1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Abramoff

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by khaavern, Dec 21, 2005.

1. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Is Abramoff getting ready to sing? This could be a big thing. From the NYTimes article

Unique resource - you betcha :) . As a comment, Abramoff's partner Scanlon already cut a deal with the prosecutors a couple of weeks ago; probably this is what upped the pressure on Abramoff.

This is bound to screw up the holidays for a number of republicans in Washington:

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Oh, I certainly think he will sing. This is a win-win situation. He gets a reduced sentence, so that definitely helps him. His political career was over for all intents and purposes anyway because of his involvement in this. But on the other hand, Abramoff is a small fish in all of this. If they want the "big fish" in this then they are going to need his testimony.

3. khaavern Gems: 14/31

There is an interesting article in the Post today about the money link between DeLay and Abramoff link.It ties DeLay to russian oil money:
    If you read the article (which is pretty long) it apears that the russians wanted DeLay to speak in support of the IMF bailing out the russian economy.

4. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I wonder what the Russian guy who posts here thinks of all this? Russian economy and oil, a Jewish-American lobbyist for the pro-Israel lobby AIPAC (sp?), Christian pastors and right-wing "family values" politicians who support bans on gay marriage. Enough to make a nationalistic, Catholic Russian conservative's head spin. :eek:

5. khaavern Gems: 14/31

Well, looks like Abramoff is ready to cut a deal (where's that dancing banana when you need it :) ) From the NYTimes story:
    There are other cases against Abramoff, but apparently he'll serve any prison terms concurrently. So this means the maximum he'll get is 10 years. Hopefully the prosecutors will get something good out of this. You gotta love the quotation at the end of the story:
    Anyone cares to estimate how long till the first head rolls in the House? (my bet is on Bob Ney, and I give him a couple of months)

[ January 04, 2006, 17:37: Message edited by: khaavern ]

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Tom DeLay must be puckering up as we speak, because he can kiss his ass goodbye. Who knows exactly what's going to happen here, but DeLay looks screwed in a major way.

7. khaavern Gems: 14/31

Wow, DeLay gave up trying to regain his leadersip post already !!! NYTimes article

This Abramoff stuff must be really powerful :) . Truth is, I was expecting that the connection of DeLay with Abramoff be somewhat tangential; meaning Abramoff gave DeLay some money, and facilitated some stuff for him (kind of what lobbiysts do usually :) ). There must be more to this than meets the eye.

Some more tidbits can be found in this accompanying article

Same Buckham which appears abouve in connection with the U.S. Family Network. Probably a name we'll see more of in the future.

Moreover, this firm Alexander Strategy seems to also be implicated in the bribery scandal related to Rep Duke Cunningham:
    Cunningham will do prison for the stuff, and, according to an article I read a couple of days ago (in the Times) , in his last days in Washington he was wearing a wire :eek:

Who says politics is not fascinating ?! ;)

[ January 08, 2006, 05:14: Message edited by: khaavern ]

8. khaavern Gems: 14/31

Well, Ney has given up his leadership post (under from some pressure from his colleagues, no doubt):

I did not know that he was also supposed to oversee lobbying. Must be a nice job, if you can get it ;)
    Kind of like setting the wolf in charge of the sheep.

More:
    It seems that finally the guys in the House can use that cash they are so eager of gathering to some good purpose ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.