1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

American McGee: Genius or Anus?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Death Rabbit, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm a pretty frequent game shopper. A serial-browser, really. Whenever I stop into a computer/electronics/sex shop, I always browse the latest titles of computer games. Rarely does the creative genius behind the game have his name in the marquee of the title, but you do see it. Kind of along the lines of "Stephen Spielburg's Jurassic Park," kind of thing. There are two names in the gaming world that also tend to brand this cache: Sid Meier, and American McGee.

Now Sid Meier I get. The man has been making computer games (damn good ones) pretty much since computer games were born. Having his name attached to a game will certainly make fans of his work much more likely to buy the game. Even his latest "Pirates" - which I heard was downright mediocre - sold very well.

Then we have American McGee. He's fairly young, he's only been in the game [industry] for about 6 years or so, and hasn't exactly turned the gaming world on its ear. Yes, "Alice" was a very well done game with very gothic, inventive art direction and concept (despite being incompatible with anything newer than Windows 98). Another big project of his, "Daikatana" was a legendary failure. So then I see his new title, "Scrapland," and I'm actually less inclined to buy the game because it says "American McGee's SCRAPLAND." It says to me "Great, more pretentious sh*t from a self-important game designer." I wouldn't be surprised if I wasn't alone.

You don't see "John Romero's Quake 4" or Carmak's "Doom3," etc., and those two could certainly garner the marquee ego treatment. So what makes McGee think he's so damn cool? Just having a goofy-ass name isn't enough to inspire such self-importance, last time I checked (yes, Bijou Phillips, I'm talking to you).

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Well, perhaps they think that having his name there will have some benefit for the same reason as in the case of Sid Meyer or, for example; Coca Cola. :D

Have to agree about his games though; most of them have a good idea behind them, but lack in execution. Loved the atmosphere in Alice and Scrapland certainly had an interesting idea in it, but -sadly- they simply haven't thought out all the features. So what does "American McGee" say to me? Creative ideas, but hasty build. My bet is that they don't have enough money/patience to do it properly.

...Which, in turn, makes me wonder why they haven't just given up 3D and moved to 2D. Would save money and detailed 2D adventures can still sell real big. :hmm:

3. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Hehe. If you look closely, you'll notice it says "American McGee presents Scrapland". The difference? He only produced the damn thing, he wasn't directly involved in the development, which makes the whole thing a bit more irritating.

On a related note, M. Night Shyamalan needs to stop putting his name on films.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Putting a name as patriotic as that on the box is sure to attract the attention and potentially sales of quite a number of Americans, I imagine. It's all about money, you know...

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Er - i was under the impression that Daikatana was John Romero's failure - unless American McGee was involved too. However, I've always been under the impression that it was Romero who was at the head of Ion Storm and rammed it so gloriously into the ground.

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You could be right about that, Aik. I may have confused my McGee with my Romero with regards to Daikatana, but I seem to remember it being McGee. Hmm. Not sure now...

@ Tal

I don't think patriotism has anything to do with it. The way it's worded, "American McGee" sounds like a proper name (either for a studio or a person) and most Americans would recognize it as such; and besides, using outside influence like that (using patriotism to sell a crappy game) is pretty transparant, and most gamers can see through that. If you can't sell the game on it's own merits, it isn't worth your time or money. If just having the word "American" on the box influences any of us Yanks to buy the game, I'm sure it's an infinitely small number. There are plenty "Medal of Honor" type games for that crowd, anyway.

I doubt you'd be any more inclined to buy a game made by "Slovenia McGoo," would you? ;)

[ November 15, 2005, 14:39: Message edited by: Death Rabbit ]

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    No, Daikatana was Romero's pet project which tanked.

American McGee is his real name, and it's curious enough to attract attention. I've certainly never heard of any other American whose first name was, in fact, American. Or is American a common name in the U.S. that for some reason people outside the U.S. never hear?

As for how most gamers can see through marketing stunts; yea, right. There are tons of crappy games which have sold remarkably well simply because of good marketing or their name. The smart & informed customer in the gaming business is often in the minority. And even such people get tricked into trying a game that's plain bad now and then.

As for the situation here... well, a box with Slovenia McGoo on it would definitely draw attention. I know I'd certainly pick it up and at least look it over. And that's the point of marketing. However, considering we have some limitations on what you can name yourself here (your own country isn't an option), and the fact that patriotism as such doesn't really exist here, talking about imaginary situations doesn't make much sense.

The sheer fact that we're here discussing this man in a thread you've created practically proves what I'm talking about. It's not about good games, or bad games. It's about publicity (of any kind), which is good by default.

8. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Right, but what I'm saying is if were his first game ever, I could see branding it "American McGee's Crapola" would be a feeble attempt at getting people to stop at look at this unusual name, and thus, pick up the box. But I don't think the branding has anything to do with attracting attention due to the word "American." I still would have started this thread if his name were "Bob McGee" instead. The point I was trying to make is that I think you overestimate American nationalism when it comes to goods marketed towards young people (the major gamer demographic). People here aren't any more likely to buy a game because it says "made in the USA" or whatever on it, at least people of the average gamer's age. They usually don't give a rat's ass. The older generations are perhaps a different story, but still - a percentage of the market that's marginal at best.

The point I'm getting at with this thread is I don't think American McGee is all that impressive, certainly not enough so to warrant the pretentious "M. Night Shyamalan" treatment on the games he makes. But I also started this thread to see if I'm wrong about him, as maybe he has this huge cult following I'm not aware of that would warrant it.

And no, "American" is not a common name for Americans at all. :shake:

9. Taluntain

Media:
    I've never said that anyone will buy the game just because of the name. Only that there's a larger chance of this happening if more people actually look at the box instead of skipping over it along with 50 other titles. In this case, the name would be just a small contributing factor to a few more sales. But in the long run it also helps with brand name recognition, and that's another holy grail of marketing. And it works.

Btw, young people aren't really the major gaming demographic in the U.S. According to the researches I've read, it's spread out pretty evenly all the way up to 40 years of age. So the older gamers are not a marginal group at all. There are types of games that attract a younger audience, but that's about it. Overall, there are even more gamers in the area of 30-40 years of age than in any other years IIRC.

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Are you suggesting that, at 45, I wouldn't be classified as a "young gamer"?

Nakia might disagree.

:p

Anywho, calling a game "American McGee's such-and-such" is just as pretentious as calling it "Tom Clancy's so-and-so". And no, I have no idea what my point is. :xx:

11. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Neither do we. Ever. :p :wave:

12. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Hear, Hear!
    Aparently American is not a frequent name at all.
    From American himself:
    "Yes my mother named me that. She claimed a woman she knew in college who named her daughter 'America', inspired the name. .... She was and always has been a very eccentric and creative person"

He did work with John Carmack at id for a while, working on games such as Doom 1 & 2 and Quake 1&2. The interview (printed in the December issue of PC Powerplay) did not mention Daikana, but he would have presumably worked on it to some extent.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.