1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Anime!

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Gothmog, May 23, 2004.

1. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] I felt that if this forum has such rubbish in it as the story masacre of Troy, it must have a nice anime discussion.
    There are so many out there, they're free and legal to download, plus they're so diverse i bet anyone can find something he really likes. Some are just simply excellent, so everyone likes them :)

They're addictive as well... what else can you want?
    I'm also hoping this discussion will encourage people who havent seen any to download&watch some.

Oh, an important notice:
    Any of you who's seen Pokemon, Sailormoon, Dragonball or some such similiar rubbish, Awaken!
    I know quite some people who've been detered at first by such 5year old animes (including myself). However when you see some really decent ones, you'll quickly realise they're waaaay better than that.

話 (<--"talk")

2. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Spirited Away! (Le voyage the Cicero) Best animated movie ever! Followed by Tim Burton's nightmare before Christmas.

Both nmovies have verry intressing characters, but the story of Nightmare wasn't that good. Still it was a real nice experience.

3. Gehn Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Fianlly someone else who appreciates the superior and wonderful world of Anime! However, Dragonball IS NOT RUBBISH! If you don't like because it's not your sort of thing then fine, but do not say it's rubbish...because IT'S NOT! Dragonball was one of the sole Animes responsible for awakening the west to Anime, not to mention an animation that was waaay ahead of it's time. It's a brilliant culmination of all the formula, Japanese comedy, themes and characters that reside at the soul of all Anime. So don't knock it.

But being an Otaku myself, you're right, there are such a ridiculously diverese amount of mini-masterpieces in Anime that selection becomes a very overwhelming problem sometimes and addiction becomes unavoidable.

It would be very interesting to see who else on sp is into Anime. That means people who are actually *into* it not just: "Anime? Oh yeah i saw one of those once..." Apart from Dark Goddess, and obviously yourself Gothmog, that is to my knowledge the only people here who are into it.

4. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Velcro is slowly but surely getting me into anime but I'm far from being an otaku. I can't stand Dragonball or Yu-Gi-Oh, and I've never seen Sailor Moon and want to keep it that way. However, the ones I've enjoyed include the movies Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke and the series LastExile, Inuyasha, and Witch Hunter Robin. Vampire Hunter D wasn't bad, but I hated Akira.

:roll:

5. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Dragon Ball as anime is not completely rubbish, but it was way better as manga, same goes for akira. My favorite anime, mainly because i haven't watch much, is neon genesis evangelion. and i was amused the first time i saw sailor moon, i actually found it so funny that i got hold of the old snes rpg sailor moon, which also was quit fun.

6. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Little Snook is addicted to Dragonball Z and GT. I admit to enjoying them also.

I'm still trying to track down episodes of Bubblegum Crisis 2040. We both have been enjoying that one also.

7. Gothmog

@The great Snook
    It took a bit of a search, but i found it at last :) boxtorrents have quite a bit of rarer complete series.
    http://www.boxtorrents.com/Details/180/
    Click to topright link. To download it you'll need BitTorrent client. Easy search on that, if you dont have it already. It will take a while though, since its not spread that much.

Very well, i'll give Dragonball another chance. Starting from episode 1 this time, as i should before. Its just that i've seen this episode xx from somewhere in the middle, with nothing else than a fight + i've heard people not liking it. Though that might be the same as Harry potter attitude *shrugs*
    Best to make sure myself. Gehn, i hope i didnt upset you too much by bashing Dragonball :mommy: As i said, i'll be back with a newly formed opinion someday later. There are really very few animes i dont like, so it's not a big chance i wont like this one. It cant be anything too deep though, else i'd heard about it.

Let's start infecting SP people with the plague..khm..blessing of anime addiction! :rolling:

8. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

yup that's the problem with dragon ball as an anime, the battles are to long, it works in the mange, not the anime and many people comes to hate DBZ and the whole DB world because of that. Buy the manga it's much better then the anime. PS: Buy the DB manga, not the DBZ.

9. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Hai, yes; I know a few good movies.

Eternia 的传说- 动画是相当好的, 并且鬼魂在壳也是。Or in english: Tales of Eternia -the Animation was pretty decend, and Ghost in the Shell too. :D

Now that I can download them via BitTorrent, I should finally see some more of them. :) Recently downloaded a movie called "Interlude" and that sure was something better than 'just' overcute girls. :cool:

[ May 24, 2004, 19:05: Message edited by: Wirhe ]

10. Gehn Gems: 7/31

@ Gothmog
    Well said!

