1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

AMD CPU + Nvidia Card Upgrade

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Taluntain, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] It's time for me to upgrade a bit and the one thing that I'm not really sure of is what to get in the CPU/graphics department, so I'd like to get some suggestions.

My motherboard is a MSI K9N NEO-F MS-7260 V1.X (AM2 socket), so the only option is AMD. Here's the list of supported CPUs.

For graphics, I want an Nvidia card, something good enough to handle the latest games today and at least for a while longer.

Please post your suggestions!

(Oh, and if anyone has any nice benchmark comparisons of the CPUs and Nvidia graphics cards, it'd be handy.)

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ask, and the Pink Dragon shall receive...
    CPU Charts
    Graphics Charts

I'd choose the 3DMark tests for a better idea of the total performance. :thumb:

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Just what I was looking for, thanks! What's surprising is how little difference extra 512MB of RAM on a graphics card apparently makes... what's the deal with that?

For example here: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/...1-1-0-3DMark-Score,Marque_fbrandx876,794.html

8800GT with 512MB and 1024MB have nearly identical results...

After a bit of research, it appears that the 8800GT with 512MB is still the best value for the money among the Nvidia cards, by far... anyone know otherwise? This seems very odd because I know that 8800GT was a favourite a whole year ago and it's practically unheard of for the same card to stay on top for a whole year...

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  4. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Cards with more RAM perform better on higher resolutions.

5. Taluntain

Media:
    Higher as in higher than 1280x1024 or 1680x1050? I guess that'd make sense, the tests are probably focused on the "standard" resolutions.

6. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

How good is your power? 500w 80plus or cheap-o brand 400w?

Anyway, the new 9800GT budget cards are cheap and powerful.

Also, CPU wise, the Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 65w is maybe not the optimal solution but one my brother has had running for a good while now with absolutely no problems.

7. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The GT is the best 8800 whit price performance ratio. hard to find, I guess the 9800 will be your card. There is one issue about those cards. Some are made whit 55 nm technologie, and some older whit 65. The 55 performs better using less power and getting less hot, but how to tell which one is which? Be carefull.

8. Taluntain

Media:
    Taza, good question... I've got a 430W one, no big name brand. Wonder if that'll be enough? Probably not... :bad:

I've looked at 9800GT too, but performance-wise it doesn't seem like it's any different from 8800GT... I've even seen tests where 8800 came on top of it, so I've got mixed feelings about it. I'll check how the prices for both stand here.

For the CPU, I'm looking at Athlon 64 X2 6000+... I think this is the maximum that my motherboard supports.

Edit: The equivalent pre-OC'd 9800 would cost me 25€ more... not worth it, IMO.

Here's the 8800GT I'll probably get: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2196

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  9. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Tal, I'm no expert on current hardware trends, but if you want a new-ish graphic card you'll most probably need more than 430W. I think 500W is the lowest to aim for with a dual core and the 8800GT, especially if you have extra stuff in there (multiple hard drives and optical drives, etc)

10. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Tal - Using a game engine like the one in F3, (which I've heard is really a reworked version of the Oblivion engine) the nVidia cards appear to be a good choice, like you suggest.

I've always been partial to EVGA cards, since they have very good service and support. I've called them in the past, and have had good response.

Maybe something like this one, which seems to rate pretty high, and it has 1GB, in case you use the higher res and one of the reviewers commented that it runs on 400 watts of power, which seems to be a good choice:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130391

You can look at the individual results here with F3:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/fallout_3_mainstream_gpu_performance/

11. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The 8800 generation is mixed up. Nvidia called the succesor of the 8800, 8800 and later renamed it. Only the types like gtx gt gts give it away. So different 8800's whit different chips are around. The 8800GT is as far as I know the newest 8800, later renamed 9800 after stock runned out.

Still one heck of a card so no cat in the bag there. EVGA is one of the top brands for Nvidia. MSI is rated in the middle.

12. Taluntain

Media:
    EVGA isn't widely available here (I managed to find only a single store selling them, vastly overpriced). Strange, because pretty much every other brand is available. I won't be using any higher resolutions than the ones I mentioned, but I do have 2 monitors... does the extra RAM make any difference with 2-monitor usage (I only use one to play)?

13. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

The 9800GT is more or less the latest 8800 model renamed and redesigned. But hey, it's a budget card clocking around 150 euro last I checked.

The 430w power isn't going to be enough unless it's 80plus and even then it's doubtful.

