1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A Worthy Challenge

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Mr Writer, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] I'm looking for a realy challenging experience in bg2, I was thinking of maybe doing an all mage party or something, basicaly im looking for sugestions. Then when i start report back on the progress of my motley crew (or if its soling person) so any suggestions

2. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

try a solo jester

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] IMHO there is no challenging in BG2.

But since you're Mr Writer, I'd suggest you one of these:

1. To write a better walkthrough than those on SP.

2. To find out all NPC stats, skills, spells etc - regarding the level of your NPC. Such list was never written or posted on SP.

3. To write down all bugs in SoA so we can contact Bioware/Black Isle and ask them to correct these. Or we can make our own UNOFFICIAL patch on those bugs.

I would do points 2 and 3 by myself, but I'm currently on Arcanum... ;)

4. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Actually a solo jester is possible. While participating in another forum, I read a walkthrough relating to a solo jester and it was a riot, though some of the tactics used were admittedly a bit "cheesy" (as most soloes are forced to do).

OTOH, I have only heard of one shapeshifter making it all the way through - that would be a challenge (my own attempt at a solo shapeshifter made it only to Chapter 5 before dying.)

5. Black Rose Guest

I kinda agree with Extremist.

Write a story based walkthrough like the following:
    http://members.home.com/mrkevvy/journal.html [Elmonster's Journal]

Except do it with a different class, as the author of the above wrote as a solo Mage. May I suggest:

A) A Solo Bard.. done in bardic tale form. Would be fun to read, and certainly challenging.

B) A Solo Kensai. No dual class.

C) A Solo Cleric.

6. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Its not about the character class but about stats. Pick a human fighter and take 6 in all stats and 9 in strenght. :) You wanted a challenge wouldn't you. And such looser would be worth writing about. In a solo of course.

7. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

I accept that challenge... Story topic will be Lerrahud - stats -966666. Will play in parallel to the dwarven skald story.

8. Wildfire Gems: 23/31

Veteran

[​IMG] Ooh! I have a challange! You must play the game in a way that is not defined as cheesy by Artechoke. I.E. you must not do/use any of the things he mentions here: http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/003658.html . That should be fairly hard, without being impossible :D. Have fun... :D :heh:

9. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

Well, I don't accept those restrictions. Sorry.

Specifically,
    <<8. Summoning monsters to delay a monster from eating your party.
    9. Summoning monsters to kill enemies.
    10. Summoning monsters.
    11. Use of any magic whatsoever.
    12. Use of any stragtegy other than charging headlong into combat.
    13. Use of any spells, summoned monsters, or special abilities against a dragon.
    14. Use of the bonus merchants (although we are currently spending millions in research, in an attempt to determine if this is actually a cheat - the debate rages on.)
    >>

He can class all of those things as cheats if he wants. I don't. Then again, with an INT and WIS of 6 each, those things will limit certain role playing tactics. I DO understand that those llimits were probably offered as "tongue in cheek" sarcasm in that thread.

However, in my thread/story/game, I will use whatever my stats, class and alignment allow. I won't deliberately exploit any bugs - except possibly the expose self-lure-run-hide-attack one to separate opponents from their parties and try ot take them on one on one, especially early on.

This is more in line with Earl Grey's comment further down that same thread.

10. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Well, Kailynne, you know, *you* weren't the one who initially asked for a challenge, after all. Wildfire's post was probably a response to Mr. Writer's original request for an interesting challenge he could pursue, not a demand about how you should play your current game.

11. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

Nothing prevents more than one person from accepting any challenge! I just thought this would be an interesting one - especially after having had to babysit my dwarven bards for a while... This will either be doable or I will die early on I believe.... I would like to see how else someone else would play the same challenge.... More power to them.

12. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

i still dont get how cheesy tactic #12 mentioned above is cheesy... i mean thats what fighters do! =)

why make the battle so much more difficult by... not charging into battle!!! =)

id like to see someone win the game by not using magic or fighting at all

13. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

ArtEcHoke was being facetious or ironic there. He said so lower in that thread. But, I wanted to make sure here that no one took those particular items seriously since his "suggestions" for what is cheese were made tongue in cheek.

14. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31

[​IMG] Let me see,

A solo Jester... Maybe sounds interesting

A solo Shapeshifter... Also sounds interesting

A solo Kensai my favorite at the mo

The fighter with all 6, it seems KJ has taken that one up

And if i did it the way wildfire sujjested it wouldn't make for intersting reading, found some hard monsters.... Charged... More monsters I charged em. You will never guess what i did to the next lot... Yup i charged em.

So unless anyone has any objections I will take up the challeng of either a Jester ShpaeShifter or Kensai, What do you think would make best reading, and im no good at writing bardic style so sorry if you were hoping for a song on the adventures of a jester sorry. So whats the verdict, what story would you most like to here?

Oh and extreamist i am already working on a walk through so when its finished I will hand it over for posting.

[This message has been edited by Mr Writer (edited October 08, 2001).]

15. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Shapeshifter. 'Twould be fun to read about someone who tries to maintain balance for once. I don't think the solo thing is necessary, you could bring Cernd along if you wish.

KJ, if you're going to play a reverse of Duharrel, shouldn't he at least be wise and charismatic? It would destroy the 966666-idea, yes, but having a high wisdom and charisma doesn't help a fighter very much, right? But you should do what you want, of course. :)

16. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31

[​IMG] looks like its a shapeshifter then, and i want to do it solo

Now all I need to do is think up a name and im away, look for a topic called (name to be decided) The search for balence

17. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

Mr Writer - seriously, if you want to try the 966666 thing, go for it. What prevents two people from trying the same thing? Hell, I am not even sure that I will succeeed with this while you might! Running the "same theme" in parallel would allow for some interesting comparisons as well as a sense of competition.

I certainly did not mean to steal your thunder - if I did, I apologize.

18. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I think I'm claiming the solo Cleric quest. It ought to be quite interesting.... Any recommended race? Can you tell me what the hit points per level increase for clerics are, and if they get any bonus from having a constitution over 16? And, finally, if I roleplay a solo cleric.... Will you guys read my tale? I'll try to make it as interesting as possible!!

19. Black Rose Guest

Tiamat - I'll gladly read it! I was thinking about starting a solo cleric game.. but then the Forgotten Five popped up.

20. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31

[​IMG] hmmm sounds interesting KJ, i started the shpeshifter earlier and compared to other solos i have done it seems too easy, so howbout we do the 966666 thing together

Although my writing ain't as good as yours.

I think we should use the same topic so its easyier to compare. But then it would be easyier to get mixed up hoe hum quite a dilema.

And on stealing the thunder bit i don't mind... Im a very laid back sorta guy, in fact im nearly falling over.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.