1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

An essay done in 25 minutes

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Shura, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] This is a essay that is part of my application for a honors programme in the National University of Singapore. I thought, what the hell, and put it up here for you folks to read.

A small glimpse into my personal life...not as if anyone is really interested. :(

I was weary and disillusioned with everything. Bitterness was my constant companion and I held the state of humanity in very low regard indeed. There was nothing to look forward to, for my enlistment into Singapore’s system of enforced National service was a mere four months away. I could not endeavor to further my studies in the university until I had fulfilled my obligation to my country and thus, I sought to while the time away.

An advertisement in the local newspaper caught my eye during one of my uneventful days. An institute in the western part of Singapore known as Care Corner required the services of a part-time teacher. I shrugged and clipped out the advertisement. Despite my nihilism, I still held a small spark of hope for existence in general and sought to better it by contributing in whatever way I could to education, a fact that has only revealed itself to me upon recent reflection.

Care Corner’s director, a woman with a brisk and professional tone, answered my call of enquiry. I told her of my intent and she bade me to turn up later in the day for an interview. I was rather surprised at her alacrity in moving matters on and agreed, for there was nothing of consequence on my schedule.

Ms Ho, Care Corner’s director, was in her early thirties and she greeted my arrival, ushering me into her office. Children capered about everywhere, engrossed in their whims and respective activities, academical or recreational. The interview was conducted swiftly. When questioned about my decision to involve myself in the affairs of Care Corner, I answered her truthfully, for I was never one to speak falsely or use half-truths, unlike many of my peers.

I was bored and sought something to occupy my empty and hollow days. Her testimonial at the end of my service might prove useful in the future and I wanted to hone my proficiency in the imparting of knowledge. I offered nothing more, nothing less. There was no drivel on wishing to contribute to charity nor did I express any wish to better the lot of Care Corner’s children. My motives were cold and calculating, but they were professional. Ms Ho accepted that and told me to report for work the next day.

Care Corner was a daycare center for families with tight budgets and the majority of the children within come from less affluent families. Some hail from broken families while others have lost their parents. Few of them belong to families from the upper crust of Singaporean society.

I lost myself in my work, tracking closely the academic progress of my students and monitoring their work. My initial approach was one of cool professionalism as I thought that my role was strictly that of a tutor. I was soon proven wrong, however. The children’s affairs soon began to draw me in as well. Soon, ‘Mr. Law’, as they addressed me, became their caretaker, babysitter and reluctant confidant as well. They would ramble on about issues that troubled them and lacking any suitable response and the energy to tell them off, I listened in silence. They would then thank me for my ‘advice’ and amble off while I hoped they would not attribute any trouble they got themselves into to my counsel.

The constant laughter and exuberant energy of the children had an effect on me as well. Before long, I found that I had become more animated and my concept of humor broadened beyond the scope of cruel and cynical jabs at an individual or organization’s failings. I dissuaded the older boys from joining the neighborhood gangs fervently and I had sharp words with a single mother whose daughter showed up daily at Care Corner with fresh bruises and scratches on her arms and legs. When a regional bully decided to harass the children and staff of Care Corner, I talked him down. A self-centered and egoistic individual, I had no regard for anyone who would not further my cause or gratify my desires. That changed during my stint as a part time teacher. In Care Corner, so aptly named, I learned to care for others, even if only to a small extent.

My contract ended soon enough as my enlistment approached and I left. The recent years have worn down my spirit and hardened my heart, but its gift of empathy will remain, I suspect, to my dying day.

Law Yihua,

a.k.a Shura on SP

2. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

The essays pretty good, it reminds me of the time I wrote an essay on the American Civil War in five minutes and still got a 100% on it.

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Hmm, I'm trying to imagine the character Shura doing this, a rather interesting exercise...

4. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

You're from or going to Singapore? I live there!

5. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Who would have thought that our Shura had a soul that could be called by children? Nice to know that you're human after all, my friend! :)

6. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] I live in Singapore.

And Rally, that was a looong time ago. One's humanity can decay, and crumble with time, as I know only so well.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.