1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Agony Auntie Corner?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, May 13, 2005.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I've been thinking about a forum for love, relationships and that sort of topics here on the boards for a while. I'm not really keen on the idea myself, but pretty much every topic of this sort that has popped up in Whatnots and from time to time in AoDA has been very popular with the local populace... And who am I to judge tastes?

I think having a forum dedicated to this sort of topics would generate even more discussions of this sort. Which, of course, can be a good or a bad thing, depending on your perspective. So before I do anything I'd like as many people as possible to voice their opinions here.

So, a love & relationships (and similar stuff) forum here on BoM. Yes or no, and why.

P.S.
    The fact that SP is a gaming site has come up before as a justification against this sort of forum. Well, if you look around, you can see that the SP community has been about much more than just games for quite some time now. Heck, having a forum for politics goes about as far away from games as possible. So I don't think that the idea is out by default, not by far.

2. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Well, while I, personally, think love issues and such should be a private thing, many people here seem to feel differently and like to share their problems publicly. So, given that, if you have a site with political forums as well as gaming ones, why not a forum for love/relationships? Now, the next one you need to consider is "Religion and Dogma" and we'll have all the bases covered. ;) :D

3. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Make love, not war!

(Translation: would be muchly good :D )

4. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Why not? I'm sure it would be popular with many people here.

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Why not?

6. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

[​IMG] The only reason why not - that I can think of - is whether you really need a whole forum, or if the occasional thread in Whatnots is enough. But I guess that it's a pretty common topic, and it may prove popular, so go for it.

You just need to find a suitable BioWare related name for it... ;)

7. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

I don't think it is a good idea.

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Well, I think the Whatnots and the RBP do the job pretty well, unless we're going to aim for more discussion. For the usual sighing and sobbing, the RBP and Whatnots do seem enough. On the other hand, the subject has always been interesting to me. I've always been interested in how it works, what draws people together, what makes it work out between them. Would write more but can't with hands hurting this much. :p

9. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    And the name of this forum? "Sune's Corner"? "Loviatar's Dungeon" might be a better name considering that most of the posts seem to deal with suffering.

But do we really need another forum for this topic? It is natural for the topic of love and relationship to be popular. Posting your problems can be therapeutic but having its own forum might make some people believe that they can get reliable advice.

10. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

I don't think this is the most appropriate forum for discussing each others personel problems. I don't really want to know about your problems, do you want to know about mine? No. I guess the occasional problem topic in the Whatnots forum is no big deal but anything that would trigger more people to post about their problems is a big bad idea. I would just find it kind of depressing.

11. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

The Brothel of Intellectual Lusts naturally. ;)

Anyway I'm not sure if it's required. I'm all for giving some advice and support for people who need it but I don't think it requires a separate forum. I do however think that it might be good to resurrect the old relationship rant thread and move the babbling about relationships there instead of random babbling. I know some people find it extremely annoying to watch people complain about their love life (jealousy perhaps? ;) ) and a separate thread allows them to easily avoid such discussions. Anyway I don't think there will be enough posters in a separate forum and specific bigger love problems can have their own topics either in whatnots or the alley depending on their nature.

Just my two cents.

EDIT:

I'll have to disagree. I have allways found politics to be sort of a game and there are several serious political theories which relate politics to strategical board games. ;)

[ May 13, 2005, 03:09: Message edited by: Morgoroth ]

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Not sure if we need a separate forum for it. Main reason is that would probably have to be named after one of the brothels in the various CRPGs (why do they all seem to have one?) which wouldn't really be very wholesome (the "Wink and Tickle", anyone?)

And as for why we need non-game related forums - it's because there are so few games these days that meet our highly refined tastes. Look at the huge amount of traffic in the Demon Stone forum as an example.......

13. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Wait till May. All these rantings are seasonal. Then the idea of a seperate forum will seem like so much excess.
    Not to mention the amount of whining a whole new forum has the potential to attract. :rolleyes:

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Huh? It IS May.

15. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Seems the whimsical stuff finds a home in Whatnots and the serious self-flaggelation roosts in AoDA. Not sure that you need a whole forum dedicated to it.

16. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

No. Too many forums as it is already with the splitting of the alley. The few threads can easily be handled by Whatnots and the serious ones by the alley. Besides I don't see why people have to post such intimate personal feelings on the internet, but thats just me.

17. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, although I also like talking about these sorts of things, and the boards is a good venue for that, I don't think we need a seperate forum for it. Indeed, the threads in Whatsnots and AoDA seem to do nicely.

I'm not opposed to the idea, just think it'd be kinda redundant.

:borg:

18. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

What dmc and Apeman said. There's not enough time to visit all the current ones now. Although those with 3000+ posts might disagree. ;)

19. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    It's just a nmatter of priorities :p

And hey, if politics have to do with games, so dfoes love - why else would there be approximately billion and one romance mods out there? :D

20. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

If there was a separate forum you'd know which threads to avoid. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.