1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ancient memories

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by BogiTheWaverer, Mar 9, 2001.

1. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Just found an old cartridge and remembered:
    The first e-D&D game i played was 'Warriors of the eternal sun' on the Sega Megadrive.
    Cool stuff about 8 or 9 Years ago. *g* Anyone around who played it too?

2. Seric Exz Guest

[​IMG] Hm... I vaguely remember playing some other D&D-esque kind of game on my 286 sometime in the pre-90s... (Am I getting old? ;) ) I remember being amazed in a I-cannot-believe-that-this-ascii-character-is-actually-*blinking* sort of way :D

Never even knew what a Sega was, though...

[This message has been edited by Seric Exz (edited March 09, 2001).]

3. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I played that. It was so sickeningly frustrating that I gave up after my Level 4 party which I took 4 days to build got wiped out by a band of goblins.

4. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31

[​IMG] Shura you're right it took many days to get a compareble party. But you missed the hardest thing: an Aztec-pyramid to go in and out with five levels in 1st person mode - no resting, no saving and on the 5th level 4 mages. I wonder how my TV-Set survived my frustrated behavior. ;)

5. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Anyone else play "Hack" or "NetHack" back in the late 80's?

We had it at Uni on the Unix servers there.

Not exactly D&D, but excellent fun hack and slash adventuring.

6. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Don't feel old about playing on your 286 for I was playing on my Apple. around 1980. What does it say about us that we were all inthrolled by such simply games. I admit they were lots of fun, with little or no graphics, only a beep or two for sounds, but for some reason we loved them. I guess becase that was all that existed at the time, and for it's time it was cool. I'm glad that over 20 later we have all the great games of this day and age.

7. Seric Exz Guest

I have to admit that a "Feel the BACKHAND of JUSTICE!!" shout from Minsc (and Boo) is a little more rewarding than hearing a "bleep" and seeing a simple text message that you have (regrettably?) been brutalized by some Nameless Vicious Beast... :)

Ahh - I feel young again... :)
    (*runs off to fight windmills*)

[This message has been edited by Seric Exz (edited March 09, 2001).]

8. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] ah yes, the days of yore, when graphics sucked, and I was playing my computer foe the first time. what joy i felt when my characters went up a level and were immediately slaughtered afterward ;)

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] You know, I know a bunch of people who still play Hack and NetHack like maniacs all the time...
    Make a search for it in Yahoo or somewhere similar, and you'll see what I mean.

Erm... Talking about ancient memories Zork comes to mind. :D

(damn, can't make any ASCII art here since it all gets turned to html)

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited March 09, 2001).]

10. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31

[​IMG] speaking of zork - is there somebody who knows where to get return to zork (legal or semi-legal ;) )

11. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Yeah... See that big Amazon.com banner at the top of the page? Click on it, and... Voila! Search for Return to Zork, and there you go!! Sorcerer's Place will thank you for your contribution to the coffers. :D

12. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31

Thank you very, very much, but there's a "not available now" since Amazon exists.

13. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] Sorry, my bad... My search automatically browsed thought "zshops", whatever that is. It's through Amazon, but involves other merchants. Try that, since I did find some available. I'll send you a link if you can't find it... :)

14. Voltric Gems: 19/31

15. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31

Hmmm... Can you tell I've got way to much spare time?

Actually Zshop led me to new games available by different merchants, although it also listed some used games. Starvector.com has new games in stock.

[This message has been edited by Darien Noella (edited March 12, 2001).]

16. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31

[​IMG] thanks for your efforts

17. Viking Gems: 19/31

Bogi,

I think I have a copy of RTZ (Original before Taluntain gets all carried away again :)) at home. I'll try to remember to check tonight.

Where are you based?

Mail me at viking@freegratis.net

Cheers

Vike

18. Vandalore Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Anybody remember any other ancient TSR games?

like Cyber Empires? Oh man that was one of my all time favorite games forever. I believe I ran that on my 286. A pretty upscale game for the system at the time. I'm guessing it was more like the mech type of Warhammer. You controlled different mechs such as Behemoths, Titans, Dragons, Mercurys, n such. While you were piloting one of mechs, the computer would pilot the rest of them to aid you until your mech was destroyed. Once destroyed you would immediately be transported to another one of the mechs that the computer was controlling, otherwise you could Tab or cycle through your mechs at will. Probably the coolest part of the game was invading your friend's fortress. After you got past the automated guns, you had to either blast through the walls or find one of the entraces which were guarded by mechs controlled by your friend inside the walls. Once inside you had to knock out power generators or other resources enough to disable the fortress. Oh yeah, you only needed one computer.. remember the days where you and your friend each shared the same keyboard playing at once? Gawd dammit, scoot over.. you made me die. :)

19. Seric Exz Guest

How about Ancient Domains of Mystery? No, wait - that's not TSR... Ah, well... it was entertaining at least. That damned addictive game almost cost me my degree.

I hear there's a Java version on the way! <homer>Woohoo!</homer> :D

20. Duskai Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

there are a lot of old games at:
    www.theunderdogs.org

including zork 1,2 & 3...for free
    also has links to similar sites

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.