1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

All time greatest RPG?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Silvery, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    That's about it really my sweets...what do you think is the best RPG of all time?

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    That's an easy one. Planescape: Torment.

Now ask me one on sport.

3. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Planescape: Torment. Easy indeed :)

Worthy runner-ups would include Dark Sun, Might and Magic 6, Ultima Underworld, Ultima 4, Betrayal at Krondor and both Baldur's Gate. Maybe even Lazarus if fan remakes count. Don't ask me to pick one among these or to put them in order, that would be far too difficult. They've all left their mark in some way.

4. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Simply "Best RPG" would probably be Torment or one of Fallouts. But there are so many RPG formats. So the question would have to be
    Best...
    Non-D&D RPG: Fallout
    D&D RPG: Torment
    ARPG: NetHack
    MMORPG: WoW
    Console RPG: Dunno
    JRPG: Dunno

5. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    These are CRPGs... NOT RPGs.

The best CRPG is Fallout period.

I may get flamed by Ignus fans around here for posting this but Planescape Torment feels more like reading a book. I get more fun from playing Fallout 1 and 2 and although I enjoy PST a lot and I think the story and the setting are fantastic I must confess that I even get more fun from playing BG 1 and 2.

In both Fallout games you are not restricted to go to the same locations at the same time in the same order, you can head up to some pretty tough spots with a level 1 character and that is sweet -not to mention the fact that you can't do everything in that game, some choices have to be made, you can't do all the quests, you can't be the best in all skills and you can't get all the perks, you can't be the fastest shooter and be able to aim, you have to take the disadvantages with the advantages and that's what makes the SPECIAL system so... special.

In Fallout there are always consequences to your actions. You can turn your back on NPCs, you can double cross them but you have to face the consequences.

I once blackmailed the doc in Vault City in Fallout 2. Much later in the same game I got some rad levels so I thought I would let him heal my character. In any other game the doc would have healed my character or would have refused to talk to him. In Fallout 2 the doc gave my character a fatal injection and gloated over the Chosen One as he was slowly dying a painful death. This was a no reload game so it meant game over but it sure did put a smile on my face just to find that out after years of playing the game.

Anyone who had the opportunity of responding to Lynette that Westin had a lot of hit points will appreciate the depth and the complexity of some quests.

Plus I'd like to know of any other game that allows you to play as a sneaky character and get to finish it as easilly as a uber fighter and that allows you to complete it with a pacifist and non violent character as well.

In my experience no other game comes even close to Fallout 1 and 2.

Regarding PnP (i.e. real) RPGs I'm partial to Call of Cthulhu (the original not the D20 rehashed version) but there are countless RPGs I like as much as CoC.

6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    We've had a lot of these over the years, and it's good to have every once in a while, since new games appear, and it's also good to get the viewpoint of new members. But PT is almost always at the top of the list everytime we have one of these threads. It's amazing, with all the new technology and years spent that go into all the new games, but this one is still one of the most liked, at least on this board (I'd wager on some others as well).

BG2/ToB - Still the best, IMO.
    PsT
    System Shock 2
    M&M6 & 7
    Icewind Dale/How

I've just started playing the Witcher and so far it's great. If it finishes this way, it may be the best game in a long time.

7. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've just started with the witcher as well. Took a bit of getting used to the controls and menus but it's shaping up nicely

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Icewind Dale II

9. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Does the witcher use the same game engine as NWN1 or NWN2?

10. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Yes and no, it uses a heavily modified Aurora engine (NWN 1), they call it the "Aurora 2007 engine". Among other changes the rendering engine has basically been rewritten from scratch.

As for the best CRPG, I think my choice would be the Fallout series, Fallout 2 to be more precise. It is a tough question though, as there are so many and different CRPGs.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  11. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

It is too difficult to pick one. The eras are different, the worlds are different, etc.

Ultima 4, 6 and 7 were my favorite old school CRPGs. I did not like the gold box games nearly as much.
    BG1 and 2 as wel as PST are my favorite DnD CRPGs.
    Fallout 1 and 2 are their equals.
    In the more modern era, I have to say Morrowind and The Witcher.

The Witcher is a true roleplaying experience. Your choices matter and have a tangible effect on the game. It was really quite excellent.

12. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    PS:T. Duh.

If we're talking all RPGs, then the Final Fantasy series should crop up as wel. Personally I like VI and X.

13. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

my vote must go to Baldurs gate as it is the game that have entertained me the most and for longest time, still going strong.

but fallout is a really close second, it sets a mood that just isn't found anywhere else

14. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I'm torn bwetween:

Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar

and

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Both let you explore with the story line not always insisting on itself, but is there to advance the cause...

15. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Might and magic 3.

16. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Arcanum (sue me, I love the story and world)

17. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I agree 100 percent with Gnarf, actually (first time for everything).

The perfect rpg, should be non-linear, and the choices you make in the game, should have consequences (not talking about choice of feats etc). Anything that lets you respawn, is a no-go. Death should have concequences, apart from losing abit of XP. Freedom of movement, and good exploration options is a MUST, as well. The game should also let you make your own character as well.

My vote goes to Ultima IV, I think. Its one of those games that are made with a heart, and not just made to make cash. Allthough, I am not sure Ultima IV is the rpg I had most fun playing though. I think that award goes to Betrayal at Krondor, Ultima VII, BG2, or Oblivion.

I never got into the Final Fantasy games. They felt like I was playing a virtual movie, in a way. Kill stuff, and get to the next cutscene etc.

PS: Ever notice that crpgs just gets shorter and shorter? Seems to me that the good-old games were alot longer than, say, neverwinter nights 2.

18. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

It is a toss up between the FF series, BG 1, and a SuperHero RPG I purchased for $10 but can't seem to remember the name of it.

The superhero game was great; you had a good or evil path to pick. Every other level provided you with a new power tree or to increase or move up in your prior powers skill tree. You start off with two powers and go from there. I played a flamed warrior who had super strenght, though a good hit would have killed my character.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.