1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Abortion or Not?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Blackthorne TA, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    So as I mentioned elsewhere I just read The Immortality Factor by Ben Bova. One small thread in the novel was that one of the main character's baby was determined to have spina bifida while still in the womb. In the novel, the disease was described much worse than Wikipedia does; essentially that the baby would be a cripple with no control over bowels or bladder, would be mentally retarded, would require constant care and would certainly die before age 30. In the novel, the woman decides to keep the baby to term rather than abort it knowing that her and her husband's lives would be ruined even though a prior miscarriage was shrugged off as no big deal. Seemed like a strange way for the author to write the character, but because of that the idea stuck with me.

So, if you were going to have a baby as described in the novel, would you choose to abort it rather than face the prospect of caring for it all its life and almost certainly outliving it?

I'm fairly certain my vote would be an abortion...

2. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'll share my story. When the wife was pregnant with the now Teen Snook we met with the OB/GYN. Since we are both Jewish there was a higher chance that the baby would be born with Taysachs which is a terminal condition. In the old days the babies would normally not make it to 3, but with modern medecine can now make it a little longer. In order for a baby to have it both parents have to have the "trigger".

Mrs. Snook at the time was adamant that even if the baby was going to have it she was going to have it and fight for its life. I and the doctor were on the other end of spectrum and would have pushed for immediate abortion. After a blood test I was shown not to have the "trigger" so the entire argument was moot.

It was many years later when the two us had a more rational discussion about it before Mrs. Snook admitted her position was more emotional then logical.

I'm not suggesting we should turn into Gattica, but I firmly believe that there is a minimum level of quality of life that is important.

3. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

I would also vote for abortion but it would depend on how far advanced the baby was at the time. Past the first trimester, I would only vote abortion if it was medically necessary for the mother, or perhaps if the child would only live a few days at most in tortured pain and it would be kinder to end its life sooner.

But yes, I dont want to bring a child into a life of pain and suffering. That goes for financial and emotional stability as much as it does the health of the child.

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'd say abort, but then not having children, that's pretty easy for me to say. I'd like to think that, if I were actually faced with the situation, I'd still say abort (for both my and my wife's sake, as well as the child's), but who knows?

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Even as a father I would think I would come down on the side favoring abortion. Even if the book exaggerated the symptoms of spinal bifida, there's no way that someone born with that will even lead a normal life.

6. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Exactly. You hit the nail on the head Snook.

7. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    'Opening can of worms...:rolleyes:'

I am Pro-Abortion in this example (not counting rape, incest or other crimes), if the baby-to-be is going to be damaged or otherwise unhealthy.
    No exception.

For the same reason posted by most above:
    It's an imperative to make sure to give life to the fittest and healthiest.

I insisted on testing us both Me/Her thoroughly before even attempting making kids. Sure there are no guaranties in life, but one can tweak the odds...a bit.

Parents won't be there forever, and sooner or later the care of the 'sick child' will fall into the hands of strangers or impersonal institutions.
    And what kind of half-life is that.

My wife has a really naive and romanticized view about this.
    And it was the source of many of our clashes.
    She believed that it is worth the result; that the parents love will conquer all.:facepalm:

Giving birth to a child knowing it's fate, for the sake of feeling righteous or such, is pure selfishness.

'Closing MY can of worms':cool::cool:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    So far I have only seen men's views (and heard a couple second-hand women's views), and it currently lines up with the author's point of view.

In the book, the mother was adamant (though upset) that she was going to have the child (granted she had some small hope of a future cure) and the father did not want to have the child. He agreed only because he would do anything for her.

9. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Who gets to decide what's an acceptable quality of life? I've always found it interesting that the lowliest beings we see fit to put out of their misery - such as, let's say, starving stray dogs - always fight for their miserable lives. :heh:

Having never worn the shoes, I would guess that if I was living in constant agony I would want to check out, but there's something a bit off-putting about someone else deciding that I didn't have anything to live for.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If I had a choice and the condition would be anywhere near that bad I'd say abortion... I admire the parents who decide on keeping a child that they know in advance will suffer much more than necessary and have a much lower quality of life than a "normal" child under the same conditions... not because deep down I feel that it is an act of selfishness and misplaced "love" but because (I imagine) they realize that the care for such a child will likely occupy a huge part of their life, possibly until the child's death (or their own). In a sense keeping a child like that is an act of ultimate selfishness (or religious fervour where any life, no matter how horrendous, is sacred) and ultimate sacrifice both at the same time. I'm just not sure which of the two prevails.

I just can't buy the "love" angle for intentionally not aborting such a child, though. To me it's akin to letting your child get run over by a car to teach them not to run into the street. One of the parents' roles should be about preventing pain, suffering and misery of their children in any way possible whenever it is sensible to do so - including not bringing into the world a child who will suffer 95% of the time so that it could enjoy maybe 5% of it.

11. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I agree Tal. I would abort. But something came to mind when I read that.

Did you ever see that little kid, maybe 10 years old or so on TV or at an event that is dying of some horrbile disease? Maybe Cancer or Leukemia or something similar. Though they have suffered most of their short lives, when someone does something amazing to help them or they get to experience something that normally their disease wouldn't allow, they light up like a beacon and give praise and thanks to everyone for allowing them that short moment of pleasure. Sometimes it makes me wonder if giving life to a child that can at least glimpse some joy, regardless of affliction, is it worth saving?

12. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Most of the time, I like to beat myself over the head with a hammer because it feels so good on the occasions when I stop.

13. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, that explains some of your more interesting posts, then . . .

:p

Point made though.

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Intentionally bringing a child into a life of misery in return for a glimpse of joy? I wouldn't... but then again, men don't really get to make such choices. Ultimately, it's always the mother's decision. The problem is, pregnant women have a hard time making rational decisions in such cases when they're the ones carrying the child in their womb and when their whole body is out of sync due to various hormonal imbalances...

I'm sure the irrational, primal motherly instinct to protect the fetus at all costs doesn't help either.

15. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Well at least we don't sift through our young and eat the sick and unhealthy ones like some other mammals.

16. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Spina Bifida is where the spine is partially malformed - the backbone and spinal canal do not join up properly. Causing a loss of motor control below a certain point on the spine.

Symptomatically causing weakness of the lower limbs, loss of sensation and possible paralysis below the malformation in the spine and also a relatively high possibility of hydrocephalus - fluid in the cranium.

Surgery at a young age is possible though the condition comes with complications that last a lifetime, most end up in wheelchairs. I have not met any retarded Spina Bifida patients though. Hell, I've met several through university :p

I don't know, I've met enough happy, educated and carefree individuals with the condition that writing them off as candidates to never have been born doesn't sit too well. Personally, I don't think I could keep the child if there was no doubt that it had spina bifida, I have too many other considerations in the equation as it is.

Where do you draw the line of an unhealthy child being aborted? Do you simply draw a line through the population of those who are and aren't allowed to breed?

17. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Tough decision, especially when you throw in the fact that doctors CAN make mistakes. I've heard stories of the doctors guaranteeing that the child will never be more than a veggie but the parents went ahead and had the baby -- and the child was only slightly disabled and had a great life.

That's damn rare, though, I know that. I'm deeply averse to pain myself, and would be loathe to bring a child into the world knowing the child would likely experience excruciating agony.

18. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    I had a cousin with spina bifida, she died aged 5, based on what I saw of her quality of life I would abort.

19. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I think you'll be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't think abortion is the best option in the case BTA described. Maybe the most devout religious people...

Certainly not me, I think abortion is a valid undo in pretty much any case.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.