1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

And another shooting.

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Nakia, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    The problem with covering this stuff in the news is that it might provoke other people with similar thoughts to follow suit. It's a bad week for the pro-gun-ownership lobby in America.

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Barmy,
    no, it's a good week. Had the people on the bus been armed they could have shot the assaulter. If anything all the cases prove the need for more guns on the streets.

4. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

My condolences.

5. Ragusa

Media:
  6. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

People, there should be at least a 1-day period before arguments for and against gun control are brought up in such threads. I really don't think it shows good taste.

Trellheim likes this.
  7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    The problem is not guns. The problem is not even the number of people who have access to guns. The problem is the number of crazy people who have access to guns.

I'm not sure how arming the rest of the population will help either. If these people are mentally unstable (and it appears they are), then I doubt they are going to follow a logical, reasoned approach to the situation. If you're f'ing crazy, it may not bother you at all that there are other armed people. From what we've seen of most of these shootings, the perpetrator assumed that he would be killed in the process, so a more heavily armed populace would not be an effective deterent to carrying out the attacks.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Allow me to extrapolate.

The problem is not the number of crazy people who have access to guns. The problem is the fact that crazy people in the US have easy access to guns.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    :confused: Well, given that the three incidents this week all took place in the US, I assumed the "in the US" part was a given. I assumed that the Las Vegas being referenced in the article was the one in Nevada, which last I checked was part of the US.

10. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

teenage boys with hormones raging fighting over a girl. i can remember fighting over girls in school but never with weapons.

11. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    @Aldeth: I think what Tal was getting at was that the problem isn't the number of crazy people with access to guns, but with the fact that crazy people have access to guns at all...and the ease with which the aforementioned crazies can access them.

12. martaug Gems: 23/31

ummm, drew, how do you tell the crazy people from the sane ones if they havent been commited?

13. Barmy Army

Media:
    Exactly. Martaug, I believe you're slowly coming round to the correct view point... ;)

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Newsflash: not every mental illness or disorder means automatic committal, but more often than not they are recorded.

15. martaug Gems: 23/31

so barmy to you the correct point of view is to punish everybody for a thing that a few might do? (yeah, i saw the smiley however with you i never know!!)

16. Ragusa

Media:
    martaug,
    is not giving a weapon to you punishment? *ominous theatrical music* Interesting. */ominous theatrical music*

17. Barmy Army

Media:
    As Ragusa said, it's hardly a form of punishment to make firearms less widely available.

Besides, even if your mindset says it is, I'm sure you know that the actions of a few often mean repercussions for everybody.

18. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I find the idea of everyone carrying guns very, very scary. It would only create more violence. Wild, wild west here we come.

Assault weapons and hand guns are not necessary to the general population. I do not believe in a blanket prohibition of guns but it should be limited and strong, enforced laws in place. They may not stop the hard-core criminals from getting them but I really would prefer that my neighbor didn't have a gun unless there is some valid reason. IE: Law enforcement agent, security guard, jeweler.

19. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    I realize that this is :yot: but I couldn't resist the bait.

Actually according to the Constitution they are. The Second Amemdement is about far more than being able to defend yourself from criminals or hunting game. The entire premise behind the amendement is that a government fears an armed populace and is less likely to become tyrannical. The entire Second Amendment is a check on the power of the government. When the amendment was written, the arms available to both the government and the citizenry were the same; they were muzzle loading rifles and muskets. There was no technology gap and, should armed resistance have become necessary, the citizenry had a reasonable chance against the powers that be.

Now fast forward to today. There have been many laws enacted over the years restricting the types of weapons available to the citizenry. As a result, the gap between the military and the citizenry is huge. Assault rifles versus bolt-action hunting rifles, shotguns and handguns. Hardly a parity of arms as these arms are vastly inferior to the arms used by the government. With every law passed restricting gun ownership, the gap widens and the Second Amendment becomes weaker and weaker. By extension, the citizenry becomes weaker in relation to government. When the Federal Government has a monopoly of force, then we cease to be truly free. At this point our liberty only exists at the whim of those in power since we have no effective method of resisting them should they decide to, say, suspend our First Amendment rights or declare martial law. With all the harping about George Bush's actions lately this should be painfully obvious to everyone. So the question is this: Do you trust the government implicitly or not? If so then go ahead and support gun control. If not then gun control in any form should be looked upon with extreme suspicion.

Guns only become a problem becuase of other issues. Guns are tools and can be used for good or evil. The problem is that there are too many bad folks who have no compuntion about using them evilly. As martaug mentioned in one of these threads, guns are used to foil thousands of crimes every year, usually without having to be discharged. That's not interesting news, though. Only the misuse of guns is newsworthy. The media hype about these mass shootings (and many other things for that matter) result in an increase in their occurrence. These nut jobs see it as a way to be famous. The freak in Omaha even said that he would be famous. Without the media saturation then that incentive isn't there and he probably just kills himself. In this case, it seems to be another loser who doesn't know right from wrong...or just doesn't care.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well, it's not the ENTIRE premise. We didn't exactly have a huge standing federal army at the time the Constitution was written. Local militias were absolutely necessary for defense of the country. While I agree that it can be looked upon as a check on the government, the 2nd Amendment also served a far more practical issue. I will concede that currently the need for local militias is far less than what it was a couple hundred years ago.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.