1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

An interesting mod for level lovers!!

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Seayer, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Seayer

Seayer In giving to another, you benefit yourself Distinguished Member Veteran

I found an interesting combination of downloads for Icewind Dale levels! I first tried putting the BG2 level 50 patch in the IWD overrides, and this added 50th level to single class characters(I did not try to dual-class human characters at this point), Fighter/Mage/Thief and Fighter/Mage/Cleric classes had 34-50th level in their classes.

I then added the IWD_XP cap remover, which I dual-classed a character at 49/50th levels(used Dalekeeper to level up), and FMT and FMC both leveled up to 50th level in all classes. Cleric and Mage spell slots were all added as level went up, along with hit points, THAC0, and saving throws.

So far, I have not found anything that will mess up any part of the game, but I have not finished it with this modification yet either. The only possible negitive is after you reach the maximum(game xp cap), you will only see 'Godhood' in the 'Next Level' slot.

If anyone brave enough to try it as well and finds any problem, please post it or PM me!

Thanks.

2. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Cool! :)

Does it work for Icewind Dale 2 too?

3. Seayer

As far as I know I really doubt it, to many differences, but I haven't tried it either. If(although I wouldn't try it myself) you try it and it works, let me know!

Also, if it helps you any, I have a post on IWD2's forum on levels as well:

Is Icewind Dale II life over at level 30?

4. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Doesn't it get a bit pointless having characters of those levels? Sure it's nice having 300 HP and whacking enemies for 50 HP a time but is there any challenge left in the game?

5. Seayer

[​IMG] I find this a very interesting question myself. :thumb:

For me, most definately there is still a challenge. As long as I can continue moving up in levels, skills, and become more powerful, I don't lose interest in the game. I have beaten Icewind Dale more times than I can count off-hand, by normal game means, editing/cheating, adding mods, etc.... :bang:

So for me, and I am sure there are others like me, this kind of thing brings more reason to replay the game. :cool:

Also, the levels are useful for helping to exterminate enemy creatures and repel/nullify effects of other 'dangers' in the game, but ability scores, bonuses, and sheer luck, not to mention skill in the game, play a major role as well, and only on critical hits have I done 50+ damage in one hit(unless I had found a devistatingly powerful weapon, and had 5 weapon proficiency points with it). ;)

No matter how powerful the character, poison, disease, and losing 1-4 hitpoints per round to 10+ enemy creatures can and will test your gaming ability, and you could have a protagonist that could utterly destroy 15 Poison Zombies in 3 rounds without a scratch, but if your character is poisoned, your cleric has no more healing spells or remove/slow poison spells, and you are at 100 hp, and your character is diseased(the constantly lose hp disease)with no mummy's tea and way far from anywhere to get healed & cured, along with exhausted from all the whooping enemy backside, then even the smallest battle could render your 'high level character' vulnerable. :eek:

Hopefully this answers your question dshadow?? :hmm:

Thanks for your response!! :D

6. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yeah, I've played through it at level 50 one time. But I didn't really notice all that much difference, and I vaguely remember having a tiny little bit of trouble with it. I think it may have been that my characters were overloaded with spells, and I couldn't cast a single thing. The entire book was greyed out, even when my characters took off all their armour and weapons.

It might have been some other kind of bug or something. I might give it a twirl again, next time I'm roaming though the Icewind. I can see where someone would appreciate a level 50 character if they weren't using a killsword...

7. Seayer

ejsmith,

The F/M/T and F/M/C that I used as test characters had no problem with memorizing/praying for spells or casting(I ran them around casting a few spells I normally use in the game, fighting creatures, etc....).

I am still playing with the game though, and if something wierd happens, I will most definately post it here as soon as I realize it.

Updates:

1) I found that, unfortunately, max# of attacks are 3 1/2. :(
    2) Starting at level 30, all you'll see on experience is: 'Next Level: Godhood', but your character will still level up to 50th level, and you still see current XP acquired.
    3) I am not sure if it just my cpu, or if it has anything to do with the mod, but I have seen a small area temporarily black out in the minimap when you go to map screen, and click on an area you want characters to go.

[ August 29, 2003, 15:24: Message edited by: Seayer ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.