1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

About Familiars and Evil/Good quest in Hell

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by cmarface, Aug 19, 2004.

1. cmarface Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hey, i'm just wondering about familiars. i am usually lawfull good so my familiar is always pleasant. In evil classes (which i find much more interesting now), can you improve your relationship??
    How do you get rid of your familiar? (dispell???)
    Is there any point of even summoning one up when you are in your later stages, apart from the fact that its an extra little thing to get killed by the enemies faster?
    Ive just read something, that in hell, (before fighting iranicus) if you do an evil quest from good alignment your familiar changes as well?

Keeping to the topic, can you get a GOOD alignment in Hell if you were EVIL???

Oh yeah... Ive just purchased BG1 and expansion and have noticed the whole pantaloon quest (read it in various walkthroughs) Ahh... how cool is this set of things that you get????? From what i read it SOUNDS like a cheat vs your avarage monster??? Im really interested in ANY information/views in the PANTALOON topic

Thank You

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I don't remember what the stats for the armor are, but if you get the golden pantaloons from BG1, the silver pantalets(?) from BG2 and the Bronze underpants(?) from ToB, cespenar can make the armor. Apparently it's really big and IIRC you have to remove it before going through narrow doors and such. not sure though.

3. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Hmm. The first thought that sprung to my mind from this thread was: Has anyone made a familiar mod with new banter and possibly quests?

I guess not, I think it's a wonderful idea though. The familiars could add so much more to the game than they do now with their few measly dialogues.

4. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The armour makes you look like a large Golem, it's good fun but you almost have better equipment yourself by the time you can actually use it. And unless you are playing evil, you shouldn't be able to get it.

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

because you have to do the ransom in order to acquire the silver? yeah, i guess it would be out of character for a good, but perhaps a neutral would.

6. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Actually Cespenar does not make the BMU (Big Metal Unit). You meet a dwarf/gnome(?) in the ToB desert town of which name I have forgotten. He will make them for you using some wierd and wonderful machine.

7. Geoff Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Amkethran. Home of the Big Bad Balthazar.

8. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

And the stats of the armor: -10 AC+All your other bonusses and sadly i cant remember any more, but i dont think there is any more.... Oh Well...

Balle

9. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    To answer the original question on familiars:
    Your "relation" with your familiar has no bearing at all on the game. And no, there's no way to change the dialog options (none that I know of anyway).
    I don't remember there was any way of "getting rid" of your familiar, short of killling him, which is a very bad idea (see below). If you want him out of the way though, you can always store him in your pack (a dialog option allows you to do this).

Summoning a familiar is always a good idea, because you get half of the familiar's HP total added to YOUR total HP permanently. Since mages and sorcerers have such low HP totals, this is a significant boost. However, if your familiar dies, you not only lose all of this HP, but also lose one point of CON. So, try your best to keep him alive. Which, in most cases, involves keeping him the backpack during fights (all familiars are pretty bad fighters)

10. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Re: getting the silver pantaloons, I can only justify it for evil and chaotic neutral characters. Which is why I get Haer'Dalis to go upstairs and find the old lady, tell her she's going nowhere, and have him pickpocket the guy with the pants. Then the PC goes back and sets her free, apologises, and probably gives Haer'Dalis a clip around the ears.

I don't think the tests in Hell can make you good if you were evil to start with, although there is a mod which allows for this.

About the Big Metal Unit: (spoiler?)
    ------------------------------------
    -10 AC, makes you look like an adamantite golem
    Attribute bonuses
    Comes with the Big Metal Rod, essentially a howitzer. You also get ammunition for it.

11. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Well...if you are of neutral alignment, the familiars are quite handy. Chaotic Neutral nets you the Cat, which is an awesome scout. The Rabbit for True Neutrals is Hasted all the time and can detect traps, IIRC. The Ferret (LN) can pick pockets as well.

The meleeing capabilities or spellcasting capabilities of all other familiars are sadly lacking however. BUT, any mage type character can surely benefit a lot from say, 12-15 extra hit points.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.