1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Al Qaeda: Under New Management

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Erebus, May 29, 2003.

1. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

A quick question for all of you:

Do you think that the new leader of Al Qaeda will become as dangerous as Osama, after all, he was able to unite the severly weakened army, and put them back to a significant number.

2. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

First of all... who IS that new leader you're talking about ?

And by more dangerous..... do you mean if he will have a more expensive carpet in the cave he'll have to hide for the rest of his life ?

You talk like Osama Bin Laden is dead, do you know something we don't ?

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    It's impossible to tell if bin Laden is dead or alive. It's sure he's still the leader if he lives. A new guy could even be able, but not likely as talented as Osama. Or charismatic. Such people aren't born often. For good or for bad...

4. Erebus Gems: 16/31

I never said Osama is dead, Osama just isn't controlling the Al Qaeda anymore.

5. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I personally doubt, that Osama Bin Laden ever was the "leader" of Al-Qaeda. As far as I know, an detailed organigram of that organisation is yet unknown.

I think, Osama Bin Laden was the chef of PR-relations, if I may say that. The spokesperson, because he was the guy who looked best in the Videos. I don't think that someone will be able to replace him as the guy in the Al-Queda videos. But I don't think, that his dead has any influence on the abiltiy of Al-Queda to act.

But I was always under the impression, that Al-Queada was a very loose organisiation. The Saudi-Arabians focussing on the Americans, whereas the Egyptians (Luxor :mad: ) and Algerians have other priorities, but worked together for the sake of synergy.

6. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Do you have some inside information; How can you be so sure that Osama isn't the head of Al-Queida anymore;
    And i believe that although Osama is most propably not the strategic mind of this organisation but he was the one who provided the money and that for sure made him at least one of the person who called the shots

[ May 29, 2003, 13:32: Message edited by: Mithrantir ]

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Osama was the money, not much more, not much less. He liked the attention and I am sure that the other guys in the leadership circle was happy with having someone else be the target.

8. Iago Gems: 24/31

About the money I am not so sure, either. Yes, he was the one with the best connections to the giantic money source Saudi-Arabia. But even in this case he may be replaced. But an organisation, in my view, can not only depend on one man alone. If you change the CEO or any other leading member of a company, does that automaticly mean, the company is going bancrupt ?

9. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Yago,

It does if that CEO or chairman brought on board all the dosh.

Osama brought in (conservative est) $300m. You can buy a lot of nasty toys and fund a lot of training with that.

10. Iago Gems: 24/31

Viking, yes he had a lot of cash. But his family has tried to get rid of him and take away form him as much money as they could. He propably still has millions. The problem is for me, that, so's my view, he was very important as charismatic figure, which had because of his family connectionds to millionairs all over the middle east, connections which helped him fund raising. Not his personal wealth but his abilty to act as fund-raiser, may have made him so important. But I still doubt, that his a unreplacable figure.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/1670089.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/1603178.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/1560834.stm

I believe not that a "single" person is able to do that. That's a big movement of very bright and well educated people. If "one" person comes or goes, it doesn't make a big difference in my view. Ironically, the Egyptians hate Zawahri and he had to flee Egypt and take over Al-Qeada in at the end of the 90's.

11. Erebus Gems: 16/31

Mithrantir, it was put on several newspapers, quite a while ago, that Osama's head of security would take over from him. So far he has orchestrated several "succesful" suicide bombings. And has greatly affected the economy here in South East Asia, however I think it is more connected to the Bali bomber sentenced to death, rather than those countries carrying US sympathies.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.