1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Aasimar blood: who from?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by chevalier, Feb 21, 2003.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    IWD2 desc says deities only, but I know there are some that are descended from some devas etc. I've even heard that's a more complex issue and their aasimar heritage may come from a wide range of sources. Any ideas?

2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Aasimar (as well as Tieflings) are known as "Planetouched" in the Monster Manual (3e, anyways). They can trace their lineage back to a planar entity. I think Icewind Dale II got it wrong when it says a deity. I believe it's more like a Celestial, or perhaps a Good God (although the latter would probably result in something a tad more powerful than an aasimar).

3. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I agree, they come from celestials, not deities. Some of the offspring of deities are listed in the Epic Level Handbook...the Abominations. Way more powerful than mere aasimar.

Aasimar are just supposed to be the good counterparts to tieflings. Genasi are similar, but the offspring of mortals and outsiders from the Inner Planes.

4. chevalier

Media:
    Thanks, guys. So I understand any good planar being goes. But what about the other ways I've heard of like some gift, reward, blessing, curse or special event etc that might create an aasimar without a celestial on the genealogical tree?

5. Oaz Gems: 29/31

1) Get reincarnated as an Aasimar (it's theoretically possible, because the DM may decide what the character gets reincarnated as).

2) There's a spell in Defenders of the Faith that applies the Celestial template to your cleric (who has to be of a good deity, of course). While the Celestial template isn't exactly like the Aasimar, the idea is fairly similar.

3) Just come up with a spell that transforms the character into an Aasimar. Actually Polymorph Self or Polymorph Other can be used to do that, but only Wizards and Sorcerers can cast it.

[ February 21, 2003, 19:10: Message edited by: C'Jakob ]

6. chevalier

Media:
    So a special deity-given blessing before birth making one born Aasimar then isn't real? Just curious.

7. Oaz Gems: 29/31

I think if a deity wanted to personally bless a normal guy, the changes would be a tad, erm, more significant. Make him a Planetar, a Solar. Add the Celestial or Half-Celestial template to him. Whatever. But seeing as it's deity conferring the blessing, I don't see why it isn't possible. The methods I described in the last post are just ways Joe Wizard/Sorcerer/Cleric/Druid could do it.

8. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

A god can obviously do whatever it wanted along these lines.

As for traditional aasimar origins, just remember that the 'celestial' heritage is potentially long, long ago. At the very least, your celestial ancestor is one of your grandparents. If it was one of your parents, you'd be a half celestial.

I'd be willing to bet most aasimars don't know much of anything except maybe some family legend about who or what was responsible for the outsider taint (blessing) in their family line.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

9. chevalier

Media:
    Thank you all for explanation :) Now I think I know all I wanted to know...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.