@ Equester

So the battles are too long eh? Umm, no. No they're not. You see the whole point is that the battles are *supposed* to be long...very, long. That is exactly what Droagonball and DBZ are all about; Looong battles! The whole concept of it all is that of a no-tricks, good vs evil, fantastical beings, with fantastical powers kicking some serious, fantastical butt! You love it for the epic battles, the eternal struggle. So it makes very little sense to me that people who like the Manga say that battles in the Anime are too long, because all it is doing is reproducing the escence of the Manga by doing so. Sometimes when watching it i do agree it can come across as a bit excessive. For example the Goku and Frieza battle on Namek in the Anime. But if these minor blemishes are the reasons for you not liking the Anime then quite frankly you are getting hung up on petty trivialities that are infact contradictions of the reasons one would suppose you like the whole Dragonball and DBZ stories for. I mean it's like saying "I don't like the Anime because it's what i love the manga for." Now does that make sense? I don't think it does.
    Being a big fan of both the Anime and Manga myself, I can safely say that any 'inconsistency' you see between them is a result of your own personal interpretation of the Dragonball creation, not in any way a 'fault' of the Anime's.
    But at the risk of sounding like an overbearing, quick to condemn personality, you obviously do see this in the way you do and are 100% entitle and also correct in your thinking. As matters of liking and loathing are a very subjective thing. I just felt it my duty as an Otaku to voice my opinion on the matter, is all :p

11. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, I do agree the battles are not to long in the DBZ anime. There is only one real problem that makes it seem too long, the cutting of the episodes. The way they are divided now, remembers me of simple soaps on tele, which have nothing happening in one episode at all and which you can still follow the story of when you tune in two or three weeks later.

Besides, all those people who like DBZ should really watch the original Dragonball, which is way cooler and has more variation in storyline. Besides, some things in DBZ only make sense if you saw DB.

But I'm also into anime, so that's another presence noted here.

@ Gothmog
    Please explain, since I know no legal way to download them for free.

12. Gothmog

[​IMG] It's quite common for animes to show that in the intros (which, suprisingly in majority last about 6% of the file). "This if free fansub, not for distribution or sale. Please stop distributing if it gets licensed."
    So then you have these pages, like this one. Note the lower series like Crno crusade, Full metal alchemist, Full metal panic: Fumoffu and a few others. They're not links anymore since they've been licensed = not free anymore.

AFAIK this is it.

hehe, speaking of long battles, if anyone watches Naruto (still coming out), the last battle was really streched over 10 episodes. Each episode lasts 20 minutes (without the intro&end).
    Less than DB?

13. Vyndin Source Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The only anime that I have seen are some short scenes in Kill Bill and a remixed music video with music by Rammstein and scenery from Dragonball Z....

Not that it's not enough :p

14. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

@ Gehn.

I agree with you on the point that DB is all about long battles, but a long battle in manga takes about 20min to read, which is okay with me. but to watch tv for an hour to see the same battle, well that's just not me. And i don't like DB for the battles alone, I also finds the story quit amusing. So what i don't like about the anime, is that the battles simply last to long for my taste and it is not in contradiction with what i like about the manga, since both anime and manga presents a fun and epic story.
    The kind of anime i watch doesn't usually involve hour long battles, well NGE did but it was in a different way.

15. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Has anyone seen 'Lain'? That's IMHO the best Anime I've ever seen besides 'Akira' and 'Mononoke hime'.

16. Gehn Gems: 7/31

@ Equester

That's fair enough. But the battles are not the only reason i like it, i was just simply sticking closely to topic. I geuss for me to be able to experience the battles in, and i use the term loosely, "real time," was thoroughly enjoyable for me because those battles were a large part of my enjoyment.

Fabius, i take it you mean "Serial Experiments Lain?" Indeed, that is an extremely accomplished and wonderful Anime! Princess Mononoke is one of my all time favs too.

@Rallymama

You "hated" Akira?! What?! I'm sure there is some kind of Law you're breaking there...THAT'S BLASPHEMY! Ahem.

Samurai X, Blue Gender, and the more recent Noir are also reccomends for anyone here who hasn't seen them :)

17. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

@Gehn: I'm a bit undecided about Noir. It looks somewhat cheap and I was not really able to follow the storyline. But maybe it's the german synchro...

I forgot Cowboy Beebop.

18. Gehn Gems: 7/31

So did I.

But Noir, cheap? I really can't see that. The story line is also not hard to follow at all, so it must be the German synchro. It's brilliant, and If you like Cowboy Bebop, there's no way you can't like this.

Any Anime fans in the U.S (As that is the only English speaking country I know it to be out in) seen the Ghost In The Shell T.V series yet?

19. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I've seen very little, and mostly manga. I did really enjoy the little bit of Dragonball Z I saw, and Vampire hunter was good. Film side, I enjoyed Akira, but my all time favourite is Fist of the North Star. Incidentally, I saw the live action remake of this the other day, and it confirmed to me that anime and manga should NEVER be turned into B movie live acion.

20. Gothmog

True, live action movies after animes usualy suck.
    But i've watched GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka) a week past and it was really good, eventhough it isnt an anime. :)
    It did have the feel of it though.
    It's also free and it's here .

Rallymama, it is hard not to like Akira, couse it is really good. Hmmm, what did you not like about it? (so we might find another you'll like :) )

@Gehn
    About that Samurai X... I presume you mean Rurouni Kenshin?
    It's been called like that as well, so it could be the same. Himura kenshin 10 years past the Meiji revolution, during which he was known as battosai the hitokiri, right?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.