1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Aliens vs. Predator - any good? (no spoilers please)

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Death Rabbit, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's currently the #1 movie in America, but when it's competing with the Princess Diaries 2, that ain't sayin much. Color me the skeptical monkey.

Have you seen it? Is it good? Worth seeing? What the dilly?

Bare in mind that I'm a HUGE fan of all Aliens movies (yes, all of them), both Predator movies, and the video games (even though AvP2 is too scary to play...I'm a big wussy).

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Every review I have read and every forum that has this topic have something in common: it sucks. Bad. I heard it is so bad that if you saw it you can consider yourself robbed and raped from your "Bad Movie" -virginity. :D

Seriously; #1 movie? Poor bastards. :shake:

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If there is such thing as a "bad movie virginity," then I must be a dirty, dirty whore indeed. I've seen so many bad movies, I make Paris Hilton look like a nun. No, my movie chastity belt was shattered long ago.

Still, I may go see it this week, even if some think it's bad. I'm trying to get a consensus opinion here. The number 1 movie, even on a slow week, can't be THAT bad. I realize that it's mainly due to the nerd army turning out in droves, but still.

4. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I liked it. The usual formula of compensating for weak character and plot development with kick-*** action applies here. And, yes, the action is worth checking out imho.

5. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

A-vault gave it a 4/5 and I trust A-vault. I'm going to see it. Would have prefered a movie based on the game setting rather than some ice cavern (IIRC).

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Then you won't be having trouble finding "good" movies. Myself, I cannot stand them longer than it takes me to walk out from the theater.

7. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Being an Aliens and Predators thing, including the Queen, definitely helps, which was what brought me into the theater to begin with. :p

[ August 17, 2004, 08:36: Message edited by: Beren ]

8. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Kinda :yot: but I watched Predator 2 on TV a couple of weeks ago and only then realised that until AVP was made, the only actor (AFAIK) to appear in a film with each beast was Bill Paxton.

That said, I'll get back on topic by saying that I'm such a fan of both creatures that I'm going to see it regardless. I do love mindless action fun.

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I've heard it's appallingly bad and that even the action scenes are no good with the lighting so dark that you can't see what's going on.

It is only the number one movie because it is August and there are seldom any big blockbusters released in the USA in August. Plus, movie like this have an in-built fanbase that all turn out on opening night. It's takings tanked 25% from Friday to Saturday which is a really bad sign. These stats suggest that it will sink without a trace within the next two weeks.

Watch out for more dodgy August releases next week with the arrival of such potential gems as "Exorcist: The Beginning" and "Without a Paddle"

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I heard that the studio didn't give copies to movie reviewers in advance of the release date. That's usually not a good indication of a studio's opinion of the quality of a film.

11. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

...Which doesn't matter a jack if they already have a big fan-base to abuse, like in this case. It will sell like mad in any case. :shake:

Sadly, I remember several recent examples from both gaming and movie world: Thief 3, Doom 3, MtG: Battlegrounds, Counter-Strike: CZ, Terminator 3 (game and movie), Street Fighter, Star Trek, Star Wars, and of course AvP. They all sell only because they are continuums to some "legendary" serie or another. If Counter-Strike were made to be a movie, it would suck but still make it profitable for the companies.

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

If they made a Baldur's Gate movie we'd probably all be out on opening night, even if it was terrible. So there's no incentive for them to spend any making it good.

13. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Ah, Bullocks! /end Johnny Rotten ;)

There's plenty of incentive to make a movie like that good. The Spiderman movies were guaranteed to break even thanks to the loyal fanbase. They broke box-office records because they were damn good movies that stayed faithful to the source material while pleasing the mainstream crowds. Ditto with X-Men, the first two Batmans, Resident Evil, etc. The movies that just broke even were Daredevil, The Hulk, Godzilla, etc. - and they sucked major ass. Point is, name recognition and a built-in fanbase will only prevent an all-out financial disaster, but it takes a good script, good story and good acting to make them classics and/or a viable new series.

PS - that's exactly why so many comic book/video game/classic remake movies have been and shall be churned out this decade: they're a relatively safe bet with booku money making potential. Hell, even Mortal Kombat: Annihilation made a small profit, and that's 2 hours of my life I'll NEVER get back.

14. Harbourboy

Good point. Except 'Resident Evil' which was unwatchable.

15. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Really? Huh. I kinda liked it. I was pleasantly surprised by it, myself. The sequal looks disappointing, but I may be surprised again. We'll see.

16. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

@ Harbourboy

Well, there is that one D&D movie -you might want to content to that (and it is said to be crap to boot). ;)

17. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The Dungeons & Dragons movie most certainly IS crap. The only other person I know who's seen it only liked it because Thora Birch was in it.

18. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

i found the librarian/mage hotter. hehe. and yes, the movie sucked eggs. the "rod of red dragon control" or some such nonsense... yerg. IMO seeing the librarian was the only thing that made that movie tolerable. still wasn't enjoyable though.

@Aldazar
    was the elf in the movie intended to be drow? bec. although she didnt have white hair, she had dark skin.

19. Beren

Media:
    Been a while since I saw a post that actually concerned Aliens or Predators. Back on topic please.

20. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Well...I've heard from one of my friends, that its a mindless action flick, rather than a profound horror thriller classic...so...if you like mindless action flicks, I suppose its an easy choice. :rolleyes:

Edit: Woo Hoo...new gem!! :D :D :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.