1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Adventure Games - Recommendations Please

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Elvenblade, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Can anyone recommend me any good adventure games? It's been hard to find any new games lately since this genre is getting a weaker heartbeat every year :(

I've played all the Monkey Island games, Grim Fandango and Gabriel Knight lll. I would really appreciate any recommendations you guys could give.

2. Arifirh Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Anachronox - one of the best games I've played this last 5 years. It's really an adventure/RPG with turn-based combat, but far too good to pass up - it does have inventory & skill based puzzles, after all. :) The story and characters rank up there with PS:T, and it's funny as hell. Top of the list!

The Broken Sword series is good - they've just got a flashy 3D sequel, though the first two are better games.

Syberia is a great game too - it has some really emotional moments, but some people have seen what I thought of as artistic decisions to be design flaws - the lack of people, for example. A solid game, though. They ruined the second one though, ignore that.

Zork: Grand Inquisitor, if you know the rest of the series, is worth a shot as well. If only for the spell noises.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, The Longest Journey is pretty much the only adventure released in the recent years that has been highly praised by critics, as far as I can remember. Might also want to check out Myst just for the heck of it.

Anyway, there are so many great old(er) adventures that you'd really have to play for years to run out of them all. But, of course, DosBox and a decent computer are a must to play most of them on a Windows XP computer.

Here's a short list of adventures that haven't been listed yet and I know are very good: Discworld games (all, only Noir was incredibly buggy for me), Sam & Max, Day of the Tentacle, Toonstruck, Leisure Suit Larry 7, King's Quest 7 and a lot more. But these are all classics and if you haven't played them yet, you definitely should.

4. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. The Dig. Pretty much anything by LucasArts pre-Monkey Island 4, really. Sam'n'Max and Day of the Tentacle are the two funniest games I've ever played.

Beyond Good and Evil...the combat is easy, making it more an adventure than anything.

The first Gabriel Knight game is also great; you'll likely need Dosbox though, since the old Sierra games have timing errors on fast PCs.

The Quest for Glory series.

5. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I remember that I played a demo for The Longest Journey some time ago but I can't remember if I liked it or not :nolike:

Gonna have to see if I can find the demo.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Just an addendum, since so many games have already been listed: the Quest for Glory series are adventure/RPG hybrids rather than "pure" adventure games, so you might want to keep that in mind. They're all excellent though, and probably some of the best games Sierra ever did.

The Space Quest series is also a lot of fun to play.

The Dig is fantastic. Very underrated game, suffered several years of delay before it was released, and the graphics do look dated, but it's a great game to play. And the music is stunning.

And if you like text adventure games, there's zillions of them floating around on the internet :D

7. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31

Text: Zork I-III, Planetfall. Planetfall is pretty hard though.

I don't think the Dig's graphics are dated. They're very nice :)

Don't play Myst, play Zork: Nemesis instead.

8. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I'll have to mention The Dig also even if it has been mentioned a few times. It's one of those games that cease to be just a game and becomes more like art. Another one which doesen't seem to have been mentioned is Gabriel Knight (the first one I see you have played the third) which is also one of the best adventure games ever made. Even though it's more like an roleplaying game I'll still have to advertise Betrayal at Krondor which is freeware.

The Longest Joureny was a game I disliked, never really understood what was so good in it. It had a few good moments and the world was certainly colorful but overall I would say it reeked of mediocrity.

9. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    All my favorites are already mentioned except for Simon the Sorcerer, unless I am mistaken or visually handicapped.

Warnings:
    I loved all King's Quests, except for KQ8.
    Larry's are cool and funny, but the last one "Magna Cum Laude" is the worst game I bought. Full of stupid mini-games that will bore and annoy you within a very few hours played. Stay away from it.

10. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

If you want a good interactive fiction (as in: text) game have a look at City of Secrets by Emily Short - or browse the IF Archive: http://www.ifarchive.org/

11. Gro'Mul Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

You should really check out some of the old lucasarts adventures such as: monkey Island 1+2, Sam & Max:Hit the road, Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis, Full Throttle.
    Very old and the graphics aren't all that to look at anymore, but the gameplay is superb. You can play these games with ScummVM, check http://scummvm.sourceforge.net
    There you can find the emulator, it works like a charm for most old lucasarts adventures (and some others) You should get these games in a legit way, they're still not for free.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.