And oh, get the low power version of the chosen AMD Athlon 64 X2 CPU. They're cheaper in the long run, and usually in the short run by now too.

As far as brands go, I prefer Asus or XFX.

14. Taluntain

Media:
    The more I look, the more it seems that all the stores are out of 8800's... so I'll have to get a 9800, like it or not. It's just a matter of selecting one from the sea of available brands now... Club3D is the cheapest around here. What's the word on those?

15. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You don't need a more powerful supply. Maximum power dissipation for the 8800GT is 105W and in the Anandtech tests total system power consumption was 209W under load. If you want to see the test configuration just look at page 6 of the review.

EDIT:
    The 9800GT was even less

16. Taluntain

Media:
  17. Merlanni

Media:
    Clud3d has a good reputation. The top brand some consider XFX to be. Club3d is a brand I would buy.

The memory problem of windows 32 bit comes to mind. A card whit more mem will leave less for windows. If it pays of whit two monitors, it seems logical but cannot tell for sure.

Stil, to be in the sweet spot of 75% max load whit 85+ performance for the Power unit, remember that the x2 6000 likes power too.

18. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I would go with AMD X2 6000+ CPU, either model will perform just fine(90nm or 65nm).
    -65NM model has less L2 cache and uses less energy where as the 90nm model has 1MB more of cache and uses more energy.

As for the GPU a Nvidia 8800GT or 9800GT can be had for $100-150 depending on brand, factory overclock, etc...

If you have the money to spend on the GPU I recommend a 260 Nvidia or the 9800GX2; both of those GPUs are good for the money.

I would not go Phenoem at this time; a mistake I made. The higher clocked AM2 CPUs out perform most of the Phenoems; that will change once the 45nm AM2+ CPUs are released.

If you are looking for a cheaper alternative to the 9800/8800GT card you could purchase a 9600GSO/8000GS; this card uses the same chipset as the 9800 series but has less ram and a few of the features turned off; these cards run for less than $100 at most places.

19. Taluntain

Media:
    Merlanni, good point on the memory issue... I did some digging and found this thread, which explains it quite well. It seems that with GTs, it makes more sense to go with 512MB only in my case.

Unfortunately I can't find even a single review of Club3D's 9800GT so I'll probably go with Gigabyte's 9800GT instead because the reviews of it I've read are very positive, and most importantly, it's supposed to have a relatively silent Zalman fan. My current 7600GT is so noisy it's like a vacuum cleaner when it starts up (they put in the wrong card back when I ordered it; it should have been the passively cooled variant). I don't know what's up with no reviews of Club3D's 9800GT...

Munchkin Blender, are the two 6000+ models supposed to be equivalent in terms of performance? I can get either here for the same price, but at a glance it's not obvious if both perform equally. I did some searching and couldn't find any performance comparisons...

As for the graphics card, I've settled on 9800GT. That costs over 145 euros here as it is and I'm not going higher.

My motherboard doesn't support Phenoms, so 6000+ is max for me on this board. ;)

I'd like to thank everyone for your input on this matter, it really is very helpful!

20. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

AM2 6000+ X2 90nm 3.0GHz 128x2 Level 1 cache and 1MBx2 Level 2 cache and 125W

The X2 90nm is better at multi-tasking thanks to its higher level of cache, but that is only if you have multiple background applications running and windows open. Most users would be more than ok with half the cache and a higher clock speed.

AM2 6000+ X2 65nm 3.1 128x2 Level 2 cache and 512KBx2 Level 2 cache and 89W of power

The X2 65nm is a good alll around CPU offer decent clockspeed and multi-tasking features. It is designed to use less energy and can keep up with the prior AM2 6000+ 90nm CPU.

If you can find a AM2 5400+ Black Edition buy that over any 6000+ CPU. The 5400+ CPU has a lower clock speed but can be easily overclocked and is lower priced than either 6000+ CPU. The only down side to the 5400+ BE CPU is that it does not come with a CPU cooling fan; however if you system currently has a CPU cooling you can use that as the cooling solution for the BE CPU after buying some thermal grease.

***edit***

The 5400 BE is the same CPU as the 6000+ 65nm; the only difference is the clock speed. The 5400+ is at 2.8 compared to the 3.1. With the ability to adjust the multiplier on the 5400+ BE you can easily bypass the 3.1 clock speed of the 6000+. In fact I have heard most user on air running the 5400+ BE at 3.5-3.6GHz.

As for Nvidia brand GPUs; I trust only three companies. XFX, PNY and EVGA.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.