judges should be for people wasting the court's time with stupid things. In turn she could sue her lawyer for not telling her that this is a 'very' stupid move. However I'm sure her lawyer would have said it's a stupid move but went along with it anyway since he's getting paid and she's driving on emotion.

Why doesn't she sue the state for the placement of the lamp-post and the hard materials it was made out of?

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Anyone seen that episode of "The Practice", where a nearly identical lawsuit was presented? Well, at first, the parents were offered a settlement, but it wasn't enough cash for them. Then they kept up the process, and in the end the jury awarded them with millions for their diligence... If the lawsuit succeeded there, I don't see why it couldn't in real life... Frankly, I find this gold digging while standing on a corpse of a sibling/relative disgusting. It's a mockery to be first an irresponsible parent, and then try to get money from it by blaming it on someone else. The problem is, in the US, it often works.

14. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Actually, Tal, you're example of "The Practise" is a good one. I haven't watched the show for a long time (because everything seems so ridiculous), but for those people who do watch it (or shows similar to it),perhaps the thinking is "hey, if it's on TV, then it must be legitimate, so maybe I should give it a shot". So in a way, TV might be to blame.

15. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

*Thinks* :money:

Let's sue media-companies and become rich. :evil:

(Seriously now; if she wants to spend her money to a lawyer, and get laughed out of the court, go ahead. I can't see any at least half-intelligent jury accepting this... But then: it's US. :rolleyes: )

16. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well...I figured it would be in keeping with the spirit of this thread to bring up this link.

Basically, it's just about previous cases where people hungry for a quick buck tried to get it from the American government.

Makes you think...eh?

17. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I want everyone to know, I'm filing a lawsuit against Taluntain, for making me into an alcoholic, by allowing a post about Coors to be posted, and read on his website. Furthermore, it has caused intensive emotional trauma to me, after reading that drinkers of Coors are killed in automobile accidents, which makes mothers sad. I don't want my mother to be sad.

The damages to be demanded:
    $100,000.00 (U.S., none of that crappy Yen stuff you Europeans use.), an official letter of apology, and a half-eaten granola bar (the half-eaten granola bar is to cover the cost of the lawyer, DMC are you available?).

I fully expect Sorvo to take action as well.

18. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Rergarding Sorvo....pre-existing condition. He was a drunkered before he was born. ;)

19. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You can have all my accounts, and the debt accompanying them. :D

20. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Choke - I think you might have a collection problem, and I demand the whole granola bar as my fee :)

When I finish my current arbitration, I'll look into your case, although we may also have a proximate causation issue as well.

As for Sorvo's case, I think there may be an assumption of risk problem with that one.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.