1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Adhesive residue

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Barmy Army, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Come on then, purveyors of all-knowledge. How do I shift that annoying sticky residue left after you remove a sticker from something?

This is a metal object and the adhesive was strong enough to hold a piece of plastic on pretty solid. Is there a way I can completely remove this stuff?

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It depends on what else is on the piece of metal.

Most mild to most destructive:

Soap and water.
    Kitchen cleaner (such as 409).
    Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol).
    Paint thinner.
    Laquer thinner (or acetone).
    Direct flame.

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    You need a solvent. Try cleaning benzene or lighter fuel, nitro thinner or spiritus. One of them should do the trick.

4. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Here in the USA we have a product called Goop Off. It does the job.

5. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I've always found acetone to be the best solvent for adhesive residue. Alcohol doesn't do much againt strong ones, and paint thinner stinks. Besides acetone is pretty easy to get (nail polish remover!)

6. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Washing powder for clothes diluted in water should work. Usually. It's cheap, safe, effective and every single household has it. Most of the washing powders of the modern world has enzymes that break down fats 'n other organic stuff. Usually sticker glues are made of such organic stuff. Worked like magic when I tried it out. What's best is that they don't dissolve anything else except the organic stuff so it's safe to use on cd record covers.

Enzymes. The best and the cheapest dissolvents there ever is. Get to it. Basic biology 101.

7. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Nail polish remover. :p

If it's just a regular sticker, I just rub on it with my thumbs till it comes off in little bit-rolls thingies...like eraser particles. But that's just me.

8. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

If you use acetone, and wear eye-contact lenses, use precaution and wear eye protection. Organic solvents, such as acetone, if accidently splashed into the eyes, will dissolve contact lenses and fuse them to the natural lenses---not a happy predicament.

9. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've been a chemist for ... well, longer than many posters here have been alive. I've never seen a documented case of this -- nor is there any case like this on file with ACS or OSHA. This is a science myth (as opposed to an urban myth). However, science teachers everywhere (especially in high school) enjoy propagating this myth in the 'name of safety.'

I agree with using eye protection. I always have eye protection on whenever I work.

If there is no paint on the metal then certainly using nail polish remover or acetone would be quite efficient -- but it will also remove most paints. Always do the 'spot test' -- put a drop on the item in an inconspicuous spot to see if the solvent damages the item (don't use it if it does).

You can also mechanically remove it -- grind it off, sand it off, whatever.

10. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Enzymes, darnit! Here's lipase and it's uses for you! Detergents! Breaks down water-insoluble organic adhesives such as sticker-glue (at least the most common ones)! :rolling:

edit: ok, those with further knowledge of chemistry might want to check if I just got carried away packing too little info of the subject in my noggin, I just know it works, now I'm starting to wonder why that is...

editII: made my case little more appealing, corrected some typos

[ June 18, 2007, 21:38: Message edited by: Iku-Turso ]

11. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Watch out with a lot of these if the metal is covered with paint, 'cause it won't only take the sticky stuff off.

If it has paint on it, before you try anything aggressive, just grab a hair dryer and heat it up and try rubbing it off with a towel. That worked for me, but those stickers were fairly new, so this might not work with older stickers.

I also heard that olive oil will do the trick, but I'm a bit skeptic about that one.

If there isn't any paint to worry about, go nuts with nail polish remover.

12. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Thanks for the suggestion guys. After trying a few things, I thrashed it with deodorant and aftershave, gave it a proper soak in it, then gave it a dose of boiling water, then rubbed it out... it then rubbed off a treat. I'm guessing it was the alcohol in the smelly that shifted it. Cheers

13. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    *off topic*

Nail polish remover must be the equivalent of a nuclear assault on your nails...errgh. I think I'll look into less aggressive alternatives. protective nail polish isn't really going to do much good when you have to use nail polish remover on your nails afterwards (I refuse to let them go chippy).

Well, congrats, Barmy. ;)

14. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Peanut butter. Works wonders but you'll have the item after. Put peanut butter on glue left from just about anything for an hour or two then washing it off.

I got this from my mother and have been doing it for years I don't know how or why it works but it does.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.