1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Al Gore - Could he be the Next Prez?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Chandos the Red, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    It seems Al Gore might be on the come-back trail. And if there's one Dem who deserves a chance, IMO, it's Gore. Why? First, because he beat George II in the 2000 election. That's right. Were it not for the Supreme Court of Fools, there's an excellent chance he would have been prez instead of what we have now. And how different things might have been.

Second, IMO, he could win. He matches up better than Hillary, except on issues of defense, where the ex first lady is out to out-hawk even many Republicans on the "military might is right" issue. But Gore has an issue of his own, away from the dismal politics of the ME.

An interesting point. People are certainly tired of the "politics as usual game." And they are tired of the political Armageddon of the last 6 years. Most of all they are tired of Iraq. As for Iran, it appears that George II will have to deal with the idiots there if he is going to have any credibility left with his much vaunted "War on Terror." The Iranians are the real deal, and serious troublemakers, and George is the self-proclaimed "troublemaker thumper" for the free world. Have at it Mr. Bush.

That leaves Al Gore as the competent, fix-it man; not a terribly exciting character, but someone who is principled and willing to work hard for all Americans on issues that George II scoffed at before reality fell on his presidency:

They are over. And it appears that Al Gore may be just getting started. Personally, as much as I like Hillary, Gore may be the man of the moment for the Dems. Maybe.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12535070/site/newsweek/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12535460/site/newsweek/

[ April 29, 2006, 06:00: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

2. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

He couldn't do much worse than John Kerry...

But will the Republicans find a better candidate than George W?

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I must say, the negative campaigning against John Kerry must have been the most effective one I have ever seen. I cant say I ever cared one way or another aobut the dude but the way the Republicans managed to absolutely annihilite the man simply by flinging dirt is almost impressive in its own way. They managed to turn a pretty grey standard democratic politician into the monster from the blue lagoon, and the image sticks. Whoever said playing dirty doesnt pay off?

Gore is another person who have subjugated for extensive dirtflinging to an extent that for anyone not really into politics his image is a robotic nutcase who claims to have invented the internet. There is an old thread somewhere around here named "Gore or the UNA bomber" or something of that kind. I reckon that is the quite close to the common image of Gore in the American mind. I dont think you should bother Chandos, you will be ruled by Right-Wing despots for the rest of your life, all opposition is broken and anyone who dares to come forth is instantly discredited and in a short while everyone thinks they are crazy lunatics not worth listening to.

4. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

How about Mgambe(was that the name?)? He is straight(as in, clear on his issues), and AFAIK, he has not skeletons in the closet.

But yeah, I'd love to have the US led by Gore.

5. khazadman Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Gore will never get the nomoination. Forget the fact that he's a total whack job; the two top political parties have not run a losing presidential candidate more than once sine '68, when the Republicans ran Nixon. And Queen Hillary is too disliked to ever win.

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    God, I hope not.

Competant and Gore are rarely used in the same sentence. I would only vote for Gore over Hillary or Quayle.

7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Care to elaborate?

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You all see here what I mean, the common image of Al Gore by people not following him or the democratic party is that he is a nutcase and a loon and I doubt it would be easy to put forth a tangible reason for these feelings to be present.

School example of a succesful character assassination.

9. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Then can you explain how Al Gore got more popular votes than your beloved King George II?

10. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

You really need cheek to call Gore incompetent, especially taking into account the great five years we had under the leadership of Bush.

As about Gore vs. Hillary. I would go for Gore in a heartbeat. Hillary is not bad, but she is primarily a politician; the problem with Gore is that he's not politician enough. He lost the election because he could not shed his wonk image and bring himself to the lowest common denominator level (not that he did not try). Forget about his competence, experience, etc; people wanted a frat party boy. What a load of bull.

11. Gnarfflinger

But the biggest thing that Gore or whoever the Democrats run will have to face is that the Republicans will have a better candidate than George W and Dick Cheney. I've heard very little in favour of George W in all my explorations on the net. This leads me to believe that Kerry was a complete Knob to lose that election. The Republicans won't make that mistake again. Will the Democrats be ready?

12. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I doubt it.

13. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Who do you think the Republicans will nominate, Gnarf? McCain seems to have completely sold out. He no longer looks very appealing to either side.

14. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think McCain shot himself in the foot when he began pandering to the lunatic evangelicals. 5 years ago he said he deplored men like Pat Robertson, and now he's shaking hands with him. I've lost an immense amount of respect for him as of late. It's funny - he's pandering to the hard right because after Rove's orchestration of Bush's last two victories, McCain thinks it's the only way to win; I say the fact that he's pandering now officially kills his "maverick" image. The hard right won't accept him because he's not Jesusy enough historically, and the moderate voters who used to love him will drop him like 3rd period French. I don't think he could win the nomination, and if he does he won't win the election.

So who else do the Republicans have? Guliani? PLEASE run a pro-gay marriage adulterer on the Republican ticket - please. Frist? He's got almost as many scandals coming down the pipe as DeLay (almost). Jeb? From what I've heard, he isn't interested in running at the moment (smart of him). Somebody told me the other day that Bob Dole is going to run again, and I'd love to watch him get spanked again.

On the Dem side, we have Hillary (who I don't like much at all), Joe Biden (who rules), something tells me Joe Leiberman will give it another go (putz), Evan Beigh (sp?) is likely. But Gore has the experience and determination on all of them.

It's too bad, as Jaoquin pointed out, the Republicans are so good at character assassination (and the Dems are so good at being victims of it). I STILL hear people say idiotic things like "well he said he invented the internet," and it makes me absolutely nuts. People give Gore far too little credit for as capable and credible as he is. His demeanor cost him 2000, to be sure - I don't think it had anything to do with Clinton. In fact, I think it could be argued that had Gore not distanced himself from Clinton in 2000 he would have won handily. But if you've listened to a speech or two of his lately, you'll notice that his demeanor has changed considerably. It's like...he grew bigger balls or something. He seems tougher, more sure of himself - which is the only real advantage Bush has ever had on him - AND he knows his sh*t...a distinct advantage he has over President Chimpy.

So if Gore does decide to run, don't count him out before he hits the ring. It'll be an interesting race if he does, and he'll fight for it. He'll get my vote for sure if he does.

15. Gnarfflinger

I've heard the name Mitt Romney, and that he is Governor of Massechusettes. I've heard he's looking for the nomination in 2008.

I'm basing my comments off the hatred I'm seeing for George W that I see wherever I go. You make him sound like the worst candidate the Republicans ever had. By that logic, anyone else is an improvement.

16. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I would support Gore. I don't like the thought of Hillary. I also think Feingold would make an excellent president. Concerning Al Gore's track record on the environment, here's an opinion from Bill Maher, and there's a lot of truth to it:

17. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I wouldn't mind Gore... but the Dems would have to figure out a way to tame the he's-made-of-wood thinks-he-invented-the-internet memes the press was so fond of in 2000.

18. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

In other words, they need to get some backbone, and assorted other body parts (rhyme with "halls").
    Frankly, I think Al Gore would make a pretty decent president. He's reasonably intelligent, concerned about things that may not be flashy, but are important (i.e. climate change, research, etc), and I suppose he wouldn't have been vice to Clinton for 8 years if he couldn't at least get something done right. I don't think America would make a mistake with him, although it remains to be seen who the nominees are.
    Of course, for that we'll have to see the legendary "liberal press" actually favor him for a while, for a change at least.

19. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I not really sure if Gore will run aganst Hillary in 2008, since it's really supposed to be "her year" to run. Personally I think he can beat her and I still think he would have a better chance against whomever the Republicans toss out there (probably McCain).

Although McCain's a sellout, he's still the best shot they have, since he is a reformer of sorts and the Republicans are anxious to prove that they still are the "reform party of 94" despite their dismal record since then. Their substandard performance in congress has been widely commented on, but it will be up to the Dems to still prove that they can do better, especially behind a Democratic prez. They have to prove that they have a plan to fix what the Repulicans have made a mess of. There has to be a real strategy behind the endless platitudes and charges of corruption and incompetence.

At this point I still see Gore as the best choice.

20. auril Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

No way in hell would Al Gore get the nomination, that is if he had the arrogance to run.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.