1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

And now, for the frontal scare-tactic assault

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Taluntain, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Pretty much says it all.

Bush suggested his Democratic rival "does not understand the enemy we face and has no idea how to keep America secure." His campaign reinforced that theme with a new television ad with chilling imagery of prowling wolves in a dense forest. "Weakness attracts those who are waiting to do America harm," an announcer says.

Just when you thought the Republicans couldn't stoop any lower, they pump out even viler propaganda...

Check this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda#Techniques_of_propaganda_generation

The Bush camp has obviously been doing their homework, because their campaign is using pretty much every trick in the propaganda book. God help America...

2. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

If this man gets re-elected, there will nothing that can help America, plain and simple.

Let's all hope that doesn't happen.

3. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

That's really not so bad when considered what kind of propaganda has been used in some of the earlier campaigns for American presidency. I read an article somewhere about a campaign where the other candidate actually scared people with the possibility of a nuclear war if his opponent was chosen. I can't remember which election this was but it natuarlly must have been something during the cold war somewhere between Trueman and Raegan.

I'm sure they'd use the same methods in Europe too if it only was possible. Now they're just forced to settle with scaring us with high unemployment rates. :D

[ October 24, 2004, 02:12: Message edited by: Morgoroth ]

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
  5. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Let's hope this BS tactic doesn't work as well in the US as it did in Australia. What galls me is that not only did it work here, it worked TWICE - in 2001 and now in 2004. This is just a defensive rearguard policy - it's not leadership, it's not statesmanship, it's just visceral, emotive rubbish.

I've long held the belief that most people are either ignorant, uninterested, or stupid, with Australians and Americans probably rating at or near the top. Please, prove me wrong about at least one of these.

...because nobody else will. I think they have a very different view on what attracts people who want to do America harm than many of us.

6. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Yes, I agree we're in for a very rough ride if Bush is re-elected. He has the agenda of a fanatic and the mentality of a gunslinger. Even Pat Robertson, the Fundamentalist TV evangelist--very big audience--admitted this week that he was frightened by Bush's "total self assurance". But Bush has the Evangelicals pretty well roped in with his stands on abortion, school prayer, and stem-cell research, even as he ships their jobs overseas and cancels their healthcare.

7. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

@Spellbound: Well there IS nothing that can help Australia.

If Kerry wins I will publicly announce that Americans are more intelligent than we Australians (on average).

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Yes, the Bush campaign is basically, "If you vote for Kerry you will die!"

Here's one thing that I don't understand. They filmed wolves in a dense forest. And it seems that it was a real forest. Given Bush's environmental policies of the past four years, I was unaware that the U.S. still HAD any forests.

9. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    i love how bush says kerry doesnt understand the enemy after the understanding bush has shown.

10. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Oh but that was ofcourse filmed in Canada to symbolize the huge terrorist threat America will be facing in the future from Canada! Watch out America, Splunge will strike you when you least expect! :shake:

11. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Again the poor wolves get the bad rap. Anyone who falls for that one deserves what he/she gets. Unfortunately the rest of us will go with them.

We still have forests but you'd look a long time before finding wolves. Morgoroth is probably right about where the film came from. Awaiting Canada eagerly. Maybe I can get my prescription at a reasonable price.

12. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I wonder why no Bushists are commenting on this, it's been up for 3 days now so they HAVE to seen it.

13. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm going against my grain by replying, but what the hell I'm in the mood.

I believe I covered this in a different thread. Everything that Bush is being accused of in this thread the Kerry campaign is doing the same but different. In politics there are three types of people. Rabid right, Rabid left, and the middle. The rabid left (a large population here at SP) obviously considers Bush the personification of evil. There is nothing that a rabid right or a middle grounder could say to sway them. Lord knows people have tried. It is a major weakness in politics that the rabids can only see their point of view. Trust me for every negative link or thought about Bush posted here a "Bushist" could post a corresponding one about Kerry. However, I don't have the time, energy, or inclination to do so.

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Off topic here, but I can't resist. For both forests and wolves, all you have to do is look to Wyoming and Yellowstone National Park.

And Aldeth, coming from Maryland, I'm surprised you'd say something like that. Step off the beaten path in Maryland and you're in the trees. ;)

15. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Heck, I'm in Tarzana BTA, just a little north of you, and I can reach a forest in less than half an hour (not in traffic time, of course).

TGS - agreed, the rabid of each side can't see through their biases to the opposite shore. Those of us in the middle are stuck with a barrage of nonsense from both sides trying to sway us for their side (actually, it's more like against the other side). The real problem I have with this is very similar to what Jon Stewart told those schmucks on Crossfire -- they are doing everyone a disservice by failing to promote rational discourse.

As in just about everything in life, everything in moderation is a fine mantra. Both Republicans and Democrats have good points and bad ones. I'm sure that Bush has strengths and I know Kerry has weaknesses. To me, we need to restore some of the waning authority in our legislature, and the best way to do that is make sure that the President isn't a Republican, because I don't see the Democrates taking over Congress.

That won't solve the basic polarization issue, but, then again, not much has and people have been polarized in this country since its founding. There was just no internet, am talk radio and/or television to ram it home quite so ardently.

16. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    There are always promises of a more civil tone in government and political atmosphere after an election. Here is a comparision of two of the most bitter: One the most recently completed (2000), and one closer to the beginning (1800). This is Bush in 2000:

We all know how this turned out. Partisan politics turned out to be the order of the day. Many feel that this has been the worst political season they have seen in their lifetimes. And they may be right. It is without a doubt the worst I have ever seen.

Jefferson remains an American touchstone. Bush alluded to him in his address as does many others these days. This is still from Bush's first address as prez:

But Jefferson has his share of detractors as well these days. He gets very rough treatment in a new volume on Hamilton, written by Ron Chernow. My point is that Chernow could not take Hamilton's side without attacking Jefferson, as if he were reliving for himself the old politial rivalry.

Jefferson's first inaugural address is a masterpiece; Bush's pales in comparision. This is Jefferson:

After Jefferson became prez, his Republican party completely overwhelmed the Federalists, with Jefferson, Madison and Monroe as presidents. But partisan politics still continued. But what Bush left out of his first inaugural address are the Jeffersonian themes to which he alluded. Jefferson did list them in his address:

IMO, when a leader lays out what he wants to achieve in a concise way, one which people can clearly understand, and there is a real attempt to follow through on the stated princples, successful leadership is a real possibility. Who could argue with Jefferson's list? The Federalists tried and became all but extinct in the process.

I remember the first moments of the Bush administration - there was a bit of optimism that the nation could unite in some way. And that there would be an agenda that many could agree upon, at least in principle. Bush even invited Ted Kennedy over for a movie. It lasted about a month and then went steadily downhill.

My point is that the partisanship is more than just rhetoric. It is also a matter of policy. Look at Bush's big issues, besides the war on terror and tax cuts: gay marriage, stem cell research, abortion. And of course we have to have democracy in Iraq.

These are issues that divide America. They are sometimes called "wedge issues." The idea is to divide and inflame both sides for political gain. This is what we have now. Principled people can no longer disagree. If one does, then he or she is the "spawn of Satan" for doing so. It really is much more than about left vs right. It should be that simple.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.