1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Aha, a new gem

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by IaaA?, Dec 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IaaA? Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I think that this gem system is really neat. I had to start a new topic as my 50th post, which is related to giving me a new gem. What do think of this new gem system?
    Also, I have decided to turn over a new leaf and change my name.
    Formerly IaaA
    Now: Where is Oria?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Actually, this gem system has been around for a few months now. And I'm afraid that name change won't last. Having a question as a username is really a weird idea.

3. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] You can change your user name?
    I didn't know that! :hmm:

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] You can change your Publicly Displayed Name (PDN) in your profile. Your login name will always be the same.

5. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

So what happens when you get to gem 30/30. DO you just stay there then?

6. IaaA? Gems: 5/31

Are you going to add that to the rules? Are you going to add "Questions (as you determine them)" cannot be names? I thought once a name is a name it cannot be a question. It is just a name.
    formerly IaaA
    formerly Where is Oria?
    IaaA

7. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] No, if I started adding things like that to the rules I could never stop. Although I'm being disappointed on a daily basis, I do have to have some faith in people to at least know what's appropriate for a username and what isn't. You don't name yourself a question in real life. While fantasy and made up names are pretty common in board usernames, questions are not. And in 2 years no one came up with the idea of naming himself a question, so I'm not going to make a rule based on 1 individual doing it now, most likely with the intention of irritating me. Rules get made after some undesirable behaviour manifests itself at least a dozen times.

8. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

What if you really really like a gem and don't want to upgrade it, but still want to keep posting?

9. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well, if you do get to 30/30, then you have been here too long with out donating money, or not buying anything through the site.
    :yot:
    I like the gems, but as soon as I get a credit card, which will be in about two months, I'm going to donate some $$, and buy a few things through the site. :rolling:

10. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I think that you'll get a custom avatar then. I am not sure. Whatever.

11. Mortensen Banned

[​IMG] Kitrax you could wait until you get to Gem 30 and then donate money to get a picture

12. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not always true. You can send in something worthy, donate or buy stuff and that allows you to choose a pic/avatar. Doesn't mean that anybody without a pic/avatar never did such a thing.
    Just like all cows are animals, but not all animals are cows.

13. MrGrouch Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Can I ask you a question Tal? Why is it such a problem for him/her to have a question as a handle?

And before you get angry at me, I really just want to know. I realize that I am new here, so I figure I might be missing some sort of etiquette thing (like people who never use caps or like to come up with weird spellings).

MrGrouch

--Slightly off topic, but since there have been a few posts on it, I hoped it would be ok--

[ December 31, 2002, 04:11: Message edited by: MrGrouch ]

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's not that it's such a problem, but the choice is just in rather poor taste. First, it's just odd to have a question as an identification. Second, the reasons behind the choice are less than well intentioned.

15. Atreides Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'd just like to comment on a post I read earlier in the thread: I fall under the category of a person contributing something to the site (my IWD2 Item Code Guide (as it's called on the other site I posted it too) and I have not picked a custom Avatar due to some... complications on my part.
    I have a question for Tal and it's a bit off topic: I ordered through this site something from Amazon.com (NWN Collector's Edition) but I did it from another computer, will I be cridited for it?

16. IaaA? Gems: 5/31

BullKraPolA!
    I didn't pick this name to irritate anybody. I picked this name, kinda by accident but attached some other stuff to it that was ignored by the person in question.
    However, I noticed its uniqueness and I think it is kuhl. Everybody here has a unique name and I created one that is truly unique in style as well.
    When I grew up people had names like John, David, Mike, etc. Then starting in the '70s, they picked names like Aquarius, Daffidil and mispelled names like Dawn [sic, Don or Donna]. This is now a new millenia. How far can the mind progress? You're just being a stuckinthemud for tradition and calling it something else. Also, consider that you are breaking a rule in that when you attack someone's name -- IT IS INSULTING! And your site won't let me change it back!
    IaaA
    formerly "Where is Oria?"
    formerly IaaA

EDIT: Also, how did Blackthorne get involved in this and what does he know about my intentions? I thought that as a rule that you (Tal) said that this should be resolved with PM. If you want to ask about my intentions -- Ask.

[ December 31, 2002, 09:18: Message edited by: Where is Oria? ]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2011
  17. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Tal:Let him/her have a question as a name. I think its funny. Nobody has said, that it is forbidden or something.

Where is Oria?:You can change your PDN(Publicly Displayed Name), but not your username. BTW, don't get in a fight with Tal, he is the god of Sorcerers Place.

Eze bows before Tal and puts tons and tons of D&D RPG's in front of him

[ December 31, 2002, 09:27: Message edited by: Ezellohar ]

18. IaaA? Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] I had my fight with him, I lost and he said, "I don't hold any grudges." I had never said that myself but I will now.
    IaaA

:doh: I figured out how to change my name back, but I had to add a punctuation mark. I hope you don't mind.

Formerly IaaA
    Formerly Where is Oria?
    Now IaaA?

[ December 31, 2002, 10:25: Message edited by: IaaA? ]

19. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Atreides, sure... As long as you used a link on SP to order. I sent you a mail about picking a custom avatar/portrait some time ago but you never replied.

IaaA?, you brought this to the forums, not me. Anyway, you should be able to change it back to IaaA now. If you want to. I really don't care. I can live with IaaA?.

Ezellohar, I told him to change it in e-mail.

20. IaaA? Gems: 5/31

Really and truly this topic was related to my getting a new gem and not a new name. I just decided at the time to add a new name.
    And you'll notice that I've stayed with the topic again (ASIDE: Most of you are off topic) and this being my 75th post, haha, I get a new gem; and, no, I'm happy with my current name.

IaaA?

EDIT: BTW, this gem is almost as ugly as the previous one. I can see why people (if that is what we are) want to keep a particular gem but they cannot unless they donate money to the cause and get it as part of their avatar thingy.

[ January 01, 2003, 15:33: Message edited by: IaaA? ